“There's the good and the bad” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton New York Grand Central

Hilton New York Grand Central
Ranked #305 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
“There's the good and the bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2008

We stayed on a popular weekend, so prices were high, $300 before taxes. The good is: the room is quiet, as is the the a/c. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom and tolietries were nice. The bad is: the room was a little dusty (especially with the sun shining in) and the hotel had a tired feeling. There was a mini bar, but it was empty and used as a tv stand. We booked a junior suite, which it was not. It was one square room that also had a couch. If we had paid a bargain price, it would have been fine. I do love the location, 2 blocks from Grand Central, but in a quiet location.

• Liked — Quiet
  • Disliked — No that clean
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2008

I just returned from a trip to NYC. I was there 3 nights and because budget was an issue, I stayed at 3 different hotels, which I bid for on Priceline. The first was the Tudor at the UN. $215. THE UPSIDE: It is a charming, old-world hotel. Each of the three rooms in our party was unique. MY room had two twin beds, which I have only seen in Europe. As I was traveling with my adult son, this was perfect for us. The room was clean and comfortable which was what I needed. If you were to spend a lot of time in the room, it would only accommodate one person, but my companions each had three people in their rooms, their rooms were quite a bit larger and they were quite comfortable. The staff was very helpful and friendly and helped each in our party to get the type of room best suited to them. For one of the rooms this involved a substantial upgrade at no additional cost. The concierge, bell staff, front desk staff were very friendly and helpful, going so far as to give us tips on our destinations for the day. The maintenance staff who I saw here and there (there were no problems that I needed them for) all greeted us with a smile and a "good morning". THE DOWNSIDE: Although the hotel is lovely and in a lovely neighborhood, it is close to the East River and going out can require a cab or a trip on a crosstown bus to Grand Central to get the subway. We walked for the most part, but that may not be for everyone.

• Liked — It's charm
  • Disliked — It's location
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
Bergamo, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2008

we stayed at Tudor Hotel from August 7 to 10th. The room was clean and nice, bathroom pretty big and clean. We asked a few times some info at the desk they were always very kind and helpful. It's in a quite neighborhood, and close to any attractions. nothing negative to say about it.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the air conditioning that was still running even if it was turned off! how come!?
Saint Paul, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2008

I am somewhat conflicted as far as this hotel goes and whether or not I would recommend someone to stay there or not. We arrived on 9/4 and the two people who checked us in were very pleasant and gave us a room. We dropped off our luggage and went exploring, when we came back around 1:00am we inquired about getting a different room as our room had mold in the tub and in general was very damp. She said it would depend on our reservation, looked it up and said "oh yeah, no we don't have any other rooms available" I had booked on hotwire so I know exactly what she was saying without saying it. Had she said "due to your discounted rate we are unable to move you to a better room" I could have maybe accepted that. But I knew she was blatantly lying to me because I had just checked on the internet and for the length of our stay they still had Superior and Junior Suites available. She just wasn't willing to upgrade us. It was being lied to that has left a sour taste in my mouth with this hotel and the woman working the front desk was extremely rude. So I guess if you book on a discount site for this hotel, that entitles you to a room with mold in the bathroom and damp bedding.

With that being said the beds were extremely comfortable (despite being damp feeling) and the room was an OK size for a NY hotel room. We were on the 9th floor of the North tower...no view of any kind except a brick wall, but thats pretty typical in NY.

I am also conflicted with whether or not the location of the hotel is convenient or not. I liked the fact that our nearest subway station was Grand Central since most of the subway lines go through there so no matter where we were in the city it was easy to get back to our hotel area. However, every other hotel I have stayed at in NY was a 3 or 4 minute walk from the nearest subway station. While The Tudor is only 2 1/2 blocks from Grand Central it is 2 1/2 NY LONG blocks. Which took about 10 minutes walking at a pretty decent clip. Then because Grand Central is so huge it took about another 5 minutes to get to the correct subway line. So round trip from our hotel we always had to factor an extra half hour into our travel time.

There were some very convenient aspects of this location, an Irish bar right across the street (but sadly played country music which I don't care for) a couple of Starbucks within a few blocks, a great diner a couple blocks away (I think its called the Comfort Diner, the hotel Conierge recommended it). The bath amenities in the room were plentiful and were Bath and Body Works, not some cheap off brand. The towels were fluffy (although damp, never dry).

When I got home and unpacked my suitcase, all the clothes I had with me smelled musty and damp, so with that as a consideration and the fact that I abhor being lied to I would probably say I will not be staying at the Tudor the next time I am in NY.

• Stayed September 2008
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2008

The Tudor was recommended to me by a friend who had stayed there before for business.

From check-in right through my check-out 3 days later, I had a great experience. First, the ladies at reception were exceptionally professional and polite. I had checked with the hotel before my departure about receiving an early-check in (at 9am instead of the customary 3pm) and they were able to acccomodate me with only a brief 5 minute wait while my superior queen room was checked over by housekeeping management.

The room, while small by normal North American standards, was a fine size for New York. Everything was very clean and the bedlinens were very soft and comfortable.

I ate breakfast at the hotel's restaurant once during my stay. It was overpriced and had the worst eggs ever made in history. Avoid the restaurant if you can.

The business centre, while easy to use, charged a very high price for internet access (something crazy like 30 cents a minute!).

That said, I would definitely stay at the Tudor again. The neighbourhood is great and I was able to walk easily to the theatre district, Grand Central and the UN.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
Washington DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2008

I stayed at the hotel one night and didn't have any issues. Upon checking in I was given a free upgrade from a double room to a suite. The hotel staff from check in and leaving were excellent. The room itself was very clean and large given that most hotel rooms in New York were very small. In fact, we had friends staying at the Helmsey Hotel just a block away and they commented how nice our hotel room was and that their room was small and their a/c system didn't work too well. In all, we were very satisfied with our stay.

• Liked — Cleanliness of Hotel
  • Disliked — Small elevators
1 Thank pinayloca
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2008

I was at the Tudor hotel for 3 nights and was really surprised at how lovely it was! Like many other reviews, I quickly came to the conclusion that NYC hotels are very expensive so wasn't really expecting much, particularly as some reviews said the rooms at the Tudor were not very big. However, we clearly got a lucky draw as our room was lovely and really spacious(We had a twin room)! We checked in easy, were never bothered and location wise it is great! A 15 minute walk to Grand Central station and right round the corner from the hotel is a grocery store, subway and Dunkin Donuts shops! What more do you need?!