“Good” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #306 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Fort McMurray, Canada
“Good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

Friendly staff and clean accommodations! Good food but bar is expensive. Smaller rooms but it is NYC. Our room had a lovely balcony. Very disappointed about having to pay for in room and business centre internet access.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

TedMcCallum, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for your feedbackabout the cost of some of our services. We do our very best to keep all of our prices competitive. Your kind comments about our hotel, our food, and the friendliness of our staff are greatly appreciated.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Turkish first
Windsor, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

Reasonably good location, not in the "thick" of everything but accessible to anywhere in Manhattan. Staff are very accommodating, friendly and willing to please. This is not a big corporate style hotel, more of a chain boutique affair. The rooms are split between two towers. I stayed in an "03" room on the 42nd St end tower.
Room was ok, but small and you have the feeling of it being cramped. It has everything in there, just nowhere you can suitably put a suitcase without it being in the way. There's two feet either side of the bed which just about takes up the all the space. I recognise that the building is an old manhattan construction and the rooms in their day were of an acceptable size. That said, they're reasonably well appointed with nice toiletries and a two cup fresh coffee maker.
There was some issue getting connected to the hotel's WiFi system and it took me the best part of an hour to get it sorted with the tech support helpline, which eventually got me hooked up, but I've got to say it was a pain,.....as it was on my last visit here.
The gym is a bit of a non event. Small ,with 3 treadmills, one cross-trainer and a rack of weights....and that's it. Hotel chains really need to get with the programme when it comes to gym installations. The space could really be better utilized with a more useful range of gym kit installed.

For a New York hotel it was adequate. Not bad, not great

Room Tip: Rooms "03" , the two windows in the room are directly overlooked, so the blinds are contin...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
TedMcCallum, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Thank you for the kind comments about the friendliness and helpfulness of our staff. I am sorry you experienced any difficulty with your wireless connection. We will soon have expanded wi-fi capacity to handle the nultiple devices used by many of our guests. Your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated and we hope to welcome you to our hotel again.
Bradfordwoods, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

We stayed at the Hilton Manhattan East for one night after returning from a long flight overseas. We were exhausted. The front desk staff was so friendly and accommodating. We received a great upgrade to a junior suite (it was our anniversary) and any questions we had were immediately and courteously answered. Loved the balcony!

The breakfast buffet was great with lots of choices. Service at breakfast was stellar.

You cannot beat the location of this hotel. It's 2 blocks from Grand Central Station, from which you can get to virtually anywhere. We chose this Hilton because we thought there would be fewer traffic issues getting back to the airport and we were correct. This is an older building but that added to its charms. I would absolutely stay at this property again & highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony. Hilton is generous with upgrades if rooms are available.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Juliet K
Thank you for such a wonderful endorsement of our hotel, our location, and our staff ...and a belated Happy Anniversary!
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

I absolutely loved this hotel. I don't often write reviews, but this hotel deserves the extra attention! I stayed here over 4th of July and it was wonderful. The hotel is centrally located, walkind distance to Grand Central Station, 5th Avenue, Times Square, and even Central Park if you like walking. The room was clean and nice. It wasn't huge, but that isn't what I needed. The customer service at this hotel was unbelievably GREAT. It was my first time to New York and they were EXTREMELY HELPFUL. Guiding me where to go and just being courteous and kind.

My absolute favorite part of this hotel's customer service was the day that we left the hotel. As I had never been in the city before and had never used a shuttle service to the aiport, I was unfamiliar with the protocol for reserving a ride back to the airport. About 30 minutes before I had to leave the hotel I asked about the shuttle to the airport, and was informed very kindly that I had missed the cutoff for the shuttle. I was a little bumbed, but simply thanked them and said I would just take a cab. One of the bellmen there overheard me and said "when you are ready, let me know and I will get you a ride." I assumed he was just saying that he would hail us a taxi. I was mistaken. As we walked outside and I informed the bellhop we were leaving, he guided us to very fancy private Suburban. This bellhop talked to the driver of the hotel and arranged for him to give us a ride at the same cost as the shuttle. It was wonderful. We made it on time to the airport and were extremely pleased with the service. Please thank your employees for all of their wonderful efforts. It makes a huge difference. I have planned trips to New York for friends and family since then and I ALWAYS recommend this hotel first.

Room Tip: I would maybe ask for a room that looks out to the street. It was wonderful even when I had a room...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TedMcCallum, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
I have to say we all loved reading your review. Our staff works very hard to make a positive impression on all of our guests, but it is especially gratifying when we can make someone's first visit to New York so special and enjoyable. Thank you for sharing your story with us. Our bell staff truly appreciates your recognition of their personal service. Please come visit us again soon.
Bloomfield Hills
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

Short less than 1/2 mile walk to Grand Central. Great Hotel. Great Service. The Bar seemed nice. We didn't eat or drink here though. We had a Suite with a pull out bed for the kids. It worked well. If you don't mind walking there are a number of nice places to eat nearby.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JohnericDetroit
Thank you for pointing out how convenient we are to Grand Central Terminal and many area restaurants. More importantly, we genuinely appreciate the "great service"comment. This is exactly what we strive for every day. We are very pleased to know that yor family enjoyed your stay with us.
Reston, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

I am a frequent traveler to NYC and have stayed at many hotels. This by far was one of the best. Great location, quiet rooms and top notch service. I got an upgraded room at check-in to a Jr. Suite and the restaurant/lounge staff is extremely friendly. Most servers do a good job, the folks here did an outstanding job making sure I had everything I needed. Recommended.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Timothy R
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you felt our accommodations, staff, and service exceeded your expectations. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel soon.
Apex, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

This is more of a boutique hotel. Has a lot of that old world feel/charm. My room was tucked away and was extremely quiet for being in NYC. The location is slightly off the beaten path which is good or bad depending on what you are looking for. Accommodations are what you would expect - overall a nice place.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
TedMcCallum, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for your review. You are correct in pointing out that we are a more boutique-style hotel located on the quieter East Side of Manhattan, yet very close to Grand Central Terminal and the mid-town attractions. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you will return soon.