“Just right” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #305 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Apex, North Carolina
“Just right”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

This is more of a boutique hotel. Has a lot of that old world feel/charm. My room was tucked away and was extremely quiet for being in NYC. The location is slightly off the beaten path which is good or bad depending on what you are looking for. Accommodations are what you would expect - overall a nice place.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
TedMcCallum, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for your review. You are correct in pointing out that we are a more boutique-style hotel located on the quieter East Side of Manhattan, yet very close to Grand Central Terminal and the mid-town attractions. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you will return soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Turkish first
Camden, Maine
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

To start i have to say I am a frequent guest at Hiltons around the country. I like the Brand, it has upto this recent experiencd always proven to be good for me. My stay at this hotel was horrible, though. As a Hilton Honors member, i was given a room that was hidden in the back allys of the hotel, where I could hear the A/C unit powering on and off till late at night and then begining early in the morning. And to top that off, my on-demand tv wasn't working. To give the benefit of the doubt, maybe if i had called, they would have moved me to another room, but i wa so tired of my trip i just wanted to rest.
For me this has been the only example of loyalty to the brand has not paid off.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is not on the first floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I am very sorry that you were displeased with your room and the On Demand television service. I can assure you that this is not typical of this or any other Hilton Hotel. Please feel free to contact me prior to your next visit to New York so that I can personally make sure that you will enjoy your stay with us. Thank you for your loyalty to Hilton Hotels and for bringing this matter to our attention.
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Was pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to a suite on a recent business trip - very roomy and modern room, nicely appointed. Really great location, a few blocks from Grand Central. Very professional and accommodating staff. A comfortable stay.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks so much for taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed your stay and the services provided by our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to New York City.
Omaha, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

The staff is great, wonderful and helpful. Very service oriented...which is very important to me. The hotel itself is tired and in need of a facelift in every area. Heating and Air conditioning is barely functional, limited number of king bed rooms and the various in room amenities are limited, i.e., trash cans, refrigerators, etc.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your comments about the service levels provided by our staff. We actually have a substantial number of king-bedded rooms, but reservations are typically required as they are in very high demand. I apologize if we did not have one available for you. Refrigerators are available upon request, but we do not have refrigerators in all of our guest rooms. Please let us know your needs prior to your next visit and we will be happy to make any arrangements for you.
Floral Park, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

As a Hilton HHonors Gold member, I frequently stay at Hilton properties. Unfortunately this one did not live up to my expectations. The front desk staff was great, but everywhere else the place was terribly understaffed. Arriving at 3:30pm (after the 3pm checkin time), there were no available upgrade rooms (which didn't bother me), and no rooms at all to check us into until a "large airline group" checked out around 5pm. Since we had 5pm dinner reservations, we were offered complimentary drinks in the bar while we waited an hour for someone to check out. Unfortunately, after waiting 20 minutes for the bartender to show up, we had to ask someone at the front desk find her.

No one checked out in the hour we waited, so we left our bags with the valet at 4:45 and left for dinner and a show. Arriving back at 11:30pm, we were immediately given the key to our room, which we found to be clean and well kept. The next morning we stopped by the front desk to inquire about our free breakfast (since there was no mention of that the prior night), and were given our breakfast coupons. But the restaurant was in chaos. There was a queue at the door, no one seating people, two waiters rushing all over the room cleaning tables and resetting them while other guests hovered nearby waiting to sit. They needed at least two more wait or bus staff to clear the tables. The food was satisfactory, but nothing to write home about (canned juices, average scrambled eggs, very carb-heavy, etc.).

So while I'm still a loyal Hilton customer, I will not be staying at this particular property again.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less street traffic noise. Room 1515 was a corner unit facing two other outside b...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank KDeegs423
TedMcCallum, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Please accept our sincere apology for the delay in providing access to your room during a sold out period. Thank you for the feedback about the breakfast service in our restaurant, as it will assist in our ongoing efforts to provide excellent service to our guests. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel for a future stay.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

Average Hilton Quality.. not a bad location as it is a short (about 6 city blocks) from TImes Square and even closer to Grand Central Station. The staff were (as all Hilton staff are) very friendly and the lady who checked us in worked very hard to give us an upgraded room. Even after all that effort, we had an excellent view of a Brick Wall. I am not sure where the good rooms are in terms of view, but we didn't get it.
Its an older hotel so I was awoken by strange noises and loud pipes at all hours of the night. The breakfast areas seemed to open rather later for a business traveller (7 versus a usual 6:30 or 6) and that was odd. We did not eat here (except for breakfast) so I cannot comment on that.
I picked this place for the price and location to Times Square and for that, it served its purpose.

If you can afford it, looks for something closer to times square (in times square) or closer to Grand Central Station as you wil have quick access to all subways.

Room Tip: Insist you get a good view...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
TedMcCallum, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
We apreciate the kind comments about our friendly staff and our convenient location. I do apologize for the lack of a nice view becaus so many of our rooms offer very nice views of the sights of New York. Please do ask for one of these rooms during a future stay so we can provide you with a more enjoyable experience. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us.
kent
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

Myself and my partner go away quite a bit and had high hopes for this hotel as it's a well known hilton. When we arrived at the hotel one of the staff were rude to us and acted as if she didn't want to be there at all, Which is not what you want when your on your holiday. We expected a small room and this was not an issue however when in the bathroom a massive crack in the floor tile under the sink which we couldn't avoid to the size of the room and also right where you would stand when using the sink this was unacceptable. There was also scaffolding blocking our window so there was no view, and we were not informed of this during check in.
They then also when we checked in held too much money on my visa which meant the money I had saved to spend in NY I couldn't because they had made a mistake. This did unnerve me a bit as for a hilton I did not expect this and this should not happen. I think just have a think about your hotel when your staying in New York and maybe choose a boutique hotel with better reviews. And I'm not normally one to complain and am normally open minded when it comes to hotels but I won't be going back here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
There is no excuse for rude treatment of guests or errors of the kind you described. I am very sorry that we did not deliver the level of service that you rightfully expected. Please consider giving us another opportunity to be of greater service.