WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #299 of 477 Hotels in New York City
Port Macquarie, New South Wales, Australia
“A quaint hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

Close proximity to Times Square, Grand Central Railway Station, restaurants & bars. Yes the rooms are small but but hey this is NYC. The rooms are very comfortable & clean. The bar / restaurant area is excellent & bar snacks are adequate for quick bite.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
TedMcCallum, General Manager at Hilton Manhattan East, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thanks so much for writing to let others know how convenient our location is to the sights and sounds of New York City. We hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
  • Turkish first
Vacaville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

This hotel amazed me with breathtaking views of Tudor City. Yes the rooms are smallish but who stays in their room in NYC? We lucked out with a balcony overlooking the east river. My husband and i were overjoyed and felt the service was excellent, i am definately staying here again!

• Stayed September 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed your recent stay at our hotel. We do have several rooms with balconies and spectacular views so I am so glad you enjoyed this feature. Many thanks also for your kind comments about our staff. We look forward to welcoming you when you return to New York.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

Hilton Manhattan East is a charming little boutique-style hotel near the heart of Manhattan, close to many things like Grand Central, subways, restaurants, bars, and so forth, but it’s off a major avenue so the neighborhood is quiet (compared to hotels on the avenues).

The building is almost a century old, so the halls are super-small by modern standards, and the elevators are tiny. But the rooms are refurbished, very comfortable, and decorated with taste. The bathrooms are modern and gorgeous, lots of marble. The lobby is immaculate and also very modern. Staff is friendly and attentive. Each room has a closet (not just a closet cabinet) dresser, desk, and programmable personal safe.

If you’re looking for traditional Hilton uber-glitz with chocolate on the pillows, floor-to-ceiling windows, and power-operated curtains, then look elsewhere. But if you want a comfortable, quiet, happy property where staff remembers your face, then this is the place for you.

That being said, I had a couple of complaints, but they’re minor complaints (for me).

1. My room had two temperature systems, one was a standard in-room thermostat control, and a second system was automatic building-wide (surely a hold-over from past decades). The practical result is that the second system was always on, in this case cooling the room even when I was cold. My simple solution was to use the thermostat system heater to balance the temp. It worked perfectly, but it required some thought to implement.

2. My mattress was a bit saggy in the middle. Nevertheless, I slept well.

Neither of my complaints were deal breakers. Also, I didn't eat at the restaurant or drink at the bar. Both looked inviting, so perhaps I'll try them another time, but with all of Manhattan outside, hanging around in the hotel was not on my to-do list.

Overall, I loved this little hotel, and will definitely return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We loved your description of a "comfortable, quiet, happy property where the staff remembers your face." This is indeed that kind of hotel. We will address the thermostat and the mattress comments, but we truly apprciate your kind comments about our hotel and our people. We hope to see you again soon.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

I stayed 2 nights at this hotel at the beginning of September with my sister. We booked the Hilton because they had smoking rooms but when we checked in the smoking room had not been requested! The reception staff were very polite and courteous but could not give us a smoking room as they only had 3 and they were all occupied!! Had I known this I would have booked Millennium Broadway as it's much more central. The room was clean but very small and the location wasn't great, a good 20 minutes walk to Macy's and Time Square. I wouldn't stay here again as just too far away from the buzz of Time Square.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Huntington Beach, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

Staying midtown was critical to our trip experience. The hotel is walking distance to most sites, including Grand Central Station. We only took a cab to and from Penn Station, and an Uptown dinner engagement (we walked back).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Huntersville, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

Upon our arrival, we were immediately greeted by bellman. The concierge and hotel check-in staff were courteous and helpful. The rooms are a bit small, but that is okay in New York with the limited amount of real estate. Besides, we were only there to lay our heads.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

I stayed at the Hilton Manhattan East recently for one night. Considering the sky high prices of Manhattan hotels, this Hilton came at a good price. The location was also slightly off the hustle and bustle of Times Square, which was a good reprieve, but neither was it so far away that you are out of action. It took me about 25 minutes to walk to the main Times Square area.

John from the recep was a delight. When I called, John quickly acceded to my request to change from 1 king sized bed to 2 double beds, he also helped me locate a lost parcel and had it sent up to my room quickly. This was a huge contrast to another female recep, who didnt really bother searching when I enquired about my parcel at the counter and told me off instead for not knowing which company the parcel was from.

The internet charges are ridiculous though, 14.95 USD for one day per device. With many hotels now absorbing the cost of wifi, to pay such prices is uncalled for. When I went down to inform the recep about my spoilt phone, the recep was kind enough to waive off any wifi charges I incurred due to the spoilt phone. Otherwise, I'd have been truly unhappy at paying such prices.

The room itself - well I guess it was pretty decent size by Manhattan standards, and it could fit 2 double beds, so nothing to complain about. There was no bar fridge or anything of that sort, which was quite surprising though.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends