“A Charming Boutique Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Manhattan East

Hilton Manhattan East
Ranked #285 of 475 Hotels in New York City
Los Angeles, California
“A Charming Boutique Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Hilton Manhattan East is a charming little boutique-style hotel near the heart of Manhattan, close to many things like Grand Central, subways, restaurants, bars, and so forth, but it’s off a major avenue so the neighborhood is quiet (compared to hotels on the avenues).

The building is almost a century old, so the halls are super-small by modern standards, and the elevators are tiny. But the rooms are refurbished, very comfortable, and decorated with taste. The bathrooms are modern and gorgeous, lots of marble. The lobby is immaculate and also very modern. Staff is friendly and attentive. Each room has a closet (not just a closet cabinet) dresser, desk, and programmable personal safe.

If you’re looking for traditional Hilton uber-glitz with chocolate on the pillows, floor-to-ceiling windows, and power-operated curtains, then look elsewhere. But if you want a comfortable, quiet, happy property where staff remembers your face, then this is the place for you.

That being said, I had a couple of complaints, but they’re minor complaints (for me).

1. My room had two temperature systems, one was a standard in-room thermostat control, and a second system was automatic building-wide (surely a hold-over from past decades). The practical result is that the second system was always on, in this case cooling the room even when I was cold. My simple solution was to use the thermostat system heater to balance the temp. It worked perfectly, but it required some thought to implement.

2. My mattress was a bit saggy in the middle. Nevertheless, I slept well.

Neither of my complaints were deal breakers. Also, I didn't eat at the restaurant or drink at the bar. Both looked inviting, so perhaps I'll try them another time, but with all of Manhattan outside, hanging around in the hotel was not on my to-do list.

Overall, I loved this little hotel, and will definitely return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
TedMcCallum, General Manager at Hilton Manhattan East, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
We loved your description of a "comfortable, quiet, happy property where the staff remembers your face." This is indeed that kind of hotel. We will address the thermostat and the mattress comments, but we truly apprciate your kind comments about our hotel and our people. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I stayed 2 nights at this hotel at the beginning of September with my sister. We booked the Hilton because they had smoking rooms but when we checked in the smoking room had not been requested! The reception staff were very polite and courteous but could not give us a smoking room as they only had 3 and they were all occupied!! Had I known this I would have booked Millennium Broadway as it's much more central. The room was clean but very small and the location wasn't great, a good 20 minutes walk to Macy's and Time Square. I wouldn't stay here again as just too far away from the buzz of Time Square.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Huntington Beach, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Staying midtown was critical to our trip experience. The hotel is walking distance to most sites, including Grand Central Station. We only took a cab to and from Penn Station, and an Uptown dinner engagement (we walked back).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Huntersville, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Upon our arrival, we were immediately greeted by bellman. The concierge and hotel check-in staff were courteous and helpful. The rooms are a bit small, but that is okay in New York with the limited amount of real estate. Besides, we were only there to lay our heads.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I stayed at the Hilton Manhattan East recently for one night. Considering the sky high prices of Manhattan hotels, this Hilton came at a good price. The location was also slightly off the hustle and bustle of Times Square, which was a good reprieve, but neither was it so far away that you are out of action. It took me about 25 minutes to walk to the main Times Square area.

John from the recep was a delight. When I called, John quickly acceded to my request to change from 1 king sized bed to 2 double beds, he also helped me locate a lost parcel and had it sent up to my room quickly. This was a huge contrast to another female recep, who didnt really bother searching when I enquired about my parcel at the counter and told me off instead for not knowing which company the parcel was from.

The internet charges are ridiculous though, 14.95 USD for one day per device. With many hotels now absorbing the cost of wifi, to pay such prices is uncalled for. When I went down to inform the recep about my spoilt phone, the recep was kind enough to waive off any wifi charges I incurred due to the spoilt phone. Otherwise, I'd have been truly unhappy at paying such prices.

The room itself - well I guess it was pretty decent size by Manhattan standards, and it could fit 2 double beds, so nothing to complain about. There was no bar fridge or anything of that sort, which was quite surprising though.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

The best thing about this quaint little Hilton, which is actually registered as a historic building/hotel, is, in my view, the staff. From John, who was a delight when I called and so helpful in assigning our rooms in advance based on my concerns, to every person we dealt with at the desk during our three night stay- I was constantly amazed at how sweet, accommodating and patient every member of the staff was. The doormen and valet folks were exceptional and always smiling, or joking - greeting you, and chatting with you. Every person seemed to go out of their way to be friendly. Housekeeping staff was also delightful and thoughtful..... altogether: Rather a shock, after years of going to NYC a few times a year.

The rooms were fine- nothing exceptional. Very clean, comfortable beds. The windows have interesting railings that are part of the historic structure, but add charm to the place. There really was nothing to rave about the rooms - comfortable enough- standard NYC hotel rooms, with associated noise issues. We could hear the conversations in the room next to us, and the hallway, but its rare to experience otherwise in these older hotel rooms.

If you are a Hilton Honors member you get free wifi, and this was certainly a bonus. Great connection and speed.

Finally, the location is ideal if you need to get to Grand Central Station and take trains to other destinations - but if your only aim is to stay around Broadway and the theater district, you will have to walk longer than many other midtown hotels. Then again, you have far better restaurant choices on 1st and 2nd that in the midst of the Times Square area.

I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Matars_Z
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Having stayed at other Hiltons, we were on their e-mailing list and received notice of a rate that was reasonable for this hotel. Since we would be in New York anyway, we booked for three nights in mid-August. We arrived earlier than expected; our room was understandably not ready but we were efficiently checked in and told to return after 1:00. We decided we would go for lunch; we also needed to order a birthday cake. We asked the concierge for directions as to where to go. She was a lovely young Russian who clearly had an issue with language. She sent us to a bakery a block away; when we got there we learned it had moved some months earlier. A concierge needs to be current on those things. We asked for a nearby coffee shop (like a sandwich shop) and were told a particular corner to go to. When we got there It turned out to be a Starbuck's ~ literally a shop for coffee but not sandwiches. My husband asked her where the nearest Apple store was. The address she have him was for the biggest Apple store, miles further than the smaller store just two blocks away from the hotel.
When we returned, we were told we were given an upgrade. Great! The room on an upper floor was nicely sized. However, we hadn't been told that this so-called upgrade had constriction going on right outside our window, on a patio. I had to keep the drapes closed all day. The noise was deafening; I couldn't sleep in or take a nap and my nerves began to frazzle. Then there was the bathroom. The sink was so low that I had to hunch over to wash ~ and I'm only 5'1". The water pressure in the shower was better than a trickle, but not by much. We complained and were told that it would be fixed ~ it never was. The location of the hotel, however, is great. It's near shopping, Grand Central Station and convenient for public busses and subways. Good thing, too, as we had to stay away all day in order to,avoid the construction disturbance. we chose not to eat in the hotel as the prices were high.
This hotel is not representative of our experiences at other Hilton hotels. I did honestly complete an online survey sent to me by Hilton. They never even had the courtesy to contact me.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple