“Friendly Staff but Hotel Needs Serious Upgrade”

Hilton New York Grand Central
Ranked #310 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Frankfurt, Germany
“Friendly Staff but Hotel Needs Serious Upgrade”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

Stayed here for business trip. The hotel is easy to find (though make sure you tell the taxi "Hilton by the UN" as there is another Hilton not too far away). The staff were cordial and friendly and the room was of reasonable standards.

Pros:
- Good location (right near 42nd St and UN)
- Staff very friendly; go out of their way to help you. I asked for soy milk and they didn't have it; one staff member went to a store nearby to try to find some, and when they couldn't, they comped my breakfast. They also remembered my name every day which was really nice
- Reasonably comfortable bed
- Room service was timely and food was cooked to order. Except for breakfast - the oatmeal was shockingly bad. I don't know how you screw up oatmeal, but they managed to do so - both in room service and in the restaurant

Cons:
- Obviously a tourist hotel as it was teeming with loud tourist groups
- Breakfast buffet needs help. Very small, cramped space with not many offerings
- Need to have options for allergies - i.e. soy milk, etc.
- The bathroom was okay but the shower was ridiculous (see photo). I've never encountered anything like that in all my travels
- Air conditioning needed some help. I know it was very hot in NYC when I was there, but the air was inconsistent and stuffy
- The vent in the room CLEARY needed cleaning. I tried not to look to realise how much dust and debris I was inhaling.
- Restaurant doesn't open until 7am for breakfast; that shocked me, in the "city that never sleeps"

I'll probably stay again as it is a hotel recommended by my company, but I couldn't help but feel very envious of those people staying down the road at the altogether nicer Westin.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are about the same.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Turkish first
Argyle, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

After winning this hotel with a Priceline bid, I read the reviews on Tripadvisor and they were so mixed that I became concerned. We have just completed our three night stay, however, and we were pleasantly surprised.

The hotel is a little further east than we prefer but it's a good neighborhood and as others have said, it's very convenient to Grand Central. It's an older hotel but it has a sense of history and elegance that I like. Our queen room was quiet and nicely decorated, with a comfortable bed and a nice bathroom. The room was not large but it was adequate; we have certainly stayed in smaller. The AC worked great, and we were grateful since the heat index was over 100. The hotel staff could not have been nicer. Overall, we were happy with our stay.

2 Thank ILoveTexas
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

I recently stayed 1 night at this hotel after winning a Priceline bid - paid $117 including taxes. The hotel is really clean and cute but our room was very small - room 1115. The size didn't bother us too much because we were only there for 1 night. The common areas were nicely decorated as well as our room. Our view was of a brick wall, but again, wasn't a big deal since we were there for 1 night only. I believe we were told valet parking was $54 per day and you were only allowed to leave once per day. They didn't have their own lot for self parking, but there are public lots nearby. We found it easier to park at a meter, which was just a few steps away from the hotel. We were there from Friday to Saturday and paid approximately $4 for parking - a far cry from $54. We checked out by 9:00 am on Saturday, which meant we didn't have to feed the meter again. The hotel staff was very professional and helpful. I would stay here again, but will request a larger room the next time. From what I understand, some rooms in the same category are larger than others.

Room Tip: Request another room If given room 1015 or 1115 - cute but small.
1 Thank Cabo07
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

This was a hotel we got through priceline and we stayed three nights. For the price we paid which was a third of going hotel rate there was nothing to complain about I don't think I would pay full price though. The hotel is historic so expect the rooms to be small as is the corridor narrow. The rooms are comfortable. The hotel was booked out when we arrived so we got a queen size bed instead of usual kings but still comfortable. Internet costs as you would expect. Service was good nothing great at front desk but housekeeping were excellent. Liked that each floor had pictures of the history of New York. The hotel is a thirty minute walk to Times Square and in a safe area. If you are elderly or have small kids thirty minutes of walking could seem a lot longer on really hot New York days . Central station is about a ten min walk. If you are paying full price try and get a room with a view unfortunately we were on the east wing and looked straight into peoples apartments so spent the whole time with our blinds closed - minor issue for us but maybe a concern for full price payers.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms not looking into others apartments
1 Thank nitemist
Geneva on the Lake, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

The staff had a very good sense of humor. We enjoyed checking in and out. Tried in everyway to be helpful. They took time to answer all of our questions. Then we met staff in the elevator and were just pleasant to talk to. We hope to visit New York again at the Hilton.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

Hotel was very clean. We were very satisfied with the cleanliness of our room. Beds was very comfortable. Room smelled very fresh and clean on day of arrival. Hotel Lobby was very nice. Curbside view of hotel was very pretty.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

FrankCosentino, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
We are so pleased that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. Wer look forward to welcoming you back as your travels bring you to NYC
Cape Coral, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed at this hotel June 30-July 2. We drove a rental car into the city, it was very easy to get to from the Lincoln Tunnel. My husband grew up in and around NYC so he is able to drive there, I wouldn't be able to and I don't recommend driving if you can avoid it. The hotel is a quick walk from Grand Central Terminal. We expected to not be able to check-in until late in the afternoon so we left the car with the valet ($51 per day), left our bags with the bell man, and ventured out. The hotel is in a convenient location; very close to subways and busses. There was coffee (Starbucks and Dunkin' Donuts) steps away and there were several good restaurants nearby. We stayed in room 611, it was the best size room I have ever had in NYC! There was no view, but it was clean, quiet, and spacious. The staff was friendly and courteous and acknowledged us every time we walked through the lobby. I would definitely stay at this Hilton again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family