“Hilton Boutique Hotel”

Hilton New York Grand Central
Ranked #341 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Overall Excellent Hotel, with boutique hotel feel, most conveniently located in Manhatten; affordable self park options, near midtown tunnel and Queens boro Bridge; great dinning and bar options within walking distance.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Write a ReviewReviews (2,579)

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Hotel was in a great location and had a very comfortable bed but the bathroom smelled very bad and the heating unit banged hourly all night long. In addition, we stayed for two nights and the key kept locking us out causing us to have to go to front desk to have it rekeyed. Would not recommend this particular hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Frank C, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Please accept our sincere apologies for the hassle and frustration you experienced during your recent stay with us. We strive to make every guests' stay as pleasant as possible and regret you were unable to enjoy your time with us. We appreciate your feedback and we will use it as we work to improve our guests' satisfaction. The next time you travel to the area we hope you will return to stay with us so we may show you the quality stay you expect and deserve.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

I booked this hotel as it was a Hilton, and lower priced than others for the weekend. $179/night queen bed - $209 with taxes. (I am used to paying over $300 in NYC.) The room was small and looked out on scaffolding. The lighting was difficult to control - electronic switch panels at the front door and by the bed and after all lights were out at night one of those by the bed turned itself on about a half hour later.

Wi-Fi costly, same for breakfast - we didn't use either. Plenty of restaurants, diners, coffee shops, etc. in the neghborhood, some with free WiFi.

We asked for a late check out as we had a morning engagement and were given a 2pm check out, no cost. However when we returned to the room around 1 pm we were locked out. Key cards expire at noon. I used the house phone and someone did come up to let us in.

Parking - $55/night

Close to the UN and Grand Central Terminal.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Frank C, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review. We’re very sorry you experienced an undesirable level of customer service with us and the problems you mentioned with our front desk team have been addressed. We appreciate you alerting us to this issue and we hope you will give us a second chance to show you the quality hospitality you have come to expect from our brand if you return to the area in the future.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

I booked a room via priceline. First of all I was charged more than the rack rate for the room because I added more star levels to my search and just really needed to be mid-town.
After reading some of the reviews on Tripadvisor I got worried about the hotel. I called priceline and was hung up on 3 times. I noticed that every review had a response from Frank C the general manager. I though... maybe he cares. Well He does! I called him and told him I was concerned about some of the reviews and he said "what can I do to put your mind at ease" I explained that a clean quiet room with enough space to put my things away was all I wanted and he said he would make sure that happened. He took the time to talk to me, asked for my reservation number AND was very professional and kind. I'll update this review after my week stay but I feel much, much better about the hotel and very grateful for Hilton for having someone who not only took the time to call me back but listened and acted. Stay tuned

Room Tip: Right now all I can comment on is Frank Cosentino's service but I will update with a new review...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
FrankCosentino, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Thank you for your kind words, we look forward to welcoming you.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Breakfast menu, although not as comprehensive as other hotels, is worth the price of the stay. Non-suite rooms are too small. Internet connection is fast. Printers and business center computers are not free to use. One needs to pay before having access.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The good news is that the staff were friendly and competent. But the physical plant of this hotel does not qualify it as a four-star property in the US. It does not meet customary Hilton quality standards. To cite three specifics, the bathroom faucet fixtures in our room were worn and discolored, one of the wall-mounted light fixtures lacked a cover (i.e., bare light bulb), and my wife detected the smell of mold in the bathroom. We wish Hilton luck as it takes on the task of bringing this recently acquired property up to standards. Meanwhile, we have now added NYC to Chicago as a city where we will not use priceline.com to book rooms. Based on the condition and location of this property, we overpaid for our accomodations. Next time, as in Chicago, we'll forget priceline.com's Name Your Own Price lottery, where three star properties are sold at four star prices, and simply pay just a little more to get the expected property condition. Finally, travelers should know that the location is more friendly to road warriors than to tourists.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Frank C, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and we’re very sorry you were disappointed with the look and feel of your guestroom and the service you received for the value. Please know that your feedback is incredibly important to us and we are taking your comments into consideration as we constantly work to improve our on-property experience. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you, if your travels bring you back to our area in the future

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We've stayed at this hotel before, predominately by my husband on business. It is conveniently situated and we feel it is decently maintained. Service staff are pleasant and accommodating. A decent choice for the price.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple