“Just unbelievable!!!!”

Hilton New York Grand Central
Ranked #334 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We are just glad to be home after our stay at the Hilton!!!! We arrived the evening of the 16th of November, no valet, no bell boy just a one man show night manager! We checked and were assigned our room. We got to our room.... Blinds and chairs were stained, the bath tub and the bathroom celling very dirty! We tried get over it and enjoy.... The heat would not get over 62! But what realy made me go crazy is when i decided to go to bed and we found an open pack of Condoms on the night table! What the hell???? I went to the front desk a showed it to the manager! He made us look at other rooms so we could change! We had to visit 2 more rooms in order to find something adequate and short of clean! We were advised that the housekeeping manager would be advised and make a fallow up with us. We never heard from that manager. After our short night in our new room.... I found a Cantaloup container's lid on our coffe table under the magazines dated! EXP Nov 4, 2011!!! Wow! That housekeeping manager should upgrade his or her standards a little!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
TedMcCallum, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

On behalf of our staff, I apologize for your recent experience at our hotel. This is not who we are and I assure you it is not at all typical of the service we provide to our guests. Please be assured that all measures will be taken to prevent this from happening again. If you plan to visit New York City again please contact us so that we can arrange for a perfect stay as my guest.

There are newer reviews for Hilton New York Grand Central

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Recently updated, this east side hotel near the UN building has small regular rooms, but bedding and bathroom were clean, fresh and up to date. My room had a "harry potter" under the stairs quality (Room 603) but all the basics were there. The desk chair was especially good.

Room service food was quick and hot. Can't say the same for the breakfast buffet. Instead of paying upwards of $20 plus for the buffet, just order off the menu for something made for you, rather than tired eggs and crusted over hardened bread.

Bell Staff were VERY HELPFUL and Front desk staff were coming off the storm and all the mayhem, so great in the help they provided.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
TedMcCallum, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Your comments about the comfort of our guest rooms and the great service delivered by our bellmen and front desk agents are very much appreciated. I am sorry that our breakfast buffet was not to your liking, but glad to see that you found our in-room dining food and service to be so enjoyable. Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

We got a good rate through priceline. Room was recently renovated and was more than adequate for our needs (i.e. clean room, comfortable bed to sleep and reasonable amount of space). We also got complimentary in-room internet which was very helpful. The location (close to the UN) is about a 10 min walk from Grand Central station and maybe a little more "east" than we were looking for. All in all, if you want a midtown location away from the crowds and a good night's rest, then this is the place for you.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your recommendation to those looking for conveniently located, comfortable accommodations in a relatively quiet sector of the city. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Hotel has recently been renovated, stayed on business in anticipation of Hurricane Sandy. Hotel is split into 2 towers, my elevator bank was on far side of entrance. Queen room was small as expected, but extremely clean, bed is comfortable, modern light switches and plenty of outlets. Bath was huge with working window. Even had a decent view of Manhattan. Free WSJ in lobby next morning. I will stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
TedMcCallum, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Thank you for recognizing some of the nice features of our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Manhattan East when you return to New York City.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Second visit to this hotel,just after hurricane Sandy. Staff outstanding, throughout. Room (ended in ..20) was spacious and very comfortable. Previous reviewers commented that the rooms are tiny, well some most definitely are so check when you make the booking. Bathroom good and wonder of wonders you can open the windows!! Breakfast was ok but pricey. Plenty of places to eat nearby plus interesting bars etc. plus you are close to Macys if that floats your boat, its an easy walk up 42nd street to the other grand avenues, and Grand Central is nearby. Starbucks a bit tricky to find, its opposite the hotel 42nd st . as I mentioned the staff really are very helpful and forthcoming, baring in mind the problems associated with the aftermath of Sandy they dealt with everyone with good humour! Overall a good experience, pity no mini bar or fridge! Wifi fast, TV okay .rooms very clean, bed comfortable, some of my colleagues complained the heating did/did not work, but I am certain that maintenance would have resolved the problem quickly. So well worth a stay.

Room Tip: Check room size before booking.
1  Thank Falcoflyer
TedMcCallum, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Thank you for the praise bestowed on our staff for the service they provided during the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. We also appreciate the many nice comments about our hotel and the multiple features of our convenient location. Thanks so much for writing.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at this hotel on the Friday and Saturday of the week that Hurricane Sandy hit the east coast. The hotel was booked solid yet you would not have known this by the ythe hotel was so well run. The staff was unflapable and very friendly; the service was excellent.
The hotel itself has a cozy feeling about it while having a Hilton feel, too.
The hotel is at 42nd and 2nd and is "next door" to the City. It is within walking distance of the United Nations. There are lots of interesting restaurants and pubs nearby. I walked down 2nd Avenue around 7 p.m. on a Saturday evening and felt safe.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Our entire staff appreciates your kind comments about their friendliness and excellent service during the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. I am very proud of the dedication and caring they displayed to our guests during a very challenging period. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I had paid for four nights at this hotel through Pricline. The visit was fine (the hotel had a small room but it was clean and adequate), but Hurricane Sandy decided to make its way towards New York. I called Priceline to try to cancel the final night of the stay and to get a refund (only for that night), and they were willing to do so but required the Hilton to credit the bill for the last night. The night manager at the Hilton Manhattan East was very accommodating, informed me that it should not be a problem to credit the final night, but that he needed higher level approval (which he could not get until the next day). I left the next morning (on Saturday, before Sunday when the storm arrived and when Amtrak system started cancelling trains), and was told by phone the manager had refused to provide the requested credit. Had I stayed the extra night, I likely would not have gotten home for many days, and certainly not in time to take needed measures protect my house in DC. (I also would likely have incurred many nights of additional costs in NYC before I could come back to DC). It was a ridiculous decision not to supply the credit, simply because it was a Priceline pre-paid booking. Had I booked directly through Hilton, I would simply have checked out early and no charge would have been incurred. Hilton has now lost my business.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

We appreciate that you chose to stay with us during your visit to New York. I am sorry that you were told that your cost for Saturday, the last night of your stay, would not be refunded when you were departing to escape Hurricane Sandy. This was simply a miscommunication. When the matter was brought to my attention on Sunday I authorized the refund. After reading your comments we checked with Priceline and confirmed that the refund has been processed. As responsible corporate citizens, we waived all cancelation and early departure fees during the entire week of Hurricane Sandy.