“Just right!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #292 of 479 Hotels in New York City
Anchorage, Alaska
“Just right!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at this hotel on the Friday and Saturday of the week that Hurricane Sandy hit the east coast. The hotel was booked solid yet you would not have known this by the ythe hotel was so well run. The staff was unflapable and very friendly; the service was excellent.
The hotel itself has a cozy feeling about it while having a Hilton feel, too.
The hotel is at 42nd and 2nd and is "next door" to the City. It is within walking distance of the United Nations. There are lots of interesting restaurants and pubs nearby. I walked down 2nd Avenue around 7 p.m. on a Saturday evening and felt safe.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
TedMcCallum, General Manager at Hilton Manhattan East, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Our entire staff appreciates your kind comments about their friendliness and excellent service during the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. I am very proud of the dedication and caring they displayed to our guests during a very challenging period. We hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
Washington, DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I had paid for four nights at this hotel through Pricline. The visit was fine (the hotel had a small room but it was clean and adequate), but Hurricane Sandy decided to make its way towards New York. I called Priceline to try to cancel the final night of the stay and to get a refund (only for that night), and they were willing to do so but required the Hilton to credit the bill for the last night. The night manager at the Hilton Manhattan East was very accommodating, informed me that it should not be a problem to credit the final night, but that he needed higher level approval (which he could not get until the next day). I left the next morning (on Saturday, before Sunday when the storm arrived and when Amtrak system started cancelling trains), and was told by phone the manager had refused to provide the requested credit. Had I stayed the extra night, I likely would not have gotten home for many days, and certainly not in time to take needed measures protect my house in DC. (I also would likely have incurred many nights of additional costs in NYC before I could come back to DC). It was a ridiculous decision not to supply the credit, simply because it was a Priceline pre-paid booking. Had I booked directly through Hilton, I would simply have checked out early and no charge would have been incurred. Hilton has now lost my business.

• 1 of 5 stars
We appreciate that you chose to stay with us during your visit to New York. I am sorry that you were told that your cost for Saturday, the last night of your stay, would not be refunded when you were departing to escape Hurricane Sandy. This was simply a miscommunication. When the matter was brought to my attention on Sunday I authorized the refund. After reading your comments we checked with Priceline and confirmed that the refund has been processed. As responsible corporate citizens, we waived all cancelation and early departure fees during the entire week of Hurricane Sandy.
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Excellent stay at this Hilton property. ALL staff amazing, friendly, and helpful - from front desk to bell captain. Room was large by any standard and nicely appointed. Large flat screen TV. Comforable bed. Missing hot beverage packets (tea) were quickly replaced. I plan on staying here next time I am in the city.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Road-King777
TedMcCallum, General Manager at Hilton Manhattan East, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you so much for the kind words about our hotel and our wonderful staff. We look forward to serving you again when you return to New York City.
London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I arrived at the Hilton Manhattan East just before the 'Frankenstorm' and had a wonderful stay. I didn't know the area that well, but the hotel had been recommended to me as it was good value and quite small, for Manhattan, with a local feel to it.
The location is on 42nd Street, between 2nd Avenue and the United Nations Building. It is in walking distance of Grand Central Station and therefore Macy's and even Times Square and it is easy to negotiate the area and the sights.
What is so wonderful about the Hilton is that after a day of sightseeing and shopping in all the famous areas you come back to a home from home, with staff that recognise you and wonderful 2nd Avenue is right on your doorstep with lots of eateries and shops. There is such an variety of restaurants nearby you are spoilt for choice and all the shops are 'real' (as in not touristy and a rip off).
The hotel itself has two towers, I stayed in the North tower and had a beautiful corner room with two windows. Being New York the room didn't have a view as all the buildings are so densely built, but there was plenty of light and the room itself was perfect. I had a huge king sized bed with plenty of pillows and a bolster. The duvet was like being at home and I slept wonderfully. The bathroom even had a window...a rarity in many hotels, not just New York! I think the rooms had been renovated recently as they were so clean and modern. Wi-Fi was speedy, but the hotel should look at making it free of charge as so many other hotels are doing nowadays...not just free in the public areas...it's difficult to do conference calls sitting in a busy lobby.
The gym is excellent and open all the time (I was up at 4am due to jet lag).
The people on Front of house were knowledgeable and very friendly, nothing was too much for them. I would recommend this hotel to both the business community and sightseers (as long as they were quiet).
I will definitely come again.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room...they are lighter, slightly larger than the average room and very quiet.
2 Thank John P
TedMcCallum, General Manager at Hilton Manhattan East, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
On behalf of our friendly and helpful staff, I thank you for writing such nice comments about our hotel, our people, and our location. I am glad we were able to provide for your comfort during the hurricane and hope to see you again when Mother Nature is as hospitable as we are.
knoxville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Rooms were a nice size, especially for NY. Beds were extremely comfortable. Staff went over and beyond the call of duty to make our stay pleasant. A couple of things needed repair and cleaning in the room and the Houskeeping Manager, Maria Vega, was on it immediately! She not only got things fixed and cleaned right away, she sent up 4 waters for us. I would definitely stay at this hotel again and recommend it highly. Coffee maker and coffee in the room were delicious too.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
TedMcCallum, General Manager at Hilton Manhattan East, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you so much for recognizing our staff, particularly Maria, for their outstanding service. Your comments about our hotel, our creature comforts, and our people are deeply appreciated. I hope you will visit with us again soon.
Pantelleria, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

This Hotel I stay was nice and the Staff very friendly. The Room are a bit small but this Hotel still have same room as a smoking one and this is quite unique especially on the State. Also the room has a cafe machine with lavazza. Just stay one night, for business and I can't add more.

1 Thank GiHobby
We are pleased to know that we provided for all of your needs during your brief stay with us. Thank you for writing. We hope to see you again soon.
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

The boyfriend and I have a nice little trip planned to NYC next week and so it made perfect sense for us to book a room at the Hilton Manhattan East considering that he is a BLACKSTONE employee. Since it will be his birthday I decided to call the hotel ahead of time to arrange for some surprise ammenities in our room prior to arrival. Great idea, right? Wrong. Long story short: if you would like to speak to someone incredibly rude who doesn't want to listen to a word you say and then transfers you to the wrong department multiple times without so much as letting you finish your sentence, I would recommend you call Mercedes at the Hilton Manhattan East. Don't even get me started on what happened when I called back the third time to speak to a manager.

I can only imagine what service would look like onsite, and considering that there are a million other hotels to choose from (we chose this based on location and because of the Blackstone relationship) I will not deal with this unacceptable customer service. If you are clearly above taking my money then I am happy to take it elsewhere. Thank you, Mercedes.

Room Tip: The one and only information piece that Mercedes shared was that there are no good views out of any...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
TedMcCallum, General Manager at Hilton Manhattan East, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
I am sorry that you had this experience when calling our hotel, however, I can assure you that it is not indicative of the service our staff normally provides to our guests. I invite you to contact me directly so that I can personally make arrangements for you to have an enjoyable stay with us.