“Prison cells must be larger”

Hilton New York Grand Central
Ranked #335 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 22, 2012

There is absolutely nothing special, memorable or distinctive about this loosely labeled "boutique hotel" The staff is disinterested, lacks follow up skills and the ability to pretend they care. Equipment (Irons, haird dryers) pretty well shot but the rooms, my God the rooms are they small. Club Quarters is known as the cell hotel this is worse. Maybe 8 x 10 with a queen bed. Claustrophobia? this is not your hotel and at about $500. per night, no bargain.
I'll pay the extra and stay at the Waldorf. This is what I get for trying to save a few bucks.

Room Tip: don't think they have any
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank bbarr_11
TedMcCallum, General Manager at Hilton New York Grand Central, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Obviously, we failed to provide for your comfort or properly serve you during your stay and for this we apologize. Please be assured that your comments are taken very seriously and will be used to improve our performance for future guests. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed 5 nights at this boutique hotel and found it to be average at best. The rooms are definitely rather small; an average size person would not have enough room to sit at the desk.(there is very little room between the bed and the desk and chair.

There was a random loud banging noise that we thought was coming from the air conditioning system. This affected our sleep during the nights.

Also, they were reluctant to leave a good supply of face cloths and hand towels (should have at least 2 at all times)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shortyandsparky

Thank you for being our guest during your stay in New York City. Your comments about the air conditioner noise and the bathroom linens have been addressed. We appreciate your feedback and hope to serve you again when you next visit our city.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

Stayed here for a business trip. Really central location and a bit cheaper than other hotels in the area. The rooms are tight, even for a NYC hotel and the AC noise made it hard to get a good night sleep. Still, the service was great and overall a good spot to stay for a quick trip.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Rachel M
Reviewed September 14, 2012

This hotel is a bit of a mix. It's central-ish, for a mid-priced hotel (on 2nd/44th, I think) - quite nice views of red-brick high-rises and slight views of the water beyond. It's possible some rooms are bigger, so check before you book, as my room was TINY! And my colleague could hardly get his door open, so he moved the chair and table to outside his room into the (also v small) corridor so that he could get in with his case! As it was, when I opened my door, it banged against the table with the T.V. on it, and the same problem, I couldn't open my door fully as the table was in the way! There was also a little writing table, and a chair, which left virtually no room for anything else... I managed to balance my suitcase on top of the chair, as there was literally nowhere else left to put it. The bathroom was immediately by the bed. It was really the teeniest hotel room I've stayed in in living memory and was much smaller than my bedroom at home, ditto the ensuite!! Which was sort of funny in a way, but I don't think it's suitable for more than one night or for two people, or anyone of a larger build. Definitely ask room sizes if you book here and see if they have anything normal!!! Also, as another reviewer has mentioned, the light switches were very bizarre and I certainly couldn't work out how they worked the entire time I was there. Also same for the a/c, which remained on "freezing" setting despite all attempts to warm it up. Luckily, the hotel provided an extra blanket in the wardrobe, which I was grateful for as it was so cold in my room. On the plus side, it was fairly quiet. Everything seemed very pristine and clean, new bathroom, and furniture looked new. The reception staff were also nice. But I cannot give it a high rating as I felt the room was ridiculously small and it was freezing (whilst pleasantly warm outside, I should add!).

Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank kimski44
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel on several occasions for business and pleasure. It is in a good location right on 42nd and second but a bit off beaten track so that it is not too busy. Right near UN and Grand Central. Service is good and the room are well maintained. Ever since Hilton took over a few years ago things have improved significantly.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Joe P
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Heading to New York in July was not going to be a cheap affair so I had to reign in my expectations. The Hilton did a fairly good deal and so Manhattan East was within my budget. I was very well aware that it would be on the lower end of the Hilton scale so I wasn't expecting out of the ordinary. The stay was pleasant, the staff fairly nice (for NYC standards), and rooms were clean (although in need of a more in-depth refurb). From what I understand the hotel only joined the Hilton portfolio not too long ago and it shows. It seems that all they did with the rooms was stick in Hilton-standard beds and TVs. There are for example power sockets next to the bed about a meter up from the floor but without a table to put anything on. So when you plug in your mobile is sort of dangles off the wall.

The breakfast was a bit of a letdown and nothing to write home about. What really annoyed me was that it seemed as if they had the policy of only filling the glasses half full with orange juice. A self service juice station with small glasses would have been fine (and pretty standard). However, using full size glasses and having the waiter only fill it up to half does not make sense to me, cost cutting or not.

The hotel is used for air crew which pretty much sums it up - they usually stay at the cheapest Hilton in town.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Akinsoul
Reviewed September 6, 2012

The room was tiny as many others have mentioned. My wife and I ended up placing our luggage under the bathroom sink.One side of the bed had a cabinet with a light on and somewhere to place a glass of water etc. The other side didn;t. In fact if you left the wardrobe door ajar you couldn't get ut of bed. If you turned the bathroom light on in the middle of the night,all the room lights came on ?
On the plus side, the staff were nice, the elevators were fast,we had a view and it has to be the quietest hotel room I have ever stayed in,in my many many visits to Manhattan. We didn't hear one car horn/alarm or police/fire engine siren all night !

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business