WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Hotel Beacon

Hotel Beacon
Ranked #52 of 477 Hotels in New York City
Plymouth, Michigan
“Need 3 beds? This is the place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014

I did a lot of research to find a nice hotel on Manhattan and close to the subway which would accommodate my husband and me, plus our teenage son and daughter. We needed three beds. That's hard to find without spending a fortune! At Hotel Beacon, you can get a suite that has two double beds and a queen-size sofa for a reasonable price. Perfect for our family! I liked this hotel a lot. It was stylishly appointed, and had a kitchenette with a stove, refrigerator, sink, coffee maker, microwave and dishes. There is a market right across the street and there are a lot of restaurants nearby. There were minor issues: We were by the elevator and it was noisy at times [room, 907]. The bathroom was really small and not ventilated plus had a chip on the tub, but that was a small price to pay for the rest of the amenities. We had problems with our AC unit and with our thermostats, but those were taken care of. We also had a problem at check in where they tried to tell us there was no suite available with two double beds and the sofa bed, though I had made the reservations 6 months in advance PLUS had called two days before check-in to verify. I absolutely would not hear of it, and they did somehow find us a room. Not sure what was up with that. Overall, I did like this hotel and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far from elevators
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (662)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Rochester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

This was our first time in NYC and the hotel was perfect for exploring Manhattan. Brilliant location, very clean, comfy beds, very spacious rooms and quiet. We did not overlook Central Park but as we were hardly ever in the room, we did not mind. Our room was a suite and really big with two rooms and a kitchenette. Fairways market just across the road stocks everything you could possibly need. Perfect for our needs. Would definitely go back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher up!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Location
1 Thank KatMaNe
east coast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

This has become my favorite hotel in New York. Here are my reasons:
- Getting around: The subway (1-3) is basically right out the door at 72nd St.
- Morning coffee: I love the ability to boil water in my room, and the presence of a decent fridge to
keep my coffee cream in.
- Pet free: 100 percent. This alone would keep me coming back over and over again.
- Feels unique: For example, the art on the walls in the rooms are plentiful and interesting.
- Amazing views from rooms facing the park
- Love the neighborhood, cafes, shops etc. Feels a bit almost European...
- Staff are great, not overly fawning, no pre-fab speeches etc.

Criticisms:
- thumping elevator noise on top floor room
- shower heads need replacing

Room Tip: facing the park on a higher floor = fantastic view
Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank tobytyler123
Tauranga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Beacon for 5 nights in July 2014 and loved it.

Great room,spacious,comfortable and quiet.Cooking facilities also although not used too much as the location is perfect for cafes,supermarkets and restaurants.Across the road there is several deli/food outlets .

Service was excellent and being in Upper West side we could walk everywhere.Loved it and would stay here without any hesitation.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Cathy H
New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

Stayed there in August of 2012. I was attending classes at Columbia and stayed there for a week. It was very clean, cool (ac) near the subway, starbucks and the grocery store. Room was large and light blocking curtains were great. The neighborhood is quiet (for NYC) and feels very safe walking about at night. Would recommend to anyone in the NYC area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
      Location
Robina, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014

My son and I spent 8 nights in this hotel and I am so thankful that I discovered this gem on Tripadvisor!
The location is perfect - away from the Times Square chaos but so convenient to get there and other sights via subway very nearby.
We loved the market across the road and were able to prepare breakfast and sometimes lunch too in our little kitchen. The bakery nearby had cookies to die for and we really enjoyed a lot of the other local restaurants.
Staying so long meant we used the laundry a few times which was very convenient.
Staff were all so friendly and helpful.
Beds comfortable and we were blessed with an amazing view from our 21st floor corner room.
When next in NYC we need look no further for where we will stay!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank lisa31jane
Rockledge, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014

I have traveled to NYC more times than I can count. I have stayed in extremely high end hotels and loved them, but ever since I have stayed at the Beacon I wouldn't stay anywhere else. This is in the perfect area. The hotel has recently been renovated and the rooms are perfect. I love the use of the kitchens in the room and there is a grocery store right across the street to stock up on goodies with. The staff has never been anything but amazing! I will be back again ....

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family