“Just Right”

Ranked #58 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Houston, Texas
“Just Right”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

Three nights at this classy, clean, quiet and very comfortable hotel led us to conclude it is just right for visits to NYC. The well-appointed rooms are huge by Big Apple standards, not inexpensive but affordable, everything works, and the staff is friendly. We found the Upper Westside location lovely to be in with great atmosphere, shops and eateries, plus the short access to the subway made trips to other neighborhoods short and easy. Although this property does not have its own restaurant, an adjacent one offers a wide array of good food at reasonable prices and is open long hours, while the Beacon Bar is a busy watering hole with happy hour specials. The Beacon will be our NYC hotel from now on and we recommend it. It's not too big, too crowded, too costly, too hip or haughty, but just right.

Room Tip: Trust the hotel recommendations on local restaurants. We tried two and both were exceptional!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CBS-CHS

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (710)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed May 16, 2014

We stayed here with the kids last month and I am returning again this month for business. The staff were so helpful and it did not feel like a 'group' hotel, very personal touch and much better than I would hav ever expected from a 3 star. It was in fact better than most of the 4 and 5 stars I have stayed at in NY and some other US cities. Rooms were very clean and comfortable and by NY standards HUGE.
It was in a great location too, just beside the subway and walking distance from central park and loads of great restaurants.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 15, 2014 via mobile

Clean, friendly, tidy and accommodating, I would highly recommend this place if you want to stay in NYC cheaply but not be too far from it all. Located very closely to Central Park and a number of great restaurants and with Time square only a $20 cab ride away it's perfect. Get a room on the top floor (25th) for stunning views from the moment you get up to the moment you go to bed. I will definitely be back should I cone back to NYC.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheAlmightyDon
Reviewed May 15, 2014

If you're going to a show at the Beacon Theater and staying in town this is definitely the place to stay. The neighborhood is loaded with great restaurants and Lincoln Center and museums are within walking distance. Our room had a bedroom separate from the living room as well as a full efficiency kitchen. If you're staying for a few days and plan to eat in, visit the Fairway Supermarket across the street-it's an experience in itself. Rooms were large and clean. Hotel staff was helpful and polite.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Debra M
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 15, 2014

To start off, I loved this hotel and I would stay there again and again. Located on the upper west side and right opposite a fantastic little market, it's ideal. I stayed with a mate of mine after travelling across the States last summer and we found the market very reasonably priced and ideal for eating in on the cheap (as I'd spent most of my money by the time I arrived in New York!)

The staff were lovely and very helpful, a few even buzzed the elevators for us, took our bags for us and seemed like they really cared about their customers. They also allowed us to leave our bags with them on our last day as our flight wasn't until the evening which was good of them.

The rooms were very spacious and very very clean! Beds were done every day and new towels were provided every day. We had a room with a small kitchenette which was brilliant, had everything we needed, pots, pans, cutlery and tea making facilities (which was brilliant because I hadn't had a cuppa in 5 weeks before that! Just lots of coffee!) The bathroom again was very clean and spacious.

We had a beautiful view out of our room across the street facing the market and all the surrounding areas of the hotel were lovely.

The hotel is a short 5/10 minute walk from the nearest subway station which is brilliant for getting around. A week's pass on the subway was only $30, definitely the best way to get around the city. The Beacon theatre is right next door and from some research, has some brilliant acts and shows on but sadly there wasn't anything on during my stay.

Unfortunately I can't comment on the quality of the food because we had a Room Only option and only bought in food from the market over the road but I did walk through the bar area which looked lovely.

All in all a perfect hotel to stay in, can't fault it at all and a great spot to explore New York City from. Hopefully I can go back one day and I would definitely stay at the Hotel Beacon again!

Stayed from 10th August to 17th August 2013.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank BenL1993
Rochester, New York
Reviewed May 15, 2014

I just returned from a one night stay at the Hotel Beacon and wished I could've stayed longer! This is a fresh, comfortable property with all of the amenities and fantastic service. I was able to check in a few hours early which made for a nice first impression. I had a package delivered to the property for a business meeting and it was delivered to my room within 5 minutes of my arrival. The room was spacious and clean and offered a great view from the 22nd floor.
From the doorman to the concierge to the housekeeping staff, everyone was extremely friendly and did everything they could to ensure that my stay was perfect.

Would highly recommend to anyone and hope to return someday soon!

Room Tip: Request a high floor room on the East side of the building for a view of Central Park.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed May 14, 2014

While staying there we needed medical support for my wife. The hotel staff was extremely helpful and flexible in handling the situation, supporting us and (since we had to fly home earlier) arranging our other bookings.

The rooms are great although a bit tiny compared to other big cities. We liked the style of the rooms

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms should be better
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple