“I Love NYC”
Review of Hotel Beacon

Hotel Beacon
Ranked #61 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I thought this was a really good hotel. Had all your basic amenities. Free internet, laudry room, vending machine. Also close to everything, Starbucks on the corner, restaurant right underneath and a supermarket across the road. And cute bell boy what more could you ask for.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Hayley J
Write a ReviewReviews (3,775)

Reviewed March 5, 2014

Our short weekend stay at the Hotel Beacon was outstanding for many reasons:
1. Our room (2412) exceeded our expectations, with spectacular views to the east and south and beautifully furnished. Only quibble -- a step up to the bathroom. Must be careful to remember.
2. Staff is uniformly helpful and friendly.
3. Location is very good, with subway one block away and Fairway grocery across the street. The subway station, 72nd Street, is an express stop, so the #2 and 3 lines are express from 72nd Street to Times Square. #1 line is local.
4. Quick available elevator service.
5. Parking one block away at only(!) $40/night.
6. Many restaurants and Central Park a short walk away.
7. The restaurant next door, Viand Cafe, is good for breakfast.
8. The hotel rates are a real deal for NYC.

Room Tip: We loved room 2412. Corner room with great views.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank GPBurdell67
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I come to the city often for work. I am currently here for 8 days. Luckily for me, the first 6 days were spent at the Hotel Beacon. We are always put up in Midtown amongst all of the hubbub. Being uptown a bit makes a huge difference in the neighborhood and chaos on the streets.
When I arrived in the lobby from the airport the front desk had my key packet ready for my room. Super bonus.
I headed up to the room and was bummed that it was directly opposite of the elevator. Lots of racket in the elevator area. Especially when Mom's hang out there for 45 minutes while their kids are making a bunch of racket. Not the hotel's fault, just inconsiderate people.
Also, when I got into my room, I was surprised to see 2 beds. I always get a King. No chance, sold out.
I was happy with the size of the room. It was very large and spacious. I was super stoked to have a small little kitchen area. It makes a big difference to have this option available. The refrigerator helped on multiple occasions with extra food from eating out and the such. Thanks for the kitchen!
The bed was small, but super comfortable. The pillows were exactly how I like them. Nice sheets, nice mattress.
The TV was one of the highlights. A large screen with all of the channels in HD. And when I say all of the channels, I mean, tons of them.
Also, the internet was included in our rate and was very stable and super fast. Fast internet is a nice bonus.
The staff was very helpful throughout my stay. Everyone was pleasant and welcomed me as I came and went. The door guys are saints for standing outside in the freezing cold for their whole shift. I told them as much. I don't know how they do it. Employee of the month material!
I only had 2 real complaints. The window didn't get completely blacked out. It let copious amounts of light in. When light comes in, I wake up at sunrise. I don't like waking up at sunrise unless I am fishing. I wasn't fishing while in the City.
The second one was the room being noisy due to being opposite of the elevator. Sadly for me, it was me.
The hotel is in a great location. Food and stores every which way that you could walk. I would highly suggest the Hotel Beacon to anyone that isn't afraid to be a few blocks away from the mayhem.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Jon S
Reviewed February 25, 2014

On our recent trip to NYC we stayed here for 4 nights. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. The rooms are modern and clean and equipped with a kitchenette with a fridge, sink, microwave and coffeemaker as well as crockery, saucepans, glassware etc. The addition of the Fairway market across the road means that you don't have to eat out everyday. Our room had two queen beds which were very comfortable. The room was warm and inviting. Staff were very helpful and Emilio was a fountain of New York knowledge and pointed us to any direction we wanted to visit. The hotel is about a block from the 72nd subway station and within walking distance to Times Square if you don't mind stretching your legs a bit {which we didn't.} It is also a block or two away from one end of Central Park. The Beacon also has a well equipped and modern coin operated laundry room. There is also a gym. Next door is a restaurant so it is I think in a very good location. We were on the 19th floor so also had a great view. As I said can't recommend highly enough. Would not consider anywhere else when I go to New York again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank sydcar
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Our stay at the Beacon was a family trip, and we rented four rooms, eleven people total. The rooms are generously sized for New York, well laid out, and complete with cooking facilities and refrigerators, though the size of the kitchenette varies according to the room. Windows that actually open (though child safe) made for an easy and pleasant source of fresh (NY fresh) air.

The hotel has some long term residents, and the front desk staff was pleasant. The location is outstanding for a family, with one of the most interesting food markets in New York right across the street, and lots of restaurants and shops in the area. If your children are 6 or older, it's easy walking distance to Central Park, and the subway is only 5-6 minutes. Also, because it is located somewhat uptown, access to JFK was quick and mostly traffic free.

With pricing that's reasonable for Manhattan, this is the first place I'll check the next time I bring my family to the City.

Room Tip: If you have children, the rooms with a sofa bed in the living room will give you a bit of private sp...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank HokkaidoG
Reviewed February 19, 2014

The Hotel Beacon is conveniently located near the 72nd Street subway as well as Central Park. There are numerous shops and restaurants in the neighborhood and it is an easy walk to Lincoln Center. The hotel is very well run and the rooms are spacious by New York City standards. The kitchen area is wonderful (with a stove, refrigerator, sink, and microwave), making staying there so comfortable and convenient. This is my new favorite hotel in NYC. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Janice P
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Comfortable, well-located, clean hotel, with attentive service at front desk and in lobby, although not luxurious. Have looked for a good hotel on upper west side and this is the best we've found so far.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family