“New Year at Hotel Beacon”
Review of Hotel Beacon

Hotel Beacon
Ranked #57 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Wollongong
“New Year at Hotel Beacon”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

What a gem of a place to stay in New York. Made a booking after a recommendation in travel lift out of Sunday telegraph newspaper and never stopped smiling. Large rooms, kitchenette, great laundry, supermarket and bottleshop close handy. 3 blocks to Central Park and 1 block to metro stop. Exceptionally clean and staff friendly, I just can't recommend this hotel enough, especially after 5 weeks traveling all over USA, this as the best hotel we stayed in, and many other "top brand" hotels could learn something here. Only small downer was the sofa bed that my 2 teenagers shared.....was lumpy and could do with a better mattress.

Room Tip: The higher up the better view...
4 Thank Wendy J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (715)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
boston
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Location, friendliness of staff, cleanliness and room size were all wonderful. The breakfast cafe next door, and the amazing market across the street were the cherry on top. BUT.... our room happened to be next door to what appeared to be an apartment of some sort; and whoever the tenant was - and we did see him in the hall once - REALLY loved his 'herb', and the entire hallway reeked, every time we used it, and every day we were there. Honestly, this normally wouldn't bother me, except I had my 2 teenage children with me... and they knew what they were smelling. Not sure it was medicinal or recreational, but either way, the hotel management should be figuring out a way for the smell to not permeate the door. I did mention it to different managers, but kind of just got shrugs both times. In spite of this, I would stay again, just would be careful to ask for a different floor.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank bostonpies
Canada
Reviewed January 19, 2014

The Beacon is simply excellent quality for the money. My sister and I had stayed here twice when we traveled to New York a few years ago, but I'd never been with my family. My husband, teenage daughters and I visited the city between Christmas and New Year's, and I was struggling to find a hotel that wouldn't break the bank. Not only was the Beacon the most affordable option, I knew I loved the Upper East side location.
Simply put, everything was perfect. The two-bedroom suite gave the four of us all the room (and privacy) we needed. The kitchenette helped us save money in the mornings, as we shopped at the grocery store right across the street.
The only downside is that this place is so popular, you need to book early! I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank bakery
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

Everything is expensive in New York, I left feeling I got a bargain. Staff very friendly, location awesome, rooms great I even got a kitchenette.

I could do with the rooms getting cleaned slightly later but I'm a night person.

Highly recommend.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank SvenTrain
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed January 17, 2014

During our very first visit to New York City, the staff at the Hotel Beacon were fantastic to us. They were very accommodating to our needs and wants during our stay. They were more than patient to answer any questions we had on demand and make our stay a memorable experience.

They were able to help improve our time by organizing different forms of transportation to give us a much better experience of the city. They organized this within 5 minutes for the night we wanted. They were always their to help us and asked if we had any issues they could sort out as we were travelling with a person with a disability.

The rooms very always clean, warm and very comfortable. For a hotel room in midtown NYC, they were very spacious and fantastic value for money. A must stay.

A good place to stay your New York experience.

Room Tip: Eat at the Viand restaurant (next door) was brilliant. The place was very friendly, it has fantastic...
3 Thank Scotte23
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Beacon in August last year and I can't speak highly enough of this hotel.
We had the top suite with a magnificent view of the Hudson and close to the Subway and Central Park. Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. A great Deli across the road and a bottle shop next door. What more can you want!! Love to go back again. Judy Johnson, Briar Hill, Victoria, Australia

Room Tip: Penthouse suite overlooking the Hudson
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Judy J
Boston
Reviewed January 16, 2014

This was my third or fourth time staying at the Beacon. When my kids were younger, we appreciated the kitchenette for breakfast and having separate rooms to sleep in. Now that they are teenagers and night owls, the separate rooms with doors are still appreciated. Very clean room. We had some maintenance issues and the staff was very responsive. In fact, this hotel has some of the nicest staff I have encountered in NYC. Special shout out to Jet, nice guy! Another good thing about the hotel is that two subway stations are a very short walk away. The 72nd subway station has an express train to Times Square, takes about 5 minutes to get there. The Fairway, an excellent food market (one of my favorite anywhere), is right across the street. They have a cafe on the top floor where we had dinner. Casual and the food was excellent. For a quick breakfast, the restaurant next to the hotel is good.

2 Thank Touchbase