“A good start in NY”

Ranked #65 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Sittingbourne
“A good start in NY”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

This was the fist hotel in our 3 week coast to coast journey across the USA and it proved to be a gem.
We arrived very late and tired but the room was so comfortable and having our own kitchen was an unexpected bonus.
The location was ideal, close to the subway making it easy to get around, a massive supermarket across the road and an excellent diner next door for good and economic breakfast.
The staff were friendly and helpful with information about getting around and booking theater trips. An excellent start and just what was required.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (722)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
UK
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stayed last week of May and it was My 3rd time at Beacon and it never disappoints. Got my room as soon as I arrived and asked for a high floor as never been higher than 10th and nice guy on desk gave me a very nice room on 19th floor. Very quiet floor, great room with a great kitchen area and got the teapot out right away and had my green tea. Room good size as they all are in hotel and the best news was that WiFi was free anywhere in the hotel so no late nights siting in Starbucks sending emails :).

Was unpacked, shopped in Fairways and got my metro card and I was off to explore New York. Metro card was $30 for a week and worth every penny as for long distances to travel it was great and when feet got tired easy to jump on a bus and enjoy the scenery. Subway is only a 2 minute walk, plenty of buses also to take you to 5th, 7th Aves and Broadway all within a 3 minute walk from hotel. I always carry my subway/bus map everywhere as after 16 years of visits NYC I'm still finding new places.

Front desk were very helpful, TV not working when I arrived and was fixed when I got back from Fairways, anything you needed they were helpful. Concierge desk again cheery and helpful as we're the doormen. Had a great shower in my room, and good supply of crockery, utensils and tea towels and clothes for the kitchen. Good size safe so I could keep my iPad in it and everything else I I owned but didn't want to carry around with me. Beds very comfortable with plenty of pillows and a flatscreen TV. there was also had a small table a 2 chairs where i could sit and have breakfast every morning. The lifts have improve as it was a quick journey up and back to 19th floor every day.

My room faced the back of hotel, first for me and I had a great view of the Dakota Building and could see some of the trees of Central Park. Only one night I heard sirens outside it wa so quiet that high up and just what I needed. My only complaint was air con is so loud when it went off throughout the night there was just this massive thud several times a night, got round it with some earplugs from my flight.

Really love this hotel as its in a nice quiet residential area and plenty of places to eat and little stores to look around. Hotel now has a bar, good addition and not too bad prices. This will always be one of my hotels to stay at whilst in NYC.

Another great stay and planning to return with some friends in future.

Room Tip: Rooms at back of hotel and on higher floor very quiet Dont feel afraid to ask for a room on a highe...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Scottie57
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

We've stayed here several times before because of its excellent location. It truly is one of the best spots to stay in all of New York - peaceful, close to the places we like etc. Love the addition of the gorgeous new Beacon Bar. Wow! The room is not fancy, but its spotless and we like having our own kitchen especially when there's a grocery right across the street. Also Loved the addition of the Kuerig, but the rooms still need newer showerheads.The only thing that was disappointing this time was the lack of service. It seemed like there were always plenty of bellman standing around but not doing much of anything. In fact three of them stood there while we grabbed our bags off the rack and took them up to the room ourselves. My room request (for a particular view) was granted but again nothing special about the quality of service. I know its a smaller hotel but a smile and greeting wouldnt kill you. All in all I would still recommend. We had a pleasant stay.

• Stayed June 2013
6 Thank SheShopsTooMuch
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2013

This was going to be a rave review. We booked in on a Friday for a week's stay and, to our astonishment, were upgraded to a double king's suite: two king-size bedrooms, two bathrooms, full kitchen, fabulous sitting room, three televisions and a dressing room, with incredible views down onto the Broadway crowds infesting the wonderful all-foods shopping supermarket opposite. We were just two people and had a weekend beyond our dreams (or pocket). Bu then came Monday and from early morning to late evening, Monday, Tusday, Wednesday, we were subjected to the drills, hammers and other mind-blowing sounds of men working to refurbish the other rooms in our vicnity and bring them up to the top-luxe standard we had been enjoying. It was absolute hell which might have been mitigated had we been told at check in that this was why we had been upgraded. But we were not and nobody apologised or seemed in the slightest concerned at our discomfort. If we did not like it, we were told, we could move to the sort of one room apartment we had originally reserved. We stayed. You would have, too. But now you know why this was not a rave review. Next time, I hope, it will be.

Room Tip: Ask if the building work is done and, if it is, stay there. It is a great New York place to stay.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gdavidp
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2013

The Hotel Beacon was a really nice hotel to stay in but we did have some problems when we went. It was too far away from times square, but our travel agent told us it was the perfect place to stay when in New York. So on the way back to our hotel we always had to get taxis back witch would cost us about $30 a ride!

Room Tip: Stay in Times Square
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Amy D
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Our room/apartment was a good size and had lovely decor. I especially liked the lamps with twin chains! We had a king bed and a lounge room and kitchenette. We could also open our windows when we wanted fresh air and when we wanted to listen to the sounds of NYC. Yes the bathroom is smallish but perfectly serviceable. We were on the 15th floor and we had a corner room. Our windows faced east and so thanks to jet lag I watched the sun come up most mornings!

When my husband booked the hotel he told them we would be celebrating our wedding anniversary in NYC. A bottle of wine and chocolates were waiting for us in our room when we checked in. A lovely touch!

If you stay here you can shop at the supermarket across the road and try the supermarket's upstairs cafe for breakfast or a great chicken/bacon salad for lunch.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RosieGlg
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Beacon for five nights with our two teenage daughters, and had the best time! The hotel is situated in a lovely neighbourhood on the Upper West Side on Broadway at 75th, yet was very reasonably priced. It was so convenient - there is a subway station a couple of blocks away, a great market across the road where you can get anything you want (we got bread, milk, cereal, etc so we could eat breakfast in our apartment before we left for the day). There are many restaurants in the area, including a great little steak restaurant across the road, a diner/cafe downstairs, great Turkish and Italian places within a couple of blocks....a multitude of choices all within easy walking distance. Central Park is about ten minutes walk away.
Our one bedroom apartment, was cosy yet had plenty of room for the four of us. The bedroom had two queen beds with a walk in robe. The living room had a sofa and small dining table with chairs and cute little kitchen with oven, hotplates, microwave and decent sized fridge. There is also one small bathroom.
We were on the corner of the 22nd floor and had magnificent views of the surrounding areas of the city to the Hudson River to the west and downtown along Broadway.
We absolutely loved the Beacon Hotel and wish we could have stayed longerl - their front desk staff and concierge were always friendly and helpful, and as I said the location is fantastic. We would definitely stay there again and recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family