For us, this was a thumbs-up: a good-size room with good in-room amenities at a good price for NYC. But the hotel itself is lacking a lot of the amenities of a larger hotel, and it isn't in a great location for most tourists.
Whether the Hotel Beacon will make sense for you depends on what you want/need.
- Reasonable prices for larger-than-average rooms by NYC standards. We paid $205 base rate, reflecting a slight discount, for a queen bed room.
The room had a kitchenette (an actual electric range, sink, fridge, plates and silverware) and a full bathtub, which you don't always get in NYC.
- Rooms clean and new in addition to being a good size for NYC
- Very up-to-date digital TV box (supports Apple TV streaming from laptop)
- Staff were friendly enough
- No gym
- No restaurant/room service (so you'll be wanting to use that kitchenette. But there's a good supermarket, Fairway, directly across the street. Be healthy and save yourself some money!)
- Not the greatest location for tourists. Upper West Side is more residential; it's safe and quiet, but not close to anything touristy. This was fine for us, as we used to live in NYC and were just in town for business in the neighborhood, so we knew how to get around and what to expect, but if you're coming from overseas and don't know NYC, don't expect any tourist attractions to be walking distance. (Having said that, 72d St subway station is a couple of blocks away; if you catch the express train, Times Square is 1 stop away.)
- Not great sound insulation. Could very clearly hear the kids crying in the next room.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Hotel Beacon NYC, a haven of comfort amid the bustling excitement of New York City. Located on the historic Upper West Side, amid tree-lined streets and landmark buildings, the hotel is a beacon for relaxation. Friendly and accommodating, we offer handsomely decorated, oversized guestrooms and suites. With wonderful views of Central Park, the Hudson River and Midtown Manhattan, the Beacon is the perfect vantage point from which to venture anywhere in New York. And when your busy day is done, you'll have a perfect place to come home to. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Despegar.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Hotel Beacon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Beacon Hotel New York City
- Hotel Beacon New York