“Highly recommended”

Ranked #58 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Melbourne, Australia
“Highly recommended”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Stayed in June with family. Amazing hotel, excellent location near Central Park, Subway station and several decent restaurants. We were lucky enough to have a room on the 23rd floor with view on the river. Definetly a plus. If I have to name a negative: the elevator was broken a couple times and for a hotel this size, one would expect more then 2.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Anna V

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (716)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Beacon for 6 nights in December and thoroughly enjoyed our holiday. As we are on an extended holiday in the USA and Canada we found it great to have the kitchenette facility and the ability to do laundry at the hotel. The grocery shops over the road were terrific and with a very reasonable restaurant downstairs and Starbucks across the street we had everything we needed for an affordable and comfortable stay in NY. Just 3 mins walk from subway station 75 (which is an express station) we never had to wait more that a couple of minutes for train. It is only 10 mins from the Beacon to Times Square and Broadway theatre. The Beacon staff informed us about the weekly subway ticket which costs just $29 and gives you unlimited travel for 7 days. Thoroughly recommend the Beacon, but book early they are very popular.

Room Tip: By pure chance, We were on the top floor and had a wonderful view. Ask for level 25 and a room with...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Robyn F
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I'm very glad I followed my Aunty's advice! I stayed here between 21st and 25th August 2012.

When I arrived at the Hotel Beacon, I was checked in very quickly which was a relief as it was 8pm and I was tired.

While my window was right next to the hotel roof, it was secure and the curtains covered it well so that no-one could see in. This wasn't an issue as I didn't plan on staying in my room during the day anyway.

The room had a comfy double bed, digital television, decent-sized wardrobe, iPod dock, bathroom and a kitchenette which was very welcome during my stay! The kitchenette had clean appliances (kettle, mugs etc) and a stove top. It also had a fridge and kitchen cupboards. Everything in the room was very clean.

The cleaners did a good job and left a note under my door saying to call them before 1pm if I wanted my room cleaned (they didn't want to wake me up or disturb me when I had the 'do not disturb' sign on my door).

Also, I had a corner room in my own little hallway which meant I didn't have any noisy guests anywhere near me. In fact, I think I was situationed next to the janitors closet which was fine with me!

The location was the very best. The concierge was helpful and gave me a map of the area and identified the nearest subway and explained which line to take. He was a very helpful young man! The subway station is only a 2-3 minute walk down Broadway (72nd street entrance) and from there you catch the '1' line to Times Square which takes all of 10 mins to reach (maybe less) or you can stay on and go to the end and get off at Battery Park/Staten Island Ferry terminal and walk around Wall Street, walk up to the World Trade site etc.

Central Park is a 5 minute walk around the corner and most of the tourist hop-on, hop-off buses stop along both the East and West sides of the Park.

Subway just a 3 min walk away and other cafes and restaurants in short walking distance. Grocery/fruit market across the road.

In short, above average service, great location and quality rooms. I'll be staying at the Hotel Beacon again when I return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Belinda P
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Stayed at this hotel (post cruise) for a few days in the fall. First time in NYC, and we could not have made a better hotel choice!! It is on the upper west side, within walking distance of Central Park and the subway station. The area is comfortable and quiet with a neighborhood feel. There is a great grocery store across the street, as well as some terrific local restaurants nearby. Times Square is just a short subway or cab ride away. (The double decker 'on/off' tour bus stop is also within walking distance of this hotel.....an added plus.) The hotel itself is smaller, clean and very well maintained. My only complaint here is that our room location was in the back overlooking a rooftop.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank concierage-az
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed January 7, 2013

As a former New Yorker and resident of the upper West side, I don't want to stay anywhere BUT the upper West side. I've tried a number of the other hotels in this area and think the Beacon is one of the best for its price. It is more expensive since it's been renovated and I, for one, didn't mind the old world, somewhat frumpy look it had, but I must admit, it looks sleeker and more modern now. My recent 3 day stay during Christmas week went flawlessly - accommodating staff, comfortable room - esp. the bed and the pillows (!).
One note to all those who read this review: Fairway is not only a great place to shop, but there is a terrific cafe upstairs (as well as an organic foods section). Viand is not your only breakfast option.
I

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank mid214
Rockhampton, Australia
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This was my second time staying at the Beacon. The Upper West Side location is wonderful, it was great to escape the insanity of Times Square and I love the fact that it is so close to Central Park and has great local restaurants and a real neighborhood feel. I was initially a bit scared to stay here again as I had heard it was now a Contiki Hotel, but I didn't have any issues.

The staff are excellent, the rooms larger than your average USA hotel room and the biggest bonus for us was the kitchenette.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lori1272
Reviewed January 6, 2013

The most comfortable, clean, exquisitely decorated, well-run, affordable hotel you will ever manage to find in New York City. This beautiful gem is located in one of the very best neighborhoods in New York directly across the street from a seemingly endlessly supplied supermarket on one corner, and a superb gourmet market on the other. It is a true luxury to have the fully furnished kitchenette in your room at The Beacon when so much wonderful food is available just steps away. When you feel like going out for any meal, you have to travel no further than the ground floor corner of the hotel at Broadway and W. 75th for incredible choices at The Viand. The 72nd street subway station is clean, safe, and a breeze to travel directly or connect to all parts of New York. I was in New York alone for a friend's Broadway debut, stayed in a fine 25th floor one bedroom suite, had glorious views of the Hudson, Broadway, and the NYC skyline, and it was delightful. I won't stay anywhere other than The Beacon when I'm back in this magnificent city. Anyone will find they will feel the same after one stay there. You will truly feel at home at The Beacon.

Room Tip: Look for exceptional prices on the King one bedroom suite on TripAdvisor. Book early for your trip...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo