“BED BUGS”
Review of Kitano New York

Kitano New York
Ranked #102 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed at one of Kitano's $529/night room last night on 5/14/13 on the 8th floor. I took a shower and went to bed. Thanks to having my lights still on, 5 minutes later, I saw something moving on the pillow next to me. Jumping out of bed, I lifted the pillow and found 3 more bugs crawling in the sheets. Judging from their size and flat bodies, they appeared to be bed bugs. Disgusted, I reached for a tissue and killed the ones I saw. I called the front desk demanding the manager to come up. While waiting, I found another bug. By this time, I had changed out of the Kitano bathrobe and back into my clothes ready to leave the hotel.
When I explained the situation to the night manager Aaron, his response was appalling. He asked me whether I had been out of the country, implying that I had possibly brought the bugs into the room, despite the bugs being found all over inside the bed covers which I had only been lying on for a total of about 10 minutes before the manager had arrived. The manager kept repeating, ''We do not have bed bugs. I don't know what that is.'' He also said that in the 10 years he had been working at the hotel, there had never been a bed bug problem at Kitano hotel. I later did some research and found out that in 2010, Kitano was mentioned on the Bed Bug Planet sm website for a previous bed bug incident.
DO NOT STAY AT KITANO HOTEL. THEY ARE FILTHY.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank tomomi m
ClementCarey, General Manager at Kitano New York, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Dear Ms. Tomomi,

I am most distressed that you encountered insects in your guest room. Allow me to sincerely apologize and I assure you that The Kitano New York strives to continuously maintain the highest standards of cleanliness and sanitation.

By industry protocol, we are trained to fully investigate any such concerns with both our housekeeping staff and an outside pest control service. These steps enable us to keep our facility in optimum condition at all times.

I regret that our staff''s response was less than acceptable. I am confident that our night manager did not mean to be accusatory, but just seeking additional information.

If you would like to speak with me about your stay, or how The Kitano New York can regain your confidence and have you return to our hotel, please call me directly,

Your truly,

Clement Carey
The Kitano New York
ccarey@kitano.com
212 885 7002

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I had a very nice stay at Kitano. I would happily stay again. The best part of the hotel is the service. Very professional. After a hard day of huffing it in New York, I looked forward to returning to the room and relaxing. For work, the location could not be beat. The room was very comfortable and I was upgraded at check in. I had breakfast in the hotel restaurant. The breakfast buffet was average.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank BulldogMatt
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Very luxurious hotel. Small enough to be personal. Great jazz bar on premises. Room was very light with nice views of park Avenue. Pretty quiet given its location. A very pleasant experience worth the price.

Room Tip: Get a corner room facing Park Avenue
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ax52
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My 40th and I've always wanted to toto New York.
We had a lovely experience at The Kitano on Park Avenue. It is within walking distance of Grand Central (2 mins) and Times Square prob 10 mins. We did lots of walking and experienced fantastic food, culture, New Yorkers and so much more.
The Kitano made us welcome and comfortable with a fantastic doorman who was so knowledgable.We highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank emma_dean
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Superb hotel, and I can't believe some of the negative comments....

So what if the restaurants are expensive - you have about a thousand other restaurants within walking distance.
So what if there is no gym - you get free access to a nearby gym, which is probably a hundred times better than any hotel gym.
What's the big deal about coffee ? - there were complementary Starbucks Via packs in our room, and a Starbucks very nearby.
What's the nonsense about noise from the Jazz club ? - You could hardly hear it on the ground floor.

Got an internet deal at $200 which made the stay even more enjoyable

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fillipo
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Stayed at the Kitano for 2 nights on a business trip. This hotel is centrally located on Park Avenue, by E. 38, only blocks from Grand Central. Yet, the quiet ambiance make it feels like a world away from the city's hustle and bustle! The staff is courteous and professional, the rooms are spacious and clean, even though they may not have the latest high-tech gadgets.
My only dissatisfaction, and this is subjective-wish the mattress and the pillows would be firmer.
Would definitely recommend this hotel. .

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 29, 2013

This has a fabulous mid-town situation, just visible blocks away from Grand Central Station. It was also the designated hotel for a family wedding. Our room was comfortable with plenty of walk around space and a beautiful view of the church across Park Avenue. We arrived much earlier than expected and, while our room was not ready when we arrived, the hotel accommodated our very early check-in graciously and quickly. The ambiance is understated and classic, the staff friendly and very helpful. Our room was somewhat stuffy at first, but the window opened--which let in heavenly fresh air on a beautiful weekend, and when we closed it at bedtime, all the road noise disappeared miraculously. The wall-controlled thermostat kept it at a perfect temperature all night long. We were worried about the sounds of doors in the hall closing, but didn't hear them at all at night. The only thing that kept us laughing was that, every time they cleaned the room or turned down our beds, they removed used cups and glasses but did not replace them. By our last morning, we were down to one--which I'm sure would have been augmented had we asked. On a busy, sold-out weekend, it was a haven of quiet in a busy city.

Room Tip: Great windows in every room we saw--lots of light and nice views, and busy streets didn't seem t...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family