“Zen in the heart of the city”
Review of Kitano New York

Kitano New York
Ranked #109 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Toronto, Canada
“Zen in the heart of the city”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

The Kitano hotel is a little slice of peace and tranquility in the heart of New York. The rooms are a bit on the small side but then again, it is New York City. That being said, the bed was very comfortable and the room was very quiet. The location is very good, located close to the subway and yet within walking distance to Herald Square and Grand Central Terminal. (Times Square was a bit further away on foot, but still fairly close; about 15 minutes away)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Thame, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2013

The Kitano hotel is Japanese owned and reflects the stereotypical calmness and sophistication that you would expect. The staff are quietly efficient and nothing is too much trouble. Our 'superior' room was large, well appointed and comfortable. Our only, very minor, complaint was that we were suppied with a bowl of fruit in the room and this was not replenished or replaced for the whole of our 4 day stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Rooms are in need of updating - things look dated and a bit worn. Rooms are small and it's certainly not a stellar hotel by any standard. My major complaint was the long strands of dark hair and the large bug that accompanied my morning shower - very off-putting. I told the desk about this but no accommodation for a dirty bathroom was offered. For the price, you can do better in NYC.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank commecicommeca14
fort lauderdale
Reviewed January 3, 2013

This hotel was fine, but not for a four star hotel. The room was fair and the bathroom was quite small and unremarkable compared to most of the hotels I stay in. If I had paid retail I would have been unhappy, but I booked on Priceline and got a good deal, so I have no complaints with my stay due to the price I paid.
I have never been in a hotel where you have to pay for the packages of coffee and imitation creamer that are usually provided gratis. I thought that was kind of weird. It was $2.00 a cup. I wound up ordering room service which was $10.00 for the pot including tip. Be careful, or they will try to get you for $10.00 per person for the one pot lol.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mbaker04
NY
Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

You pay a decent about of money for a night here...we paid around 380.00 usc for the night..the room and bathroom were clean but there was nothing luxurious about the hotel as they say. The bed was comfortable..but we have stayed at other hotels where Coffee is free...they charge for coffee, tea is free so I guess its good if your a tea drinker.. overall clean, quiet but nothing special.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank marisgl
Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I got a King room for a great deal over Thanksgiving through Travelzoo so I'm happy with what I paid to stay here. If I had paid full price I would give this hotel 3 stars. My room was small but comfortable with a wonderful bed and very clean. The bathroom was very nice with good shower pressure and nice towels....even had a towel warmer! My only complaint with the room would be the dim lighting in the bathroom. The bulbs are set on a timed dimmer- energy conservation I guess. This is a Japanese themed hotel with a Japanese restaurant in the basement level which has good food. Upon check-in, we were given a 20% discount coupon for the hotel bistro where we ate lunch. It had a nice atmosphere, food was good and with the discount, a fair price. This hotel is in a great location....a short walking distance to Grand Central and Times Square as well as shopping and good restaurants. I would stay here again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
cherry Hill, NJ
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I was expecting more...the little things that make a small Hotel special..The Kitano just didn't have it. I mean, if I'm paying over $700 per night, (I had 2 rooms, so it was close to $1500), how dare you charge me $2.00 per cup of INSTANT coffee in my room? Are you kidding me?

The doorman was rude and unfriendly. I had to remind him to say "Hello". The rooms were dark and lacking of any bright light in the bathroom; my wife found it difficult to apply her limited make-up (she doesn't need that much, she's naturally beautiful!).

The bathroom and rooms were in need of a thorough scrubbing...we actually found nail clippings on the coffee table and mold under the soap dish...it all felt kinda old. Also, we were curious why there was portable space heaters in the rooms. Do the rooms get cold in the winter? This is the second time we'll stay here...First and Last!

Room Tip: Not Great Value Here!