“Great Room, Nice Service, and Convenient Location”
Review of Kitano New York

Kitano New York
Ranked #111 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Cleveland, Ohio
“Great Room, Nice Service, and Convenient Location”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed only one night at Superior Room on 14th floor. It was a spacious corner room and had comfortable beds and view. We could see Empire State Building from our windows. The hotel is located very close to Grand Central Terminal. Front desk was very nice and professional. We ate breakfast at Jazz at Kitano. Their food was OK, nothing special.

There is only one concern - room rate and additional charges. If I pay $400 for one night, I don't want to pay $5 for a bottle of water, or $3 for coffee. They should be included in my room rate. I did not use any stuff, so I do not care at all, though.

Room Tip: If you want to have a nice view, please stay at a corner room at higher floor. The view is excellent...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Shimo625

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed August 4, 2012

First off, let me say that I was very pleased with the location of the hotel. The property is in walking distance to Grand Central Terminal which is perfect for catching the subway and reaching all of your sightseeing destinations in and around New York City. There is also a Starbucks and several restaurants within walking distance. One restaurant we really enjoyed was the Fifth Ave. Tavern. Very nice atmosphere and excellent food. Now to the room. The first room we received smelled very badly of cigarette smoke and there was an odd (and still wet) stain on the bed. We immediately asked the front desk for another room. The front desk was very accommodating and provided us with another room. The second room was much, much better. It was fresh smelling and was clean. However, the downside was that the room was very small. Yes, I have heard that rooms are small in New York City; however, I have stayed at other places in NYC and the room was considerably larger. The bed was pushed so close to the wall, that it was difficult to climb into the bed from that side. Not only was the room small, the beds were small. Impossible for two adults to sleep comfortably in one bed. Traveling with a family, size of the room is very important. We felt like we were crammed into the room like sardines. Yes, the good news is there is so much to do in NYC that the room is really just a place to sleep, but when you travel with a family, lack of space means it takes longer to get ready in the morning. Not to mention, relaxing at night is near impossible. We were on top of each other. Not happy at all with that. As far as front desk staff, and the doorman. They were very polite and accommodating. Nothing wrong there. I will not be returning to the Kitano, for one reason and that was the size of the room. Perhaps there suites are much bigger, but I probably wouldn't be able to afford that rate!

Room Tip: Single travelers only. A family of 3 or 4 will not be comfortable in this room, unless you upgrade...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank family_vacati0ns
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed August 1, 2012

We stayed at the Kitano for two nights recently after securing a rate on Hotwire. Having paid under $200/night for a four star hotel in NYC I was skeptical as to how great an experience I would have.

The staff was very friendly and professional prior to and throughout my stay. After booking I called to request a non-smoking king room and while I was told they couldn't promise I'd get my request it was fulfilled upon check in.

The room/decor itself looks a little bit dated but everything was very clean. The beige color scheme made the room look dingier than it actually was. Heading into the bathroom was like taking a trip back to the 90's with it's gold fixtures and marble shower. While the decor was of little import to me other than providing a chuckle some may find the rooms dated.

The TV had a nice supply of cable channels including one in Japanese. I should mention this is an Asian influenced hotel as you may not have noticed that fact in other reviews. Keeping with the theme the hotel provides green tea in room as the complimentary beverage. Starbucks VIA singles are available for $2/pop.

Bath amenities were very good and the water pressure and temperature of the shower just perfect. Sleeping was a pleasure as the bed was quite comfy and the light-blocking curtain did a good job of doing just that.

Those who wish to have a great view will need to be placed on higher floors. Out fifth floor room had a view of the building next door and a portion of the Empire State Building. As we were out of the room most of the time the view was not important to us this time.

The only negative I experienced was being billed for two bottles of water that were never placed in the room. A quick visit to the front desk the following weekend had the amount credited to my card within 2 business days.

Overall I quite enjoyed my stay at the Kitano particularly having saved a good $200 over similar properties for the weekend we stayed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank griff72
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 22, 2012

This is a wonderful hotel. It was our second stay within last couple of years and we would definitely go back because there is consistently very good service.

We stayed in double-bed rooms each time and they were quite spacious. The bathrooms were very large, well kept, kind of luxurious, and very clean. Every time we came to our room we found it in great condition. The only downside was that the air conditioner did not work very efficiently. But we did not complain to the front desk, so it might just be our room.
There is no iron or ironing table in the room, which I find a little odd. But within minutes after we asked for one, they were delivered and were left in our room during the rest of our stay.

The location is great. It is is several blocks from Grand Central and placed on Park Avenue. Wonderful quite evenings while knowing that you are very close to every part of the City. It is away from the chaos of TimesSquare but still at the center.

The stuff is very polite and helpful; we felt welcomed and a little spoiled. :) They certainly carry on Japanese heritage of high quality service and serenity in environment.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of Chrysler Bulding on a higher floor. This will be a street-side room, b...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bormandic
Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I were in new York on business for 4 days in january 2012. We stayed 3 nights. I rate this hotel a 4.5 out of 5. This was our 1st stay at a japanese style hotel. The entire staff were friendly, very welcoming, warm and helpful. Check in and out was speedy. Everyone greated you wirh a smile. Beautiful lobby and other common areas had lots of museum quality artwork. They had nightly jazz and a great bar lounge.

Room/bathroom: was spotless, clean carpet/furniture/walls, comfy bed with luxurious linens, and a great view of the city. The bathroom was marble, had a towel warmer, bathrobe n slippers. We had a 37 in flat screen tv with more than enough channels. We also had a small desk in the room. By new York standards, the room
size was average but in Texas, everything is big. My husband said the room was cozy but was the size of a stateroom on a cruise ship.

Our room was very warm (in january). hotel staff offered to change our room to a lower level and with no view ( they were booked)so we declined. A few minutes after the call, staff were in our room with a fan and was able to open the window enough to make us comfortable. The manager also had a beautiful fruit tray belivered to our room with an apology letter. She even followed up with a phone call.

During the winter, they have a one track system so we had no control over the heat:(

Overall, we love this hotel.

Location: great location and walking distance from various restaurants and shops. Less than a 5 min walk to grand central station, park avenue, etc. Try the 24hr diner around the corner. The 2 of us ate for $20 including drinks.

We didn't eat at the hotel but saw the food. It looked and smelled great, but we were on a budget.

There was a fee for Internet as with most hotels nowadays. :)

• Stayed January 2012
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Fabulous Japanese Hotel two minutes walk from Grand Central Station. The Hotel is in the heart of one off the most exciting cities in the World and what a reception, champagne on arrival with tit bits to boot...once booked through reception which is a hasty ordeal, marvellous ! we were escorted to our rooms with our baggage to follow porters attached. The rooms where on the small side but very modern and clean, I suppose when you arrive at somewhere that you have never been before you yearn to be pleased and we were pleasantly. It felt right, it felt safe and I knew it was exactly what would make me want to return again... Fabulous...

Room Tip: Try and reserve a room facing Grand Central or 5th Avenue,,,, the proverbial DOGS..if you get my dri...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank GrahamPenfold1966
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Overall this hotel was very nice. Very nice bathrooms, decent sized rooms for New York, new amenities and the whole hotel is very clean. I would have given this a very good rating, if not for a few things: First, if you are going to be a grand a night hotel, I expect free or at least easy to access internet. If not free, at least let me charge the $10 a night to the room and pay it with incidentals. And provide instructions beyond call the front desk, who aren't happy to hear from me anyway. Second, please don't charge me $2 a pack for crappy instant coffee. Just include it. Even buying the barely bulk 50 pack, each packet costs less than 70 cents. So, I pay $1.30, at least, per pack because the hotel doesn't offer coffee makers and came up with the via solution? Really. Old reviews mention the complete lack of coffee to the hotel, so I expect this is a new, and terribly executed idea. (Note: Tea is free in the rooms, At least I haven't been charged for it yet.) Third, this may be a great vacation/sightseeing location, being in downtown and close to many tourist spots, but this is a hotel to avoid if you are travelling on business and expect to work after hours.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business