“Would not recommend the Kimberly Hotel”
Review of The Kimberly Hotel

The Kimberly Hotel
Ranked #59 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Cape Cod
“Would not recommend the Kimberly Hotel”
Reviewed May 14, 2007

After a great 3 night stay at the Kimberly Hotel in May 2006 I booked again for a 4 night stay in October 2006 but this time requesting a luxury suite for 4 nights - Again the staff was outstanding but unfortunately the luxury suite did not meet the standard I was anticipating. I stayed in suite 23G. Not only was the bathroom much smaller that the one during my past stay, the plug for the Jacuzzi tub did not work, that was one of the main reasons for getting the luxury suite. The faucet in the mini bar came off in my hand and that sink was unusable, I had problems with the safe, the drapes in the living room would not close leaving an opening of 8 feet, had problems with the wall mounted TV. After returning home I wrote a letter the the manager whose name I was given at the front desk and did not receive any response from the Kimberly Hotel. I would not stay there again and woudl not recommend that hotel to anyone.
Why did I wait so long to place this - I just found Trip Advisor - staying at the Benjamin Hotel at the end of May and this time booked two suites, one for myself and the other for friends.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — Management
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Puck1351

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Polish first
Northern California
Reviewed April 14, 2007

This was a first visit to NYC for my husband and myself and The Kimberly was just what we were looking for in location, ambiance and service. We did not want a huge hotel that was impersonal. The size of the room was fantastic, especially because we had read so much about the small size of rooms in NYC. The full kitchen was terriffic because we had breakfast and sometimes dinner in. We felt we had our own apartment in midtown with the large living room and separate bedroom. The gas to the cook stove was turned off in the entire building due to "safety concerns" but it really wasn't necessary to our enjoyment.

The hotel is obviously older and a little out of date fashion-wise but is very well maintained and very clean.

The service from reservations to front desk to bell staff and doormen could not have been better. Their friendlyness and kind recommendations were consistant and helpful.

The location was great for walking many places as well as very near the subway.

We loved walking just two blocks to 2nd street between 50th & 51st Ave for some great reasonably priced resturants as well as a good market. The Jamison provided a simple good meal with clean cozy ambiance one nite. On two other evenings we ate at Pasta Presto & Grill for really good meals that were incredably well priced. We could not believe how people would wait hours for overpriced mediocure food from chains that you could get at any city in America instead of walk a few blocks to wonderful little neighborhoods for a really special meal, great ambiance and reasonable prices.

We recommend this hotel highly to friends and family and look forward to going there again.

• Liked — Size, location and service
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Scannon
So. California
Reviewed April 2, 2007

Went for an all girls week in October 2006 and were pleased with the 2 bedroom, 2 bath suite at $635 per night. Five of us stayed and did not feel cramped in any way. It was nice having the refrigerator and microwave for a light breakfast before we set out for the day or for a late evening dessert. The only small complaint we had was 1) the sofa bed was very uncomfortable and 2) the stove did not work. However, the hotel was quick to offer a 30% discount to the restaurant located dowstairs and brought up a roll-away to replace the sofa bed. This hotel is located very near a subway entrance and within walking distance to many sights. The room was quiet, clean and furnished nicely. I would recommend it highly.

• Liked — Furnishings, location, quiet, size
  • Disliked — sofa bed
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank ChachisMom
Connecticut
Reviewed March 1, 2007

Although I'm not a fan of midtown, and I much prefer to stay downtown, I was traveling with my teenage son, so we needed two beds, plenty of room, and some privacy from each other.

Downtown hotels are extremely expensive, and geared toward couples (not the mom & son variety!). So I was forced to look midtown and chose the Kimberly for their wide variety of rooms, at a decent price.

I booked directly with the hotel in December for February 17-19, repeated all my requirements, including the date, and when I called back to confirm, they said you were a no show for January 17-19. I was outraged, as pretty much the first thing a reservations clerk should get right is The Date.

Prices had gone up considerably since I had originally booked, but they honored the original price for a one-bedroom suite. They screwed up, but they made up for it. Can't fault them there.

Valet parking was swift and seamless, just the way I like it. As midtown is particularly busy, this was particularly important. We arrived early (10:00 a.m.) and our suite was already available for us. Another plus.

I opened the door, and the first thing I noticed was the Absence of Cigarette Smoke. Another plus. So many hotels say the room is no smoking, but they consider it no smoking if You don't smoke in there. Our suite was fresh smelling, clean, and Huge. Large kitchen, fully stocked with all the cookware you could ever need, large livingroom with pull-out queen sofa bed (my son said it was a bit uncomfortable, but being a teenager, didn't mind roughing it), and the master bedroom was huge and nicely appointed. Linens were high quality, the matress was comfortable, loads of pillows, and the comforter was a Very high quality down. Quite nice.

Bathroom was very small, but after staying in many NYC hotels, I've become used to that. Shower pressure okay, nothing great, but no real complaints.

Unfortunately, although my suite was no smoking, the Floor was not no smoking, and the hallways reeked of cigarettes. Not because anybody smoked in the hallways --- they didn't. But because the people in the suites across from mine were smokers, the fumes crept out into the hallway. Waiting for the elevator, outside Mr. & Mrs. Tobacco's suite, was brutal.

Hey Kimberly Hotel --- take a hint from your neighbors at The Benjamin: Make your entire hotel no smoking.

Beyond that, a glorious stay. As all our activity was downtown, we either walked or took the bus, and the bus stops frequently on Lexington Ave. (downtown bound) and Third Ave. (uptown bound), with many stops along the way.

People behind the lobby desk are a bit aloof, but they get the job done. The bellhops and attendants who open the door and help you out are Fantastic. Extremely well-mannered and cheery, without being intrusive.

If the Kimberly were downtown, I'd definitely stay there again. If you're looking for a midtown hotel with large, clean rooms, competitively priced, and comfortable accommodations, I'd recommend it.

• Liked — Space & cleanliness
  • Disliked — Cigarette smell in hallway, yuck!!
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank call_me_a_cab
Virginia
Reviewed February 8, 2007

Stayed at Kimberly for business earlier this week. It was my first time there and I was pleased in just about all aspects of the stay. Check-In was fast and efficient. The room was a good size and although you could tell the hotel is a bit on the older side of things, the room was very clean, and very large. Furnishings were of a good to very good quality, and room was quiet (15th floor). The king-sized bed was very comfortable and there were plenty of lights to complement the large windows in both the living room and bedroom areas.

True, the rooms do not have flat-screen televisions, but both TVs worked just fine, and when I am in NYC, I am not there to watch TV if I can avoid it. Other reviewers may whine about this fact, but to me if the TV still works fine, why waste resources on a new one just to be trendy? (If you want trendy, stay somewhere else).

Breakfast at the restaurant was ok, nothing special but not bad either...but a good value as it was included in the room rate for the stay.

Staff was friendly and efficient. Location is just a half block away from the subway.

From a value-for-money perspective, it was one of the best deals I have had in New York. You can spend twice as much for a room half the size in the same location, and it will probably be noiser. Because there only a handful of rooms on each floor, and the bedrooms are offset from the main hallway, you have next to no noise from the interior of the building at night to disturb your slumber.

Overall, I would give this place a big endorsement and will stay there again.

Stayed February 2007
12 Thank max2lucy
Everywhere, USA
Reviewed February 4, 2007

We chose to stay at the Kimberly because of its excellent reviews. Unfortunately, we were horribly disappointed. While the Hotel Manager was very nice, the Assistant Hotel Manager/Concierge was argumentative and rude. Additionally, the gentleman at the front desk technically did his work by checking us in, but he was not very helpful with our questions and acted like he'd rather be anywhere else than working at the front desk.

The linens and towels in the room were beautiful and top-class. Unfortunately, the room itself was quite shabby and run-down. It was very obvious that this property was a converted apartment building and that no one had bothered to renovate this room (on the 4th floor). It was quite nice having a suite, but, once again, the furniture was old and worn out, the tvs were definitely old (compared to state-of-the-art tvs we've experienced at other hotels), and the room just looked terribly old and run-down. It was a huge disappointment from what we had been anticipating from reading other readers' reviews.

At the front desk, there is a display of a letter from Jimmy Carter. I'm sure he had a much nicer room.

• Liked — The bed linens were very comfortable.
  • Disliked — The Assistant Manager/Concierge was extremely rude.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
13 Thank WanderingMusician
Birmingham England
Reviewed January 4, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Kimberley Hotel for six days over this Christmas period.
The Hotel met all our expectations:
Although the foyer is on the small side all of the staff are polite and very efficient.
Our room was very large containing numerous storage cupbords, large wardrobes, two TV's, a bed wider than it was long (& very Comfortable), lounge area with a three peice suite and coffee table, Kitchen aea with all neccesary appliances, balcony.
The only minor disapointment was that the bath was small, more of a huge shower tray and the shower was really powerful.
Finally our moring breakfast was something that we both looked forward to. Basically a buffet with every style of breakfast food available including a designated egg man. Fantastic it was a pleasure tipping such service.

• Liked — The seperate large lounge and large comfortable bed were our highlights
  • Disliked — The Bath
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple