“Maybe the best value in NYC”
Review of The Kimberly Hotel

The Kimberly Hotel
Ranked #25 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed April 2, 2010

Finding a hotel in NYC is not a problem, but finding a good one at a reasonable price usually is. On a recent visit to attend a function at the Waldorf-Astoria I asked a friend who lives in the New York area if she knew of any hotels nearby. Without hesitation she said "The Kimberly" and gave me the name of the hotel's public relations manager who was a friend of hers. I booked the hotel through Trip Advisor at a rate of $269 which, in my experience, is a great rate for hotels in mid-town Manhattan.

We had an early morning flight and got to The Kimberly at 10 AM. Our room wasn't ready, so we checked our bags and I left a business card for the public relations lady. Upon returning to check in a two I was impressed that the doorman remembed me by name and said he would have the bags to our room at once.

Upon opening the door I quickly realized that we must have received an upgrade because we had a huge suite with a full kitchen and very large bedroom - at least twice the size of most NYC hotel rooms. There was even a balcony. The price included a full breakfast on the 30th floor penthouse which opens onto a garden patio that has fantastic views of the Chrysler building and other art deco skyscrapers.

We had three great nights in town and I thought we had received the best value for money ever in NYC. A few days after returning home I got an email from the public relations lady, apologizing for not getting back to me - she had, in fact, been out of the city during our visit. Thev reality was, we had not been upgraded - the fantastic suite we received was just an average room at The Kimberly.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed March 22, 2010

After 19 years as parents, we had the opportunity to spend a few days alone together and decided to head to NYC. I almost always stay at the Marriott Marquis in Times Square, but decided to try something different for this trip. I searched on romantic hotels in NYC and came up with a few. After comparing the recommendations, I selected The Kimberly. The space of a suite and the location away from the hustle and bustle seemed to be a good choice and for the most part it was. However, while they have a nice reputation, they are not quite up on the service as the Marriott Marquis. Also, there is a distinct difference between their regular and luxury suites. I booked online through Expedia to save a few $$$ off the cost advertised on the hotel website. The only choices for beds on Expedia were two doubles or a king. I selected king and thought I had reserved a luxury suite. I realized after I had the reservation that I had not reserved a luxury suite and called both Expedia and the hotel directly to see if I could upgrade, but they were sold out and a luxury suite was not available. When we checked in, they did not have our reservation in our name, but did have a reservation for someone with the same last name but different first name. Since we have booked things for this family member before, we thought that it was possible the reservation came from Expedia with their name instead of ours. They seemed to treat us a bit lower class since we had an Expedia reservation. If you don't want to do business with Expedia, then take your hotel off of their service. We were shown to our room, the bed was a queen. A quick call to to front desk to inquire had them tell us that our king bed request was just that and they make no guarantees in honoring it. We asked to speak with the manager, but still did not get what we had asked for in the reservation and then we asked to be put on a list to move the next night. A call to Expedia did not help out either and they distinctly had our reservation in our name. Not sure why that did not transfer to The Kimberly. I feel badly if that person did arrive later in the evening as the hotel was sold out.

Meanwhile, we did have a lovely room with a balcony. We had rooms on both the 10th and 4th floor with balconies. The suites are quite nice. The bathroom in the regular one bedroom suite was nice, if small, but well appointed. You can read many other reviews about the space. This review which I read before we left is quite accurate all around. http://www.oyster.com/new-york-city/hotels/the-kimberly-hotel/ We did call the next afternoon to see if we could move to another room, and while they did move us, it seemed to us that they considered it a bother.

They don't seem to have the cleaning staff to handle a full hotel. We had to ask that our room be cleaned up at 3pm in the afternoon. Once we did move, a bell man came into the room with another guest. Rather disturbing. Doesn't it show in their computer that the room is taken? I don't have to go into the possible scenerios with someone walking into your room. It sounded like he used the master key to get in rather than a key card. Shouldn't that have been a clue?

When we came back after our room had been cleaned, some of our trash had fallen into the hallway. It was a bit unsavory if you know what I mean. Yes, people can drop trash, but this was pretty obvious and should not have been in the hallway.

Our room came with breakfast, but we did not get to the buffet in the penthouse until our last morning. Once again, nice idea, but not quite there. The penthouse has been developed into a bar. Low seating and mostly low tables. Not the best for eating eggs, pancakes, fruit salad and the like. Yes, the buffet was a nice spread, but they had one chef cooking for a full hotel. When we got off the elevator there were 6 or 8 guests in line. By the time we left, there were 20 people in line. No one was bussing tables when got up there and it was hard to know what was available for seating. Plates, silverware and glasses were on just about every table, even though there was no one at those tables. They was no obvious place to clear your own plates to, so what to do? Stand and eat? Eventually a few waiters started to clear things up, but where were they 30 minutes before? There were more than a few miffed guests up there on Sunday morning.

The restaurant in the hotel is closed for renovation. We had a lovely dinner right down the street at Maloney and Porcelli. Great food, attentive service, absolutely delightful. Expensive, but worth every penny. We also ate at the NY Luncheonette two doors down from the hotel. Complete other end of the spectrum price wise, but completely wonderful as well. Nice staff and great service.

I can't say that our trip was a disaster, but I can't say that I would go back to this hotel again either. There are a number of hotels in this part of NYC and it might be worth your time to investigate them before booking a room at The Kimberly. They need to tighten up the service and work out the rough spots if they want return guests. This cold be a great place if they were more on the ball.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2010

I love the Kimberly. After being used to tiny NYC hotel rooms and saying to bellmen,
"I found the closet, now where's the room?" I almost wept when I checked into my room at the Kimberly. Located on E.50th between 3rd and Lex, it's near the fancy, schmancy Waldorf Astoria and around the corner from the teeny weeny rooms of the W Hotel.
For less than $300 a night ( sometimes room rates are less than $150) I walked into my spacious suite with a livingroom, dining area, kitchen ( with microwave, toaster, coffee maker, fridge, pots, pans, plates etc, dishwasher!) and a bedroom with fabulous sheets and are you ready for this girls??? THREE CLOSETS!!!! TWO FULL LENGTH MIRRORS...and drum roll.....a small terrace where I could step outside and feel the weather and see lovely views of NYC, including from my 18th floor, a peek of the Chrysler building. A lovely French Provincial desk with pretty lamp was located in a separate corner of the livingroom with WIFI or internet access cord. And if this isn't enough folks....you get free breakfast served in a greenhouse glassed in Penthouse with a guy making omelettes to order! Reading the NYTimes with great coffee, grapefruit juice, toast, fresh fruit, bacon and hash browns if you want 'em....THIS is the way to visit NYC for business or pleasure. There are even two bedroom suites..perfect for traveling families or a girls' getaway.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
8  Thank CarolynONeil
Reviewed January 10, 2010

We stayed at the Kimberly from the 27th December to the 31st December 2009. We had a deluxe guest room on the 4th floor which was lovely, it was very very clean and looked like it had recently been refurbished to a very high standard. There were beautiful roman blinds on the windows which had blackout blinds behind and the furniture looked brand new but was designed to look older. We had the best sleep ever in the bed, it was so comfortable with a lovely duck feather and down duvet and scrumptious pillows (have uploaded a photo). The marble bathroom was very nice with an excellent shower and plenty of hot water. We had clean towels every day and the bed was made up. We had a huge flat screen tv with loads of channels to choose from.
The only downside we can think of was that nothing was provided to make a cup of tea (only a coffee machine). Of course, us being Brits we had to have our cuppa so we had to heat water up in the microwave instead.
We plan to go back to New York and would definately stay at the Kimberly again. A tip to anyone staying, there is a diner next door called The New York Diner which serves food all day and evening at very low prices, we even saw people queing to eat there. Would recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 15Dixie
Reviewed January 5, 2010

I took my mom, dad & nephew to NYC for our annual holiday adventure and couldn't have been more pleased with the Kimberly Hotel. This is a suite hotel and our suite had very comfortable down bedding, a complete kitchen all in a quiet, convenient location. There were markets/grocery stores close by and many attractions (Rockefeller Center, Empire State Building, the river, etc.) were within walking distance.

I booked the room through Expedia only after calling the hotel, they actually suggested taht I book through the internet as it was cheaper. They also suggested that once I confirmed my booking, I contact them and verify to make sure all was OK prior to our arrival.

The Kimberly Hotel has a great penthouse bar with a great views of the Chrysler building and the river! We had a wonderful adventure primarily because we didn't worry about our accomodations, instead we were able to totally enjoy our holiday!

• Stayed: December 2009
Reviewed December 15, 2009

Location? This is a great spot - far enough from Times Square to feel more elegant, but close enough to walk to just about anywhere in the midtown area.

Value? This is a rare commodity in NY and everything becomes relative. For the price, interior space and location, I'd say value is great here.

Hipness factor? Sorry, no. It's comfortable but not hip. Then again, hip comes at a price that probably doubles what we paid - especially during the Christmas season.

Nice extras in the room, like linens you wish you could afford, a full refrigerator, plush robes and slippers, 2 plasma TVs, a huge walk-in closet for linens and a large safe? This is your place.

I chose the Kimberly because it was in a great location, had competitive pricing, and offered more interior space than most hotels (not to mention apartments) in NY. We were in a one-bedroom suite. When I booked I think I missed the fact the all of the rooms on 50th Street have balconies - very cool and usable even in December (if for 5 mintues). This is a rarity!

My husband talked with the gentleman at the front desk and learned that they are still updating the hotel. I think we got one of the older rooms because the furniture was nicked and there were several tassels missing from spots on the draperies. It could use a little updating. On the other hand, we arrived early and they still accommodated us and we were not awakened by any construction noise.

Final analysys: I would recommend this hotel to friends. It would just depend on which friends they were.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 14, 2009

I stayed in 1bedroom suite for an extended weekend while attending an event and doing some shopping.
I really like the location - its around the corner from W's bliss spa, just a few blocks from shopping on 5th/madison as well as lexington and restaurants in the area, and was steps away from an event I attended
The doorman was quick to open the taxi door and to take my bags which is always appreciated. He was very friendly too and opened the door for me (surprisingly, this doesnt always happen at hotels) Check-in took a while (i think the clerk was in training) and while the front desk attendents were polite, they werent particularly friendly. no smiles or chit-chat
there are two elevators which are very slloowwwm and cant take a while if its busy (especially during the afternoon and around dinnertime)
the room itself was essentially a one bedroom apartment - there was a fully functional kitchen (4 burner stove, fridge, microwave, sink, dishwasher, coffee maker, and plates/utensils) and people to take advantage of it, so the halls sometimes smell like food lol. a 4-person dining table in the living room as well as ample seating right in front of the huge lcd flat panel. there was a balcony just off the living room which im sure gets more use in warmer weather. the carpet throughout the room looked clean but by the end of the day the soles of my feet were pretty dirty from walking barefoot
the bedroom itself is pretty big and has a king bed. the a/c however didnt seem to work properly - it was on high, turned all the way "cool" but i could barely feel it. i had to resort to opening the bedroom window a few times. there is another flat panel tv in the bedroom.
my main issue with the rooms is the size of the bathroom, given the size of the living room, bedroom, and amount of storage space/closets. there is a 3-way and makeup mirror however there just isnt enough counter space - not even for one person! the toilet doesnt work properly and needs to be flushed a few times and sometimes the water runs but it stops on its own. on the plus side, i love the neutrogena toiletries and the extras like makeup remover wipes, mouthwash, but would have loved a sewing kit
if you put up a "do not disturb" sign on the door, housekeeping really does pay attention to it! i called down to have my room made up in the early evening and was told that housekeeping was already gone for the day.. i thought that was a little odd because it wasnt particularly late but i could wait until morning
overall this is a great hotel but i just dont think i'd stay here again. while the location is perfect for anyone looking to stay in midtown, the service and value could be better.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with friends