“Average Stay”

Ranked #59 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Portland, Oregon
“Average Stay”
Reviewed January 3, 2009

The pluses: Great elevators, nice high floor suites, prompt housekeeping, good balcony, great iron and ironing board, good TVs. Nice little kitchen with great refrigerator and dishwasher. Excellent shower pressure. Very comfortable beds with great pillows and comforters.

The minuses: Less than engaging front desk staff, raw edges to closet doors and other details, dirty hinges in bathroom cabinets, funky little coffee maker with no funky little filters. Had to traipse all over to find a fit. No DVD or CD player.

We stayed for two weeks over Christmas. We usually stay in an Upper West or East Side area to escape the crowds, but no availabililty this year. That said, we picked the Kimberly and overall it was a good midtown hotel. Not the best, but certainly a far cry from the worst.

Note that rates are higher than the value but if you are staying for a few days the location is great.

Stayed December 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
  • Polish first
London Town
Reviewed December 30, 2008

I just wanted to say what a wonderful time I had with my three grown-up children (no partners) celebrating my 60th Birthday in New York. I had booked the hotel directly by telephone in March and sent them an email 6 days before to make sure that everything was OK. Having spoken to the hotel originally I had booked a double suite with sitting room, a view, a balcony (although I did think it would be superfluous seeing as it was December, but actually we did use it and have a number of pictures of us with the Chrysler Building in the background) - I have to write a review because it was because of Trip Advisor that I ended up booking this hotel - I looked at hundreds. Our room was on the 26th floor and the beds were the MOST comfortable beds I have every enjoyed in an hotel, which is saying something!! The rooms are not enormous and the bathrooms quite small but beds are much more important than bathrooms. The decor is a little faded but there was real coffee to use to make coffee in the mornings - this is the first time I have found this in an hotel and my children bought me flowers for the sitting room and my bedroom and they managed to find vases for me. We were only there for 3 days but had an itinerary which we mostly kept to. Went to see Radio City Christmas Extravaganzer - the Rockettes were wonderful and then on the following night to see Circque du Soleil, which was good but I had seen the Circque du Soleil '0' in Vegas last year and that was so incredible I did not think anything could better it - and it hasn't. We went to the Spotted Pig for dinner one night - great - but a friend had recommended The River Cafe which was absolutely wonderful. It had just started to snow as we left the theatre so we crossed the Brooklyn Bridge with snow falling! Very Christmassy! One of the things I probably wouldn't recommend is the horse-drawn buggy round a tiny corner of Central Park, although it added to the whole celebratory feel.
Of course, the reason we really went was to skate in the Rockerfeller Centre and although it was drizzling slightly we had such fun - all in all, I haven't laughed so much in a long time - can there be anything better than laughing with your children? I don't think so. Stay at The Kimberly but my advice would be 'phone them directly.

• Liked — The location and the huge comfortable beds
  • Disliked — Waiting for the lift but we were on the 26th Floor!!!
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Leics
Reviewed December 1, 2008

Stayed at the Kimberly Hotel 24 - 30th November 2008, it was everything i hoped for and more.

Me and my mum booked a standard room, which had 2 double beds a fabulous bathroom and coffee making facilities, the beds were comfortable, feather duvets and lots of pillows.

It was close to a shop 2 doors down, a bakery 3 blocks up and the subway 3 blocks away, 5th and the rock an easy walk.

Ferro's next door was also great, good wine and salads for evening, and i have never seen such a breakfast spread and the eggs Benedict amazing!!

I would defiantly return to the Kimberly.

One word of caution, if the warm water runs brown, run the tap for a while, it is a old building, so rust can build up. Drinking cold water is fine different pipes.

Overall i loved the Kimberly, good service, comfy beds and great coffee.

• Liked — Beautiful and comfy beds, dressing area with big mirror, next to a good restaurant
  • Disliked — Rusty bath water - ran clear after about 10 minutes, house keeping came to clear it before i had a bath
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Kiwi_53
Surrey
Reviewed November 20, 2008

Stayed on the 12th November for 5nights i have never slept in a hotel as well as this, the beds are wonderful, everything was so clean, we stayed in a standard room but this was very large.
Three years ago stayed at the Barclay intercontinental round the corner from the Kimberly,Barclay i found not a friendly hotel like the Kimberly and the rooms were smaller!
Would recommend the Kimberly to anyone we are returning next year, cant wait.
Well done Kimberly and thank you for a fantastic stay.

• Liked — The beds
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Ireland
Reviewed November 14, 2008

Stayed here for 2 nights at the end of October. We booked a 1 bed apt through Quikbook. I rang the hotel a few weeks before arrival to ask for a room on a high floor(slightly less noise)and the lady in reservations said she would put the request onto our booking. She asked me what time our flight landed and as it was early she said she would also request an early check-in for us as we had young children.
On arrival at the hotel both requests were honoured .
Our room was 19E and was perfect. Spotless and spacious.
The beds were very comfortable and the linen was first class.
Only on our last day we discovered the remote controls for the beds!!!!!!!!!
The staff were so helpful especially Kevin and Ralph .
The location of the hotel is wonderful, between 3rd and Lexington on East 50th. There is a Starbucks beside the hotel, and the Subway is next to starbucks. You will hardly need it though as you are in walking distance of everything.
Great Mexican restaurant "Dos Caminos" on 3rd avenue/East 50th crossroads (left out hotel front door - 2 mins). Make sure you try the guacamole - Wow, is it good.
Loved New York. We will be back , and will stay at The Kimberely again, no doubt.

• Liked — Spacious accomodation
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Dexysgirl
Bristol
Reviewed November 5, 2008

Just come back from staying 3 nights at the Kimberley. The hotel is great and spotlessly clean. The location couldn't be better. You are walking distance of The Rockefeller, Empire State Building, Macys, Times Square etc. You are given $10 vouchers for the restaurant next door, but we didn't use these as we we're always somewhere else at mealtimes (so much to see and do). We just had a standard room but this was large and the bed hugh with 3 very big pillows each it was good to get back to after lots of walking. Flat screen TV on the wall, slippers, dressing gowns, coffee making facilities and fridge, everything you need. The staff were very friendly and always willing to help, especially the door staff.
We had a 2 day hop on hop off tour for $49 each. For this you could see upper and lower Manhattan, have entry into museum of New York, visit Brooklyn and have a 75 min river cruise to Statue of Liberty (this only runs in season though, as we found out after walking all the way to the dock). You also get 10% off of Planet Holliwood on Times Square, so I think good value for money! If you want to see the Statue of Liberty go on the Statten Island Ferry, this is free and goes passed the Statue. If you are thinking of going to New York you should definitely go, we can't wait to go again and we will be staying at the Kimberly when we do!

• Liked — large room, hugh bed
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CrazyGoose
Cork, Ireland.
Reviewed November 1, 2008

This is our second time staying at this hotel. We chose to stay there again because we know it's in a safe central location, and the hotel itself is very good all around. All staff are excellent: friendly, courteous, helpful etc, but I have to give a special mention to Kevin and the other door staff, who made us feel very welcome.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is spending time in New York.

• Liked — Friendly staff, central safe location
  • Disliked — Decor a little dated, but absolutely not something work complaining about.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family