“I Love, Love, Love The Kimberly!”
Review of The Kimberly Hotel

The Kimberly Hotel
Ranked #29 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 12, 2013

The Kimberly is one of the most beautiful hotels I have seen. The decor in this lovely boutique hotel is incredibly elegant, and yet the place makes you feel very much at home. The amenities are so thoughtful, including umbrellas in the event of rain!

Sadly, we were staying at The Kimberly to be near Memorial Sloan-Kettering Hospital, so this was a very difficult and tense time for us. We were , therefore, so surprised and grateful to have been upgraded to a gorgeous one-bedroom suite, which really lifted our spirits.

I don't know where to begin singing The Kimberly's praises. As I mentioned, the rooms are beautifully appointed, as is the lobby. Every single staff member that we encountered was absolutely wonderful--kind, cheerful, and helpful. The service , from the front desk to the maids to the doormen was nothing short of excellent. I don't know if I can honestly say this about any other place that I have stayed, but truly every staff member we encountered behaved as though the guest was the most important person in the world.

Our one-bedroom suite was spacious, beautiful, and exceptionally comfortable and convenient, with a microwave, wet bar, refrigerator, toaster, coffee maker, dishwasher, dishes and utensils. The bedroom had two double beds and a large closet with two lovely robes for guest use. The living room had a comfortable sofa bed, a coffee table, a dining table, and a desk. Both the living room and the bedroom had flat screen TVs. The lovely marble bathroom offered nice extras, such as a scale, a hair dryer, and makeup remover pads. The furniture is really pretty, made in Italy.

We did not have time, energy, or desire for fun, due to the reason for our trip, but we did take a peek at Upstairs, the penthouse lounge, and it was gorgeous. There is a fitness room on the second floor, but also guests are allowed to use any New York Health and Racquet Club. I would love to go back one day and have dinner at Noir, their intriguing-looking restaurant housed in a former opera house.

The location is great, with lots of eateries and a subway station nearby, and just far enough away from the crazy Times Square and Rockefeller Center neighborhoods.

If I have one complaint, it is that I found out too late that complimentary coffee, tea, fruit and pastries were being served in the penthouse in the afternoon. I was sorry we missed it, since we really were not in a position to go out and about. But it was my fault for not reading the little sign in the elevator, so I am complaining about myself!

I have already told all my friends about this lovely gem of a hotel, and I highly recommend it for both business and vacation travelers, including families with children.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lu-AnnR

Reviewed October 10, 2013

This hotel was just divine. We were lucky enough to be upgraded. The room and features were great, the space was very good for NYC. The only negative would be midtown manhatten is not my preferred location to stay, but it was only to sleep, and the subway makes it simple to get around. Beautiful hotel. Great breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chevaun
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

It was in reparations and we got a good rate through hotel tonight though we extended our stay. so it was a great value for us.
Super spacious rooms for NYC, they are hughe and nicely classic styilshed. Amenities are great. Room service good thee is actually a table to dine and refrigerator and maybe you can get microwave
It's close to Central Park and many touristic attractions
It turned out better than what I expected as it's more classic than we are used to, I'm not sure we would go back as I like more trendy modern hotels but we had a great time

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Martina E
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I stayed at the Kimberly October 3rd to the 7th with my 3 sisters. The one bedroom executive suite was awesome. Very spacious. The pull out Queen sofa bed was very comfortable as was the King bed. Our refrigerator did not work when we arrived, so Joseph and Dwight from maintenance promptly came to our room and replaced the fridge. They were great. We loved the rooftop bar, the service there was very good and courteous. So what was the problem you ask?? The suite accommodates four guests. Maid service was aware that there were four guests in the suite. However, maid service would only leave us 2 towels every day. So, every day we would have to call down and tell them to send up more towels. It was annoying. On Sunday morning, we called room service and ordered 2 pots of coffee. Room service told us we had packets of coffee in our room and to use those. We told room service we knew about the packets of coffee but prefer the brewed coffee from room service and to please send up 2 pots of coffee and 4 cups. Room service showed up with one pot of coffee and 2 cups and told us to use the coffee packets in the room. Ok, now, tell me if I'm wrong but doesn't a hotel want to encourage room service so they can MAKE MONEY!!! Why would any hotel piss off a customer and refuse room service? On Sunday, we left the hotel for a couple of hours and returned. As we are walking up to the front door, the doorman, a big, tall bald hulk, (who was there when we left) literally blocked our way in and asked if we were guests. We told him that we had been staying here for the past 3 days, he had seen us before and yes we were guests. We left again to go sight seeing. We came back 2 hours later. He did the same thing, blocking our entrance, asking us the same question. I reminded him that he asked us 2 hours ago and we were not going to answer. My sister just pushed past him, shaking her head. He was very rude and tried to be intimidating. There is a lot of noisy construction going on and numerous construction workers were hanging outside of our windows. For the time we were in the room, we had to keep our blinds shut which made the room very dark. When we checked out, we asked the front desk person if we could have a discount due to the noise etc.... She checked with the manager and we did get a small discount. Think about it, if you have that much construction going on and you know your guests wont be able to enjoy their room like they should, wouldn't you at the time of check in explain to the guests the situation and let them know about the discount immediately? We knew there was construction at the Kimberly, but the confirmation said it would be completed by the end of August. Look, the Kimberly has some good features, however, when there is so much competition among hotels, I would think management would want to be a little proactive and go above and beyond to accommodate guests. When I was looking for a hotel, I also looked at the Benjamin, but it was a little more expensive. I now wonder if The Benjamin was the place to stay...

Michele

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

After a full week of business travel and let downs with other hotels The Kimberly was just what the doctor ordered. Great check in experience and gorgeous room at a less rate than I paid for a cruddy Sheraton across town. The ameneties were great! Slippers, robe, stocked wet bar, and the sheets where silky smooth. I need to find those frette sheets! The rooftop bar is fantastic with great views. The room service was the only thing lacking. This place made me feel like a million bucks!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Moonbaby728
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We have stay here before and each time it gets better with all the renovations being done. The staff and service is 5 Star and the location is perfect in mid-town close to every thing we needed.
The work being done can be a bit annoying if you are trying to do some office work in your suite during the day and hopefully it will be completed in the near future.
We definitely will stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at MANY NYC hotels ranging from the Mandarin to the Marriott...I have also lived in Manhattan for 10 years so I know what I am talking about when it comes to NYC. I have NEVER had a better hotel experience anywhere than at the Kimberly Hotel. It is a small European style boutique hotel in probably the best location of Manhattan because of it's quick access to any area of the city. The rooms are GIGANTIC in terms of what you will find in other Manhattan hotels that are even pricier....you get a lot for your money! But...it's really the people/staff that make the hotel so special. The staff is friendly, professional, eager to help, grateful, sweet, and treat every guest as if they were a part of the hotel family. They make you feel safe and because the hotel is so small, they even remember you when you visit multiple times, which gives the hotel a very homey feel. I would like to give special thanks to a few employees that were stellar....Lonny at the front desk, Dzeva and Natasha in housekeeping, Kevin and Jose at the front doors. The only current negative that is a necessary evil for now is the construction being done on the front of the building to reinforce all the room balconies. The work is done on weekdays between 9-5 and is loud and annoying, but they are doing it for the safety of the guests, and once it's over the hotel would have no negatives at all.

• Stayed: October 2013