“Typically expensive, but a comfortable place to sleep”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Kimberly Hotel

The Kimberly Hotel
Ranked #67 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Typically expensive, but a comfortable place to sleep”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2012

The Kimberly is in a fantastic area of NYC, around the corner from the Astoria, a couple of blocks from Grand Central and 5th Avenue. The lobby is tiny and cramped, and as this is the only area for free wifi and it was slow, I barely took advantage of it, opting instead for the super fast, free McDs around the corner!

Checking in was professionally handled and fast, and the room was 4C facing...um...well, another building and some A/C machinery. Having said that, the alternative was a tall office block opposite the front of the building with the addition of street noise and honking taxis, so I settled for this as it gave me a good night's sleep!

The top floor lounge offers a great view, but it's always packed and is quite a small area. But it's very popular and a good spot for a party. Didn't eat at the hotel as nothing was included, but the room was big and clean, with superb beds, Microwave, fridge, minibar, nice bathroom, large wall mounted TV and a gimmicky HP control desk for finding out stuff/hotel info. This was placed in front of the TV and blocked the screen, and it didn't work - what's wrong with a good old fashioned hotel guide book eh?!!!

A good night's sleep. Pricey, but that's NY for you.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank chris036

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Polish first
ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

We stayed in a Deluxe King room and were very impressed with the size of the room and all the amenities. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet in the rooftop bar each morning and a drink each evening as we looked out at a view of the Chrysler Building. The location of the hotel is convenient to restaurants, shops and the subway, and within walking distance to Central Park. The hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating and met all our needs. We have been to NYC a number of times in the past five years and have stayed in many nice hotels, but The Kimberly has taken over as our number one favorite!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Walnut Creek, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2012

We were fortunate to be upgraded to a suite. It was very nice to have a living room and kitchen, although we did not use it much. It appears the hotel had been renovated recently. The bathrooms were exceptionally nice, great shower and good towels (a sure sign of a hotel that cares about their guests).

The hotel staff was warm, friendly and helpful. The subway was one block away. We walked to the theater, Grand Central Station, and several "hot spots" around town.

Roof top bar and restaurant is a five star addition. If you don't feel like going out for breakfast or dinner, you are only an elevator ride away.

Room Tip: Higher floors, less street noise.
Wilbraham, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

After reading a few reviews of brunches in NYC at [--] I decided to book brunch for 10 of us at the Kimberly. The food was out of this world as agreed upon by everyone in the party. The views are breath taken. It is a beautiful place to dine. However, the service was horrid. I have been all over NYC since I was 18 years old. I have eaten everywhere from Gray's Papaya to Daniel. We were seated for about 10 minutes before the waiter came over and told us that there was a problem with the menus. They didn't have enough. We ordered and it was taking an obscene amount of time to get our food.I mentioned this to the 20 year old, foreign manager. He explained that Sunday is is busy time for them. Hmmmm everyone around us, including three parties that arrived after us were eating. Were they in a different time zone? Wasn't it Sunday for them as well. 9 of us finally received our dinners and our tenth was waiting for a grilled chicken salad. I mentioned to the young manager that he should really admit fault and compensate us in some way because this was nonsense. He then lectured me on how meals in Manhattan sometimes take 40 minutes and I shouldn't be upset. At least we could laugh. One of my dining companions has lived in NYC since 1993 and I have more reviews on Zagat than the manager has English words in his vocabulary. I would bring people back to the restaurant for the views and food but the Kimberly needs to educate this guy in people skills 101. We were on our way to see The Book of Morman after brunch and I think Elder Cunningham would have been a more insightful manager.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank SueP413
kimmie145, General Manager at The Kimberly Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are very disappointed to learn that you did not enjoy your brunch Upstairs at The Kimberly. We truly apologize for the delayed service and lack of menus during your experience.

Please know this is not something that happens often, as it is our priority to leave a positive impression on our customers. We do hope we can welcome you back for brunch so we can treat you in the manner that is consistent with our Kimberly service. Please be sure to contact me directly so I can be sure your next experience at The Kimberly is a positive one.

Mujo Perezic
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

I stumbled upon The Kimberly while online researching things to do with teenage girls. Two moms with their teenage girls wanted to stay in the heart of the city, feel safe, have space, shop and dine and take in a show. We reserved a beautiful 2 bedroom suite complete with 2 good size bathrooms, and a separate living room (with a queen sleeper), for the same price that we were going to book a different hotel with just a king bed and pull out sleeper and 1 bathroom. Our room was VERY spacious, the linens top shelf and the staff couldn't have been more accommodating and kind (not just the appropriate "nice"). The rooftop lounge is a must fit in to your trip, just a beautiful feel of the cities twinkling night lights. We could not get over how inexpensive room service was! We will definitely return.....maybe next time with the hubbies!

Room Tip: Choose the 2 bedroom suite, if you can use the space. Its a great value for the price...we paid $549...
3 Thank OhioHappytrails
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

I stayed at the Kimberly Hotel for business and was very impressed with the rooms and level of service from the staff. I stay at hotels often so I would consider myself a bit of a hotel snob however The Kimberly Hotel exceed all of my expectations. When I checked in, they did not have any rooms ready, however the Front Office Manager Charles took great care of me storing my bags while I headed to my meetings. When I checked into my room later I was so surprised by the size of the rooms, WOW! This hotel is the epitome of what a boutique hotel should be; monogramed towels, wonderful shower heads, plush bedding, robs and slippers and the list goes on! I typically stay at the W hotel when visiting NYC however from now on the Kimberly Hotel will get all of my business!!!

Room Tip: Room 16A is great!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Neptune, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012

We stayed in a once bedroom suite (4 people) this past weekend for our annual "Girl's Weekend" trip. The cost was really economical for what we booked. Check in was a breeze and the valet parking is such a great deal @ $30 per 24 hours. The staff was very friendly and helpful at all times. Our room was on the 21st floor with a view of rooftops and below us was an alley - which actually made the room more quiet being away from the street noise. The room itself was a fantastic size with a large living room with a pull out couch and kitchenette. The bedroom was also a good size with 2 full beds. We had one bathroom which was a standard size and worked out well. Overall the room was very clean and had plenty of closets. The only suggestion I have is for an exhaust fan in the bathroom because 4 people taking showers in a row makes it very steamy. The shower heads and water pressure are great! I can't wait to stay here again!!

Room Tip: The one bedroom suite was a great size for 4 people.