Excelsior Hotel
Hotel Belleclaire(New York City)(Great Value!)
$188
$161
$274
$247
  • Room Service
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$153
$134
  • Room Service
Hotel Edison Times Square(New York City)
$172
$118
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness center
Park Central Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$178
$145
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness center
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$167
$98
$241
$117
  • Room Service
Millennium Broadway New York Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
$352
$215
Official Site
  • Room Service
Blue Moon Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$229
$100
  • Breakfast included
The Westin New York Grand Central(New York City)(Great Value!)
$324
$305
Westin.com
2,188 results
All reviewsthe natural history museumupper west sidecentral parkcalle ochocolumbus avenuegreat locationnew yorksubway stationsitting roomupgraded to a suitearound the cornerbreakfast roomtwo double bedslincoln centercoffee makertimes squarebagels
Reviewed May 2, 2005

As a former New Yorker, I cant say I expected much when I got a "cheapie"rate at the Excelsior hotel. The hotel is charming. It is in a great, QUIET location near fabulous restaurants. The rooms are not huge, but VERY clean, and well maintained. It is true, the water pressure is not so great, but at least it is hot! (unlike my other hotel before this) the staff is very helpful, and I even took a bath in the tub, it was so clean! I will certainly stay there when I return to the city.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 17, 2005

I have stayed at the Excelsior a couple of times and whilst I recognise "weaknesses" highlighted by other reviews I have to say I think this hotel remains value for money and one to which I'd always consider returning to.
Having stayed mid-town a quite a few times I much prefer the Upper West Side for relaxing in after a long days sightseeing and museum visiting. The restaurants, bakeries and delis are more "local" than mid town and the pace alittle more relaxing and less pressured than the key tourist areas.
I can see that the reception staff could be described as abrupt but other than checking in and out I've been fortunate not to have reason to have further contact. Housekeeping was efficient and polite.
Rooms are spacious compared with my experience midtown and pleasant enough to relax in at the end of a long day. Starbucks across the way good for coffee/breakfast.
Subway very close as is Central Park- for that stroll across to the Metropolitan Museum of Art.
If arriving late email them with time expecting to be in.......we found ourselves being shipped off to hotel in New Jersey due to our room being given away (arrived 1am from UK) during a previous visit! (Made up to us with fabulous upgrade!)

• Stayed: February 2005
8  Thank LouMG
Reviewed April 16, 2005

We stayed at the Excelsior for two nights, 11th and 12th April. We booked last minute through expedia and had no idea what to expect. First impressions were good. We thought it was exceptionally clean and were ready to give it a five star rating. There were some nice touches and overall the value for money was good. However, although I found it pleasantly warm to begin with, we almost cooked overnight, and we were unable to turn the heating off. We had all windows and even the door open just to enable us to breathe. This of course let all the noise from the street in. Needless to say, we had little sleep which was a shame as it totally wrecked one of our two days in New York. I think I had a better sleep in the plane on the 20 hour flight back to Australia. I found the night staff unfriendly and not at all apologetic. Some kind of compensation would have been appreciated. The day staff were much more pleasant. On the second night we were given another room on the 15th floor. It was nowhere near as nice as the first room but at least we slept and it was noticeably quieter than the 7th floor. I think the hotel could be great with a better heating/cooling system (I see others have suffered the same fate) and some improvement in customer relations from the night staff. The position is good. Funnily enough we were watching an episode of Seinfeld while were there and when asked his address during a lie detector test he said 129 West 81st Street, just down the road!

• Stayed: April 2005
6  Thank HeatherTea
Sheffield, UK
Reviewed March 30, 2005

We stayed at the Excelsior for 6 days in March 2005. The price was exceptional.

The staff, to the contary of rumours, were best staff we had ever met in New York. Helpful, pleasant and humourous. Very clean. But no hotel bar despite having a floor devoted to "entertainment".

The location is not the best for a first-time visitor interested in the usual attractions but the Upper West Side is excellent for families.

Columbus Bakery is highly recommended (6 blocks north on Columbus); R&T excellent for $2 pizza and Dive75 on 75th is a good escape from the many local Irish bars.

• Stayed: March 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reviewed March 29, 2005

My husband and i stayed here from March 16-26/05 and were truly impressed. I travel for work all the time and this is one of the nicer hotels I've stayed in. I was a little worried about some of the reviews and because of the age of the hotel, but my worries were completely unfounded. The room was bright and clean and well laid out, the bathroom was beautiful and spotless, maid service was fabulous the bed was comfortable and clean. We would stay here again without a doubt. If you want to be away from the touristy areas and see how real New Yorkers live, this hotel is in the perfect local. Try one of the local bakeries for breakfast rather than the hotel, and the concierge try's but doesn't have a ton of info. If you are an independant traveler that doesn't need to rely on the hotel staff to do everything for you, this hotel is great!

• Stayed: April 2005