“In NY like a New Yorker!”
Review of Excelsior Hotel

Excelsior Hotel
Ranked #252 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Sao Paulo
“In NY like a New Yorker!”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I spent 15 days in NY, 12 days in Excelsior Hotel with two of my best friends since childhood, but because they didn't have a room for two available for the last 3 days, we have to move to another hotel (The Milford close to Times Square).
The Hotel looked as a typical 1930's movie hotel: amazing! The staff is very polite and efficient, the room was super clean, quiet and full of light and it has a wonderful view of the Central Park!
The neighborhood has everything and charm! Little Cafes, markets, shops and the chatter of locals...nice!!! My BEST experience in NY EVER!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank VeraLucy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
  • Greek first
Lexington, MA
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We enjoyed our 3rd stay at Excelsior last weekend. We had a nice view over the Museum of Natural History. it was a little noisy, but when offered, I chose the view over a quieter room. The room was clean and cozy, and the front desk staff was friendly. The hallways were very hot, but it was a warm spell in the middle of winter and that often happens in old buildings. We opened a window in the room for cooler night air. My main quibble is the expensive Internet service. Wireless service ought to just be available. I always choose Excelsior because it has affordable prices for a comfortable clean room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

My family and I were supposed to stay 4 days last July, we left after 1 day ! The room was very dirty, the service was unacceptably awful : the personnel was unhappy and sometimes rude...The Internet access was very bad and expensive. One other bad example, they charge USD 10 to have a fridge in the room.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Xavier d
New York
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for my annual new year trip to the city. Myself and my mom had a suite on the 15th floor with a view of the musuem from the living area. The view in the bedroom was of other peoples room windows which was slightly disapointing as I love to look at city lights as I fall asleep but it was no big deal. The room was large and very clean. The front desk staffer was very friendly and kind. Main issue however is the hotels heating system. Here is a list of pro's and con's:

Pro's:

1)Great location. Upper westside is a wonderful area of NYC. I have stay all over NYC and this felt the most homely. It is also right by Central Park (strawberry fields) and the Museum of Natural History.
2) As I said the rooms are clean and the staff is friendly.
3) Bathrobes in room, plenty of towels and comfy bed and sheets.
4) Breakfast buffet in the library is a nice touch ( will be on con list too)
5)Overall very pretty old styled hotel.

Con's
1) The windows really need a good scrubbing.
2) No coffee maker in room. I think atleast suites should have one. Its a shame for such a nice hotel to not have something as basic as a coffee maker and I dont even drink coffee!
3) The breakfast- now while its a nice touch for sure and the library is beautiful its not worth the 17 dollars per person at all(we got free tickets for it as part of room package). The oj and muffins were good but the eggs were watery, the bacon subpar and the hashbrowns were just tatertots (they were good though).

4)Also this is a big one that I mentioned before. The heating system!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is something wong with the hotels heating. I noticed our room was very hot when we came in so we had to turn on the air conditioner as there seemed to be no way to turn down the heat. Air conditioning in Jan when its freezing outside is rather odd but we needed it. Then however it got too cold so we would turn it off. Only for it to get too hot so we would turn it back on. Eventually we managed to even things out. The pipes are loud from heat and the AC is very very loud. I was laying in the living room and of course it got hot so I tried to turn AC on but it was so loud I couldnt hear the TV so i just stayed warm. Also we noticed in the morning the hotel halls were overly warm. This seems to be a recurrent issue here I wish management would look into. I notice unlike other hotels they do not seem to respond to reviews here so who knows if anyone even cares about this issue.

Now would I stay again? Yes I would. Besides the heating issue it truly was a lovely stay. I would recomend this hotel.

Room Tip: I would ask for the museum view its really pretty at night. For a nice place to get food to bring b...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Poughkeepsie, New York
Reviewed January 9, 2013

On a recent trip to see the Andy Warhol exhibit at the Met, we chose to stay at the Excelsior for its proximity to the museum. Because I used frequent flyer miles as payment, my expectations for hotel quality were fairly low. We were happy to have found ANY hotel in New York at Christmastime.....especially since we only made the reservation 2 days in advance. We soon discovered what a gem this lovely boutique hotel is!
Lobby is classic deco and location is great.....bordering Central Park, across the street from the Natural History Museum and a fabulous farmers market that sells live Christmas trees and stays open in the winter, a 10-min walk to the Met, a 5-min walk to Zabar's, a major subway stop at the end of the block, and no shortage of taxis and great restaurants all over the neighborhood. There is also a wonderful Latin fusion restaurant, Calle Ocho, in the hotel. It has a very active happy hour and nightlife, great food and cocktails, but if you want to have dinner, be sure to make a reservation......Calle Ocho stays busy!
The standard (cheapest) rooms here are completely updated, very clean, and HUGE! 2 flat-screens and a separate sitting room with a pull-out couch, desk, and closet, but there is also a smaller sitting area in the bedroom. Pillowtop beds were very comfy and had good linens, and the bathroom had nice amenities, plenty of plush towels, a large tub, and a "rainwater" showerhead.
Our only complaint was a broken thermostat, so we could not turn down the heat. However, we had 4 windows (2 in the bedroom, 1 in sitting room and bathroom), so we just opened them to control the temp. We slept like babies, even with the windows ajar.....maybe being on the 10th floor drowned out some of the noise, but this does not seem like a particularly noisy area of town. The front desk was very understanding and polite and sent the engineer up twice to fix the thermostat. Since they never did fix it, I was expecting them to offer us free breakfast or cocktails, but sadly, they didn't......we even spoke to the manager directly.
The other suggestion I would have is to put coffee makers in each room. We hated to have to trudge downstairs to get coffee since we weren't in a hurry to leave the first morning. After all, our museum was just on the other side of Central Park from us!
I would be curious to know what the "regular" price of our room would have been, but with the high cost of hotels in NYC, the Excelsior is likely a bargain.....at any price. We will definitely be back.....and hope for a room with working heat next time around.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and a corner room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank beberebozo
London
Reviewed January 9, 2013

If you just want a base to crash out in then this hotel is fine. We had a one bed suite with a (very uncomfortable) sofa bed for the kids in the sitting room, which worked well for us. As others have mentioned, the room was very warm and the pipes made a banging sound every morning. Fortunately we were coming from London so waking up early enough for this not to be too much of a problem, but if you're coming from the other direction you might want to think twice. The bathroom was teeny tiny. It had just been refurbished, albeit not in the most up to date way (flower print tiles etc). There wasn't a huge amount of cupboard space but as we were only there for four nights it didn't matter too much. The front desk staff were fine with us although my husband encountered a bit of attitude from a not terribly helpful concierge, and when I asked a different concierge a question on a different day it looked like I was interrupting his computer game.

If you can live with all this, the location is lovely. We love the Upper West Side as we used to live there, and this location is handy for the nicest part of the park, not too far from the subway and near to lots of lovely neighbourhood restaurants. We usually stay at the Trump in Columbus Circle and I have to say I missed it as it's so comfortable and the staff so friendly, but it was too pricey this year. If you're not looking for anything special but just need good value and a base in a great area, then the Excelsior will do you fine. And the divine Sugar and Plum is a short walk away on Amsterdam - great for a slap-up breakfast!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank rosiefromlondon
Island of Malta, Malta
Reviewed January 7, 2013

The location of the hotel is spot on for many amenities within walking distance or for the metro. We were however disappointed with the attitude of two of the boys at the front desk, the very noisy ventilation system, lack of coffee in the room and size of the room. The cherry on the cake was being disturbed by the cleaning staff despite having 'do not disturb' written all over the door- this without knocking. They should also have kept their voices down during the whole morning cleaning ritual!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple