“Stylish rooms, good rate, best location in NYC for families”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Excelsior Hotel

Excelsior Hotel
Ranked #250 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Baltimore, Maryland
“Stylish rooms, good rate, best location in NYC for families”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

The Excelsior has the best deal going for a beautifully restored hotel room on the Upper West Side. We stayed three nights with our two children, ages 5 and 9, in a regular room with two queen-size beds, and while I wouldn't describe it as exceptionally spacious, there was enough room, including closet and dresser space, for all our clothes and toys (we don't travel light).

The hotel is less than a block from the subway, Central Park, and the Museum of Natural History, with restaurants and boutiques all around. We parked on 81st St. directly across from the hotel (free!), but the next morning we'd have to move the car for street cleaning. I asked the doorman for advice, and he offered to call our room if a spot opened up across the street. Five minutes later we got the call and moved our car, right outside the hotel now, where we could have left it for the entire weekend if we'd wanted. When we called down for a fridge, it arrived in 5 minutes or less.

There are still a few (minor) bugs in the system - no coffee maker in the room, the fridge cost $10/night, and there was no soap dish, so the soap kept sliding into the sink, which was annoying. The very stylish towel hook ended in a ball, so the bath towel kept sliding on to the floor. The exercise room has a couple of good ellipticals, bikes, etc., but you need to bring your own earphones if you want to hear the TV. But overall it was a lovely place to stay, and now that our favorite B&B is going out of business, we may make the Excelsior our new go-to accommodation in Manhattan.

Room Tip: We had a nice view to the north from our room on the 16th floor, but I imagine that a southern expos...
2 Thank FreeRadical64

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Greek first
Olive Branch, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed with my wife and 6 and 8 y/o children. Nicely restored hotel retaining its original charm. They took great attention to detail in the restorations. Excellent, quiet location close to Central Park, Museum of Natural History, The MET, 5th ave shopping, quaint restaurants, awesome view from room, etc. We were upgraded to a suite without even asking. Also got very good service from Bellman and front desk staff. Very reasonably priced. Will definitely stay again and recommend to others.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Natural History Museum. Higher rooms have better views.
minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

This is a small quiet upper east side hotel . It is close to a subway stop, and with in 2 blocks of several great resturants . The staff , including the desk people were very friendly . The room is quite large for NY style .The bath room/shower is VERY large .

Room Tip: the staff suggested a room to the back of the building for a quiet sleep
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MinnesotaByron
Memphis,TN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

first of all, let me say that First impressions are Lasting ones!
I booked my stay at the Excelsior through Hotwire and while I realized that I would only be guaranteed the number of beds required for the party, I was not aware that I prepaid for the smallest, twin room size. I asked about the room size and was told that that was the arrangement th hotel had with Hotwire. The hotel was not at ll to capacity. The overall attitude and unpleasantness of the front desk staff did not stop there. Each time I had an inquiry or issue, I was met with no smiles, and an overall sense of coldness. Once at night, I asked the front rest man on duty for a decent restraunts to use for delivery, it was about 9 pm. Th concierge was not there. He told m to ck back tomorrow and the concierge would help me.
On a good note, the housekeeping staff and the bellman were all very very nice. The room was so clean and we did have a nice view!
I loved this location. This was my 5 th trip to NYC and first time to stay in the Upper West.
My daughter and I felt so safe and loved walking the neighborhoods and bfast at Zabars!!!!!

Room Tip: Higher floors... Inquire about size prior to booking
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

We just stayed at the Excelsior NYC over Thanksgiving holidays this year and enjoyed our stay. You cannot beat the location, it is right next door to the Natural History Museum and a short walk to Central Park. The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade was literally at our door step, the baloons are inflated the night before and are lined up on the street right in front of the hotel. We had a museum view room #704 and had Buzz Lightyear baloon right outside our window! The room was very comfortable and spacious enough by NYC standards. Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a upper west side neighborhood feel, it was a wonderful stay. Would definitely return to this hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a museum view room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Coral Springs, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

I love this hotel except for the price. I did get a break for triple a and I think it was 10 percent. Still had a great room with a wonderful view of the museum, The weather was fantastic and it is so close to my cousins small apartment, i won't stay anywhere else. Subway stairs are up the street not far. Central park is a block away. Did not like to have to pay for WIFI though, so I didn't.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank leslie l
Athens, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

My stay in this charming hotel enhanced my New York experience. Its old-world elegance and strategic location near major museums, fine shops and restaurants in the Upper West side are a plus. If it provided free internet and free coffee in the room, then it would be almost perfect.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business