“Another good upper west side hotel”
Review of Excelsior Hotel

Excelsior Hotel
Ranked #248 of 467 Hotels in New York City
San Francisco, California
“Another good upper west side hotel”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

When I stay in NY for work, I like to stay up near Central Park and away from the tourists. You can't get much closer to the park than this. This is a great hotel in a great location. Yes, it's a bit old - it's not going to be like the super hip hotels on the southern end of Manhattan - but it's a much more relaxing experience. The hotel is right near a subway stop, right near Central Park, close to a bunch of museums, and close to a bunch of restaurants (and a Starbucks). Everyone seemed pretty nice, although I got a bit of attitude from the concierge - and I saw him giving it to someone else - so beware.

Pros:
- Great location
- Near a great subway line
- Decent sized bathrooms and bedrooms
- Good gym
- Pretty good restaurant right in the hotel (keep an eye out for free drink offers on yelp/foursquare)

Cons:
- Elevators are incredibly slow - try the stairs
- Rooms are a bit older - nothing bad, but still
- Decent amount of noise makes its way through the walls - I brought earplugs so I was fine, but I would have been a bit bothered without them
- The concierge - not a fan of being belittled by someone who is supposed to be helping me

I'd definitely recommend staying here - look out for good rates on their site. And if they're sold out, try the Lucerne, that's another good one a few blocks away. And eat at Recipe..it's delish!

Room Tip: Try to avoid hotels near the stairs - there seems to be a lack of door springs so you get a lot of s...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank sarahktsl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
  • Greek first
the USA
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We've stayed at this hotel many times over the years and really appreciate its convenient location and good value, despite the fact that it was a bit dated and worn. We were very encouraged to learn that the hotel had recently undergone an extensive renovation, and this was our first time back in the "new" environs. The updated decor is very smart and attractive, however, our mattress did not reflect the renovation as it was extremely saggy in the middle, provided little-to-no support and did not make for a good night's sleep. We had hoped that the increase in rates would be reflected by an overall increase in quality, and would like to suggest that the owners invest in higher quality mattresses.

Otherwise, we do appreciate the friendly and helpful staff and the convenient location!

• Stayed October 2012
Fripp Island SC
Reviewed October 17, 2012

The Excelsior Hotel was really awesome. We were in NYC for a concert in Central Park so the location was perfect. The surrounding neighborhood is so nice. The hotel staff was very good. The suite was great.

We booked the flight, hotel and airport shuttle service through Travelocity. Never again! The flight on Delta was good, no problems there, but when we got on the shuttle to the hotel things went downhill. The shuttle had four different stops in Manhattan from LaGuardia Airport. The shuttle driver said he got the wrong directions from his dispatcher causing the driver to backtract twice. One of the passengers was so pissed that he got out and got a cab. It took us 2 1/2 hours to get to our hotel. When we booked the hotel we requested a queen room. When we arrived at the hotel we were given a room with two twin beds. The hotel did not have any other rooms available. I called Travelocity to ask why we got the wrong rooms, they said I checked "secret room". I didn't. We ended up having to upgrade to a suite the next night because that was the only room available. It cost us an extra $500. When we called to schedule the shuttle back to the airport for a 1pm flight they said we had to be picked up at 8am! 5 hours before our flight! We decided to take a cab for $30 and it took 40 mins to get to the airport. When we contacted Travelocity about our disappointments with their service, they basically said too bad! Nice uh?
Never will we use Travelocity again, and neither should anyone else!
Very disappointed

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I only had one night at the Excelsior but would have been happy to stay longer. There are a lot of positives, some of which are:
1. Location - on central park west this is a lovely spot to stay with the natural science museum an central park across the road. Good bars and restuarants nearby and the subway at the end of the street.
2. Rooms - I was fortunate to be upgraded to a suite which was nice and, for New York, spacious. What I did like was that the room was very clean and the shower was hot and strong.
3. Rates - I booked this from Australia on Wotif and got a great deal for New York .

The only negative I had was that the night attendant (I arrived at 11.30pm) who was unhelpful and disinterested in me as a guest. I asked if they had a phone charger or an adaptor so I could charge my phone and he made no effort to help. They may not have these available but I go the impression he codnt be bothered. Overall though, this is a good place to stay in NY.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Madbenjoel
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for the first part of our America holiday. The hotel is a lovely refurbished hotel. Our room was small ( by american standards) with a 'normal sized' double bed and no coffee / tea making facilities or refirgerator in the room. We managed to get round this by either buying a starbucks and bringing it back or first thing in the morning going to the restaurant where breakfast was served and buying tea at $2 per cup which was fine.
Shower and bathroom facilities were good, hot water plentiful. the room was clean and bed comfortable - very quiet too however our room was to the rear of the hotel and I do not know if the same could be said for the front facing rooms as the hotel is on a busy main road.
There are restaurants close by and the subway is only about 200yds away.
Breakfast is served in a lovely 'lounge type' room and standard is good with lots of choice from a buffet.
All in all I would probably not choose to stay here again - for the cost I would probably choose somewhere closer to the centre.

Room Tip: If you like quiet then request room to rear - also take travel kettle if you like tea!!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Calgary
Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

This was a great experience overall. Upon arrival my boyfriend and I were upgraded to a king suite because our travel agent booked a twin room for us.
The rep at the desk was very friendly and helpful. The location near Central Park and the museum of natural history is amazing! Also this hotel is close to Amsterdam ave which has a ton of restaurants and pubs.
The room was a decent size and very clean- although slight updating is required.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone, and I would stay here again!

• Stayed September 2012
South Wales, UK
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This hotel is a perfect little place. . The lady on reception Candice is a gem-always had a smile and nothing was too much trouble for her. There was a mix up with our booking but she sorted it (even having to ring the UK) and then upgraded us to a Suite. The room overlooked the Natural History Museum from the lounge and the bedrooms had 2 double beds. We were lucky having a suite as the bedroom was at the back so didn't have the noise of the road outside.

The hotel was close to lots of eateries and was located very close to Columbus Avenue and a short walk from the Metro system to Downtown. Even if you walked to downtown it would only have been an easy walk of about half an hour.
Overall this was a perfect spot for my trip and would definitely recommend it

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family