When I stay in NY for work, I like to stay up near Central Park and away from the tourists. You can't get much closer to the park than this. This is a great hotel in a great location. Yes, it's a bit old - it's not going to be like the super hip hotels on the southern end of Manhattan - but it's a much more relaxing experience. The hotel is right near a subway stop, right near Central Park, close to a bunch of museums, and close to a bunch of restaurants (and a Starbucks). Everyone seemed pretty nice, although I got a bit of attitude from the concierge - and I saw him giving it to someone else - so beware.
- Great location
- Near a great subway line
- Decent sized bathrooms and bedrooms
- Good gym
- Pretty good restaurant right in the hotel (keep an eye out for free drink offers on yelp/foursquare)
- Elevators are incredibly slow - try the stairs
- Rooms are a bit older - nothing bad, but still
- Decent amount of noise makes its way through the walls - I brought earplugs so I was fine, but I would have been a bit bothered without them
- The concierge - not a fan of being belittled by someone who is supposed to be helping me
I'd definitely recommend staying here - look out for good rates on their site. And if they're sold out, try the Lucerne, that's another good one a few blocks away. And eat at Recipe..it's delish!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Excelsior Upper West Side NYC Hotel Located in the fashionable Upper West Side neighborhood between Central Park and Columbus Avenue, the Excelsior Hotel is a beautifully renovated hotel with an abundance of old world charm and comfort. This landmark hotel is characteristic of Manhattan's architectural beauty among the dramatic Central Park setting; thoroughly complimented by modern conveniences and luxuries. The Excelsior Hotel is located in one of New York City's trendiest neighborhoods, overlooking the American Museum of Natural History and the Rose Center for Earth and Space. Popular attractions such as Lincoln Center, the Beacon Theatre, and Columbia University are within walking distance to the Excelsior. A leisurely stroll across Central Park to the Upper East Side leads to the luxurious boutiques of Madison Avenue, an endless selection of restaurants, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Guggenheim and Whitney Museums. If your plans include an evening at the theatre or site seeing among the hustle and bustle of Manhattan, famous attractions such as Times Square, the Empire State Building, and Rockefeller Center are a quick ride from the Excelsior Hotel by New York Taxi, Subway, or bus. Manhattan's Excelsior Hotel features an elegantly and comfortably appointed Lobby; inviting guests to feel at home upon their arrival. Its New York City hotel room accommodations are inspired with an Art Deco contemporary motif with countless amenities and services to make a stay at the Excelsior Hotel an experience for guests desiring more than a typical New York "tourist" hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, Priceline, Cancelon, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Excelsior Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Excelsior New York City
- Excelsior Hotel New York City