“Wolcott a so-so hotel”
Review of Wolcott Hotel

Wolcott Hotel
Ranked #242 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed April 1, 2005

Writing a late review 'cause I just got around to signing up to this website.

Stayed at the Wolcott last year in June for seven days.

The Good:
- The location was good, near times square and the Empire State Bdg.
- Staff was okay (But I wouldn't say friendly)
- Price was good for it's location
- Rooms were fairly clean, saw no rodents, pests, or any other undesirable
things.
- Decent TV (Not like I spent much time watching it, too many things to
do in NYC to waste any time with that)

The Bad:
- Water pressure/temperature in shower was variable hot/cold
- Strange looking liquid gurgled from the drain and coated the bottom of
the tub, but happened infrequently.
- Rooms are quite small (The bed took up most of the room)
- Elevators are very, very SLOW (and like a hotbox in the summer)

All in all, I wouldn't say it's a bad place to stay, but I wouldn't give it more than a 3-Star rating. Next time around I think I will lay down a little more cash, do more research, and maybe get something a little better.

• Stayed: June 2004
2  Thank HighPlainzDrifter
There are newer reviews for Wolcott Hotel

Reviewed March 23, 2005

After a 9hr fromLas Vegas I was looking forward to arriving at the 'city that never sleeps' and the Hotel Wolcott that had promised a lot of things.
After reading the reviews on this site, I was a bit unsure to what to expect.
Well what I recieved was a shock
On arrival at the Wolcott we were greeting by the most unhelp staff that I have ever meet. First of all they couldn't find our booking and when they did it was a twin room not a double. I had specified a double in my booking but as it was explained to me was basically 'like it or lump it'
The lobby is stunning but as you go up in the tired and tiny lift you begin to find the hotel's true colours. The halls stunk and were nothing better than what you would find in a YMCA. The room was awful and the door would have blown over in one breath and it was paper thin. The only good then was that the bathroom was clean.
That night we went to the concierge to ask for some help and we were again greeted with 'I am shut, lady' I never even bothered to answer
Nothing about this hotel was good honestly I have never experienced anything like this and I have been in bad this was just awful
Avoid!!!

• Stayed: February 2005
5  Thank trixi22
Reviewed March 7, 2005

My aunt and I stayed near Times Square two years ago but unfortunately, that hotel was fully booked last June.
Of to Wolcott it was. Well, we'll do it again.
Some parts of this hotel reminded us of the Louvre!
It's incredible, this hotel is one of the few budget hotels that have breakfast included and are also used to European habits.
Travelling with my aunt is sometimes more difficult than travelling with a friend, since we'd like to share our room, but not our bed of course.
Well, let's face it, after a long day of sightseeing, one would prefer to have his own bed. And that's what Wolcott is prepaired to offer.
Yes it is old, yes the carpet has got some stains. But the sheets are clean and so is the bathroom.
And, New York's common citizens, roaches, were nowhere to be seen.

• Stayed: June 2004, traveled on business
7  Thank sylvia58
Reviewed February 12, 2005

I stayed in hotel wolcott from 7th until 12th February 2005 and this was my best trip ever. The lobby is authentic, i loved it. Our room was very big, with a special room to hang up your clothes and with a safe in it. We had three windows in the room, a big tv and a very clean and comfortable bed. The service was excellent (our toilet floated once and a handy man solved it within 5 minuted and dried our floor) and the muffins + coffee & tea in the morning tasted really good. I read on this site the the elevators were slow, but they weren't during my stay. Location: great! A 3 minute walk to the Empire State Building and Macy's, Times Square is also not far away and there are many shops, supermarkets and internetcafés within 5 min. walking. A subwaystation with 2 connecting lines is just around the corner. I don't think that I could have a better hotel for this prize, everything turned out really good, and above my expectations. The lobby was by the way very crowded many days because English and Irish schools were in the hotel with their classes, but they didn't cause any trouble. Neither did the Japanese tourists. I truly recommend this hotel to anybody staying in New York.

• Stayed: February 2005
21  Thank Waezk
Reviewed January 20, 2005

Went to NYC for Birthday.
The hotel is in a great location....and the free muffins and coffee was much appreciated!
But apart from that, it was pretty poor.
I agree with other reviewers, the reception desk service was poor.
Our room was big, but cold, which in January is a problem! The bathroom was tiny, and impractical.
I went with a group of 5 and none of us liked it, and would never stay there again.

6  Thank guba-7
Reviewed January 18, 2005

Stayed here in June 2004 for four nights and I have to be honest in saying it wasn't too bad. Yes the lifts are slow, and I do think that the reception Staff could be a little friendlier but on the whole and for the price it was a pretty good Hotel! The Location is superb and the room was clean and tidy. I certain would stay at this Hotel again, you could do a lot worse!!

6  Thank PAMK
Reviewed January 17, 2005

Just stayed at the Wolcott from 1/14/05-1/17/05 and was not happy. The first room we were offered had no glass on part of the window. This window had cardboard taped over the opening! We quickly got another room which smelled of smoke.
If you plan on staying here because it is inexpensive and a great location be prepared to change rooms. Also the bath tub was not cleaned and had hair from a previous guest in it. Furthermore, the twin beds were rather stiff to sleep on.
The hotel was recomended by a friend and I was very disapointed.

• Stayed: January 2005