“Great!”
Review of Wolcott Hotel

Wolcott Hotel
Ranked #245 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 7, 2005

My aunt and I stayed near Times Square two years ago but unfortunately, that hotel was fully booked last June.
Of to Wolcott it was. Well, we'll do it again.
Some parts of this hotel reminded us of the Louvre!
It's incredible, this hotel is one of the few budget hotels that have breakfast included and are also used to European habits.
Travelling with my aunt is sometimes more difficult than travelling with a friend, since we'd like to share our room, but not our bed of course.
Well, let's face it, after a long day of sightseeing, one would prefer to have his own bed. And that's what Wolcott is prepaired to offer.
Yes it is old, yes the carpet has got some stains. But the sheets are clean and so is the bathroom.
And, New York's common citizens, roaches, were nowhere to be seen.

• Stayed: June 2004, traveled on business
7  Thank sylvia58

Reviewed February 12, 2005

I stayed in hotel wolcott from 7th until 12th February 2005 and this was my best trip ever. The lobby is authentic, i loved it. Our room was very big, with a special room to hang up your clothes and with a safe in it. We had three windows in the room, a big tv and a very clean and comfortable bed. The service was excellent (our toilet floated once and a handy man solved it within 5 minuted and dried our floor) and the muffins + coffee & tea in the morning tasted really good. I read on this site the the elevators were slow, but they weren't during my stay. Location: great! A 3 minute walk to the Empire State Building and Macy's, Times Square is also not far away and there are many shops, supermarkets and internetcafés within 5 min. walking. A subwaystation with 2 connecting lines is just around the corner. I don't think that I could have a better hotel for this prize, everything turned out really good, and above my expectations. The lobby was by the way very crowded many days because English and Irish schools were in the hotel with their classes, but they didn't cause any trouble. Neither did the Japanese tourists. I truly recommend this hotel to anybody staying in New York.

• Stayed: February 2005
21  Thank Waezk
Reviewed January 20, 2005

Went to NYC for Birthday.
The hotel is in a great location....and the free muffins and coffee was much appreciated!
But apart from that, it was pretty poor.
I agree with other reviewers, the reception desk service was poor.
Our room was big, but cold, which in January is a problem! The bathroom was tiny, and impractical.
I went with a group of 5 and none of us liked it, and would never stay there again.

6  Thank guba-7
Reviewed January 18, 2005

Stayed here in June 2004 for four nights and I have to be honest in saying it wasn't too bad. Yes the lifts are slow, and I do think that the reception Staff could be a little friendlier but on the whole and for the price it was a pretty good Hotel! The Location is superb and the room was clean and tidy. I certain would stay at this Hotel again, you could do a lot worse!!

6  Thank PAMK
Reviewed January 17, 2005

Just stayed at the Wolcott from 1/14/05-1/17/05 and was not happy. The first room we were offered had no glass on part of the window. This window had cardboard taped over the opening! We quickly got another room which smelled of smoke.
If you plan on staying here because it is inexpensive and a great location be prepared to change rooms. Also the bath tub was not cleaned and had hair from a previous guest in it. Furthermore, the twin beds were rather stiff to sleep on.
The hotel was recomended by a friend and I was very disapointed.

• Stayed: January 2005
3  Thank msafavid
A TripAdvisor Member
Sweden
Reviewed January 13, 2005

We stayed at Wolcott for two nights in november 2004 and found the hotel old but clean, not superclean but OK. It´s simple, yes, but if you want to save money and have a great location when staying in New York, Wolcott is just fine. For europeans the hotel might be simple and not like a 2 star hotel overseas but remember this is New York!
Empire state building is 2 min. walk away and Times square 10 min. away, great location!
Staff was friendly, elevators slow ( but who cares! ), nice with free muffins and coffee/tea in the morning.
I am a travelagent in Sweden so I saw a few more budgethotels while in NY and Wolcott was one of the better once.
So, If you don´t expect a first class or even middle class hotel, this hotel is just fine for a few nights.

• Stayed: November 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Southern California
Reviewed January 3, 2005

We visited during the New Year holiday -- had an excellent time! great location... clean accommodations, the service was great... nice coffee & muffins in the morning... I was apprehensive after reading prior reviews of the cleanliness, but it was very clean. The location was excellent for walking and close to subways.
It was not the Trump Towers, but I saved alot of money!!! You cannot expect a 100 yr old hotel to have all the ammenities of a new hotel -- slow elevators and water temperature changes give the hotel lots of character!! Worth your money...

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member