“Freezing NYC winter made better with the Wolcott touch!”
Review of Wolcott Hotel

Wolcott Hotel
Ranked #241 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We stayed during the ice storm of Dec 2013. Wolcott service-warm, friendly from the start. Directions, cab to JFK, efficient housekeeping, all contributions to a fab stay. Considering suite? excellent. Although hotel is old it's not run down and had a charm of Victorian B&Bs in England.
Tip: Bring along your personal soaps, shampoos and lotions. If The Wolcott can improve in this department and give the patron better bath luxuries (esp for the suites), it'll be perfect. I'm coming back.

Room Tip: It was warm and toasty for us, especially in the middle of the ice storm. Heaters were efficient. U...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Wolcott Hotel

Reviewed December 31, 2013

For christmas and celebrating new years eve in new york city, we looked for a hotel in a good location. Ok, then you pay a really high price. But it was worth the money. Right next to the empire state building, you can see it every time you walk out of the main entrance. Subway is only a 5 minute walk away. You have then the yellow and pink lines available. But also Penn station is in walking distance. Also closeby is times square.

When you arrive the first time in the hotel, it really impresses you. Looks very old with the high ceilings and carpet on the floor. Ok, don't expect a luxery 5 star Dubai or Las Vegas hotel, because that is not the type of hotel you booked. The hotel is from 1904 I believe and that you can see, but we loved it. The room was ok, little small. Just like the beds, but they slept good. Bathroom is ok, with a nice shower. You can hear the plumping rattle when you start the water. There is a safe on the room, enough space to put your clothes in, a desk, airco and tv. In the bathroom some shampoo, hairdryer and more then enough towels.

The staff itself is very friendly and always willing to help you. At the entrance you can find a tourist desk. We didnt used it, only to book our airport transfer, which were ok prices. Breakfast is free, but limited to coffee, tea and muffins. But he, its free and its a good start. Biggest downside: no free wifi. In this times, where everybody is using it, it should be free. In the most cheap hotels I stayed it was free, the more expensive hotels you have to pay. This is crazy!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I travelled with my son (14yrs) our first time to New York and needed to be in a safe area etc not knowing the City we were here for 1 week over Christmas. I did read reviews of the hotel on trip adviser before booking and it was all about the location of the Hotel which I would give 10 out 10 could not have been more central and at a reasonable price. I also read the comments about the hotel being dated, rooms very hot and water pipes banging but I figured I would not be spending that much time in a hotel room in New York. We were out all day as there is so much to see. I would agree that even thought the entrance is very decorative the hotel could do with some refurb keeping all original features. The room was very hot but not a major problem in fact the room was basic but good agin we were only there from 8 pm - 9 am. Breakfast Muffins were delicious and an added bonus. Hotel staff not that helpful and concierge changed daily.

Would I book this hotel again - most Definitely due to location and reasonable price.

would I recommend to my friends - most definitely as a first time to New York.

Room Tip: We had a view of the Empire State Building from our room we requested this at the time of booking.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 28, 2013

This hotel was ABSOLUTELY the worst. They can get away with charging ridiculous rates because they're in a prime location, but it's not worth it. The customer service is PISS POOR. Right from check in, the guy was condescending. I tried to be polite but it was completely useless as he continued to treat me and my parents with utter disrespect. Imagine how shocked I was when I asked to speak to a supervisor and HE was the supervisor. Any questions we had he would sigh and claim he already told us. The rooms aren't that great. I reserved this place because I was trying to save a bit of money, but I regret staying here. I would recommend just paying a little more and staying at a more reputable hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank kikumaru7
Reviewed December 28, 2013

I spent a Friday night in December at the Wolcott. There were some pros and cons to staying here but for $220 on a Friday in December, it was worth it. The lobby is beautiful if you look up but otherwise is dated and needs some repair. I waited about 10 minutes in line to check in. It was VERY SLOW and there were only a few people ahead of me and two men working the desk. They seemed uninterested at the front desk. My mother needed to use the restroom and she was told she had to wait in line for a key from the front desk... so she just waited until I checked in and used the one in our room.

We rented a triple so there were 3 twin beds and two rooms and room for 3 of us. The hotel and rooms are very dark and dated but clean and served their purpose. The hotel itself just felt sort of sad but the location was great and our rooms were clean so if you don't plan on spending much time there (which you shouldn't be when you're in NY) it's worth it.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 27, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed the three nights stay in this hotel very much. The double room was well furnished and comfortable. In the morning you could have a coffee and a donut in the historical reception area of the hotel. The location is an ideal starting point for sightseeing because it's located between Broadway and 5th Avenue. A lot of attraction are nearby in walking distance, e.g. Empire State Building and Rockefeller Plaza. We just can recommend the Wolcott Hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 26, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at the Wolcott. It was in a great location between Broadway and 5th Avenue and easy walking distance to most attractions. The rooms were clean and neat. The front desk staff were great. Would recommend.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple