“Very nice hotel”
Review of Wolcott Hotel

Wolcott Hotel
Ranked #241 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed in the Wolcott Hotel with our son for 8 days and had booked a suite. The very spacious rooms were tastefully decorated and very clean.
It was very nice to get in contact with other guests at breakfast time in the lobby.
Another positive aspect is the great location. We always felt very safe in this hotel.
But there is also a negative thing, we have to mention. In most other hotels the WIFI is free, but in the Wolcott hotel, they charge 9.95 $ per day. If this would be free, the Wolcott would get an excellent rating from us.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Wolcott Hotel

Reviewed August 27, 2013

The Wolcott was a wonderful experience in the heart of NYC. The lobby was a piece of old time opulence and the service provided was excellent. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the Big Apple.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Eileen K
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Rooms in this hotel are large going by US hotel standards. It was clean and well maintained.
But don't expect much from the hotel staff supposedly responsible for helping you with tourist questions. It was like she really didn't want to be there and in spite of spelling it for her, she couldn't even get my name right when booking a shuttle to the airport!

Breakfast which consists of tea, coffee and a range of different flavored muffins is included in the price but there are many diner options around from which you could get healthier options.

I've stayed here twice now and would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Myself and my husband stayed here for 3 days as part of a trip around America. It was a great location, just off of 5th Avenue.

It was a charming hotel, with lots of character.

Our room was large, with a huge bathroom. Very clean.

Great breakfast in the morning with a choice of lovely muffins and tea and coffee.

The only negative I had of this hotel, was unfortunately the customer service. Having only visited Orlando before visiting New York I thought customer service in America was second to none! However, the driver to get us to the hotel was incredibly rude, which a few people commented upon. Then we arrived at the hotel, the staff behind the desk barely acknowledged us when we arrived. There were no smiley faces. A severe lack of information when we asked for any directions or advice. Unfortunately this downgraded the hotel for me.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kjlawrence
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We decided for this hotel due to its locations, and it is quite good and safe, even during the night.
The hotel entrance is beautiful with an old style and antique furniture, near the reception you have an information desk that can be very helpful.
The room was spacious but everything is old, the bed was not so comfortable but enough for some nights. The bathroom was large and clean but also old and requires some works. The worst part was seeing some shower gel and shampoo already opened and half used.
The breakfast offered was good enough to start the day, muffins and tea or coffee.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I am by far not a picky person. I am forgiving and pretty easy going. This was by far the worst hotel experience of my life. I had a 24 hour layover in NYC and was very excited to see the town. This hotel was AWFUL... absolutely the ONLY place I have to complain about. I get to the hotel to check in. The staff was friendly enough and they gave me my room key. When I open my room door, I see people's stuff in my room. This FREAKED ME OUT. Not only could I have accidently walked in on someone, but what if someone was given the key to my room? They could have robbed me blind. Not to mention when I mention this to the staff they were non-chalant and gave me a SMALLER room. Then they made me pay $9.95 for internet and would not do anything to compensate their HUGE mishap.

The rooms look like a 50s crack house and smelt like a 70 year old smokers car.

THIS IS THE ONLY HOTEL I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND TO ANYONE!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Chris G
Reviewed August 20, 2013

im giving this a star because of the history and the building itself was beautiful and the historical value behind it is amazing. BUT........

THE CUSTOMER SERVICE WAS PISS POOR!

Me and my two friends arrived a little early before check in time so we were told we could store bags in the back til check in. so after standing there a few minutes getting our things together i heard a whispered comment behind us from a female (possibly latina) employee " they must want somebody to get their bags" as if we should already known exactly where to go and they're not suppose to help us at all.
she was so rude but she finally came from behind the desk to show us where to store our bags. from there we kinda brushed it off and thought hey welcome to new york lol

so because we were to early to check-in we decided to go get lunch to kill time.

we returned a little after three oclock so we could check-in and we heard conversation between the manager and a employee about checking us into dirty rooms. we immediately questioned the conversation and again we got a rude response of "he's talking about another situation that has nothing to do with you" it was said so condescendingly, it was jus shocking that they would talk to customers that way.

so after we get our things together the manager gets us checked in and gave us our room keys we headed upstairs. and i couldn't believe what i saw when i walked in.
immediately as you enter the room there were undergarments on the bed then we started noticing other personal belongings all across the room.

THEY GAVE US KEYS TO A OCCUPIED ROOM!

thank goodness the guest wernt in the room as we walked in. we couldn't believe it, all we could think of was what if they did this to us. what if we stay here, leave the room and they give our room keys to another guest and they walk in our room and just decided to take all our valuables.

We just felt so uneasy we went back to the front desk to get our money back.
as we approached the front desk we calmly addressed the manager about the mistake and we want to receive a refund. at that point a female employee (same latina) at the desk tells us well you haven't been charged so you cant get any money back they only charge at check out. which was fine so we asked for documentation that we was canceling the room. from there we proceed to tell us no "you have to wait til your bank puts the money back on your card" now we was confused.
we expressed how uncomfortable we were about the mistake and we just want to cancel. but the female employee began raising her voice and said she couldn't just cancel the room and wouldn't give us documentation that we canceled it. we asked could we be accommodated in any way and the female employee says " he said he was sorry and we're giving you another room but because your deciding not to take it we're going to charge you for the night as a no show"
it was ridiculous! remember we arrived at the hotel BEFORE check-in and even came back after check-in so why in the world would we be charged as no shows?

she was so irate, loud, rolling eyes, the whole 9 yards. we couldn't believe this is what they was passing as customer service. and she wasn't even a manager. we asked to speak to him but she wouldn't let him get a word in edgewise. he barley said a word at all as she yelled at us for about 10 minutes even as customers were walking in she wouldn't let up. even another employee came up and said "just cancel it kathy they don't want to stay here just cancel it" and she rolls her eyes and yells "no that's not our policy and you know it, we're charging them as no shows"

I almost felt like we were on the show "Punked" it was crazy. so after fighting with this woman for what seemed like forever we and my cousin sat off to the side to get our heads straight my other friend decided to talk to the manager ALONE without the rude and loud female employee. after they talked for a few minutes the female employee and the manager came out and apologized.
she gave this spill about another customer before us chewed her out so she unintentionally took it out on us.
regardless she was completely unprofessional, rude, loud and completely unpleasant to deal with. and as a manager he should have got her in check and handled the situation himself instead of allowing his employee scream at us in front of customers. he ended up giving us a bigger room at no extra charge and we decided to stay, after all it was only for a night.

we didn't see that female employee the rest of our stay

she was the ONLY unpleasant part of my experience at this hotel. the building is beautiful and the other employees were really nice afterwards and the rest of our stay was fine. and the rooms were clean. be mindful that its a old building so the design and the size of the rooms our different from our modern commercial hotels.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends