“Best and most authentic Thai food in NYC!”
Review of Songkran

Songkran
Ranked #4,625 of 13,684 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chelsea
NYC
“Best and most authentic Thai food in NYC!”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

There's a new best Thai restaurant in town! Okay first let me preface this review by first disclosing my obsession with Thai food, I have been to Thailand over two dozen times and have tried almost every Thai restaurant in New York, My belief is that Thai food should be a cuisine of its own rather than being relegated to a subset of Asian cuisine.

My favorite Thai restaurant used to be Won Dee Siam (location no.1) on 9th Ave, then it was SriPaiPhai in Woodside, Queens. Both of these have been surpassed by the innovative and creative dishes of Songkran. As another reviewer mentioned, this restaurant is under new management as of March 2014 (but kept the same name so the old legacy reviews remain here in Yelp), and the change is refreshing. In fact the only similarity that this new management shares with their predecessor is the name. The staff is attentive piolite and professional.

Some definite musts are the Mee Krab (or Mae Grob)- a perfect blend of salty, sweet and spicy. Hands down the best I've ever had, and I've tried a lot of krab in mee [sic] life! Pair that with the pillow soft curry puffs and your apps are set.

For entree, I recommend the Sidewalk, which is reminiscent of a dish you can get on the streets of Bangkok - these guys had me at the Mee Krab! If you're brave, I recommend getting this dish "Beef Thai style" - this is not for the faint of heart as it WILL be spicy (you should definitely let the server know your ability to handle spice if you order this. As it normally leaves the kitchen it will burn the taste buds off of most American tongues.

If you're still hungry, and want to try a noodle dish, you must try the Drunk Man Noodles. I had heard that this was a popular dish at Songkran, and was fully prepared to be underwhelmed, but the dish is very tasty. That and the Pad Si Eew (nothing ewwy about this dish) - the level of wok smokiness is masterful.

To wash down this meal, you can not leave without trying the herbal drinks. The Thai iced tea and coffee are authentic and delicious, but the herbal drinks are homemade and truly unique, I understand that this restaurant has an arsenal of different herbal drinks and since it is home brewed, they will feature only one or two per day. I love a place that considers its drinks as carefully as the meal that it goes with.

Like most Thai restaurants, Songkran has a top secret menu of items that you can order but are not listed on the menu (think In-and-Out Burger). The deep fried satay (particularly the beef) is unbelievably tender and once you try it, you may never have grilled satay ever again. Another amazing find is their fried shrimp skins. Sounds knarly, I know, but think shrimp chips with the texture of potato chips. It is not always available so if you ask nicely and you get lucky, you may just score.

Some slight oversights to this restauant are really personal, but I thought I should mention them. First it is my belief that every Thai restaurant should have Lard Na and there is no Lard Na on Songkran's menu (by the way I learned that this restaurant's website is songkrankitchennyc.com where you can see the menu and place orders online for delivery). Second, skip the Tod Mun Pla as it is pedestrian and uneventful. Given the other strengths of this restaurant these two oversights are easily overlooked.

A note about the portion and the value. Cheap is not always the best and the best is not always cheap. I found the portions large and filling and for the quality and care of the food that comes out of their kitchen, it is completely worth it.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank misobrilliant

• Korean first
New York City, New York
“New Thai Favorite”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

I have been obessesed with Thai food ever since I traveled to the country 10 years ago. I ate all over Bangkok, Chang Mai and in villages in the Mae Rim Valley.. from 5 star restaurants to food stalls. It remains one of my favorite cuisines and as a foodie that also cooks, Songkran has become my new favorite place to eat. My previous favorites has been Sriaphaphi in Woodside and Royal Siam in Chelsea. I've eaten alot of Thai in NYC over the last 20 years but Songkran managed to impress me.

I recently had dinner there with members of my family.. all foodies and talented cooks in their own right.. we had Mee Grob, Calamari and Phony Shrimp for appetizer.. Definitely try them. the Phony Shrimp is tasty fried shrimp shell - they are addictive - and not found in most other restaurants.

We also had Pad Thai, Pineapple Fried Rice.. their fiery SideWalk rice dish and an exceptional fried fish filets with a mango salad (special for our party).

Prices are wallet friendly, service is friendly and food.. absolutely delicious and worth the visit!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank WanderingSiren973
Bangkok, Thailand
“Awesome...Wonderful !!!”
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Food here is so good...under nice environment, music and light. I do really love and enjoy eating Thai Summer Roll, Duck Tammarind and Fish Mango Salad. Will come back again.

• Visited March 2014
New York City, New York
“Great!”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I've eaten lots of authentic Thai food in Thailand so I'm a bit of a Thai food snob and rarely eat it in the U.S. However, Song Kran is worth it. It has quick, friendly service in a small neighborhood ambience and most important of all, I enjoy the food. I've eaten there several times and will continue to do so. They also deliver. Although they mistakenly delivered the wrong meal to me once, I called and they quickly brought me the right meal and let me keep both at no additional charge.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank M B
Brooklyn, New York, USA
“This restaurant have a warm environment”
Reviewed December 16, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Me and my friends had a great time in such as a warm restaurant. Thank you for the crispy shrimp dish.

Visited November 2013