“Tasty and good fun”

Hill Country Barbecue Market
Reserve with OpenTable
Hill Country Barbecue Market is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #375 of 13,937 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Bar
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: Between Broadway and 6th Avenue
Transit: 1, 6, N, R, & W trains to 28th Street, and F & M trains to 23rd Street.
Reviewed March 28, 2014

I'm not too keen eating out of paper, however once over the fact that you have to wait for each counter and bring back your food whilst drinks are served to you, I just devoured my moist beef brisket and the slaw. Unpretentious and informal, it's a bit on the pricey side for self-service, however the meat is really very good. The decor is country-ish, nothing too silly or too pretentious.

There are newer reviews for Hill Country Barbecue Market

Reviewed March 26, 2014

What a fabulous dinner we had at Hill Country BBQ. We had 5:30 reservations, but arrived late due to traffic but it didn't matter and we were seated and explained how the place runs.
Ordered our drinks from our kind server, who made sure we understood how the place worked and wondered if we had any questions. We didn't. We took our order card to the meat market and ordered 3/4 lbs of the brisket. Then to the sides counter to order side dishes. We ordered collard greens that were the best I ever tasted! Also some mac and cheese. This process took 5 miniutes at most. The food was outragious. The brisket was so moist and tender. Collard greens has a tang and a splash of spice. We ordered the small, next time it's the large. The mac and cheese was nice and creamy but bland to me, so I didn't eat more then one forkful. Desert was the apple crisp, with vanilla ice cream. I will have you know I am a baker by trade and when I tell you this was THE BEST apple crisp I have ever had I mean it! When you're in NYC and want a good mean.....check out Hill Country. We went downstairs later to see the Hold Steady, what a great night!

Reviewed March 25, 2014

I love this place, the moist brisket is awesome and the short ribs are great (though pricy, be sure to have them weigh it first)

Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

Food is good and tasty. Service is spotty as our waitress never came back to fill water or check if we needed more drinks. Somewhat self service food as you go to stations to pick out your neat and sides. For that fact, it's a bit overpriced but if you're a BBQ fan definitely wort a try.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

Found this place by surfing Tripadvisor. After reading some of the reviews we decided to go. We love the concept. It is a interesting cool place. Once you are shown to your seats, your waiter will bring drinks and dessert. I'll get to the dessert in a minute. You go up to get your meat(s), which are weighed by the pound. Choices are beef and pork ribs, beef shoulder, brisket (moist or lean), chicken (half or quartered), sausage and turkey. We got a quarter chicken and about 3 slices of brisket and it came to a little over $14 each. Now you add your sides ($3.95 & 4.95). I didn't get the collard greens I wanted because it was loaded with some sort of pork, so I got cole slaw and sweet potatoes. A young man who works there suggested the mac n cheese, saying it is really good. However, it didn't look like BAKED mac n cheese so I didn't indulge. They have beans, potato salad and corn pudding as well. I would have given this place 5 stars, but frankly in my opinion the sides do not match up to the BBQ and could have been better. The BBQ was some of the best I have ever had, It was amazingly tasty, moist and delicious. Now for the HIGHLIGHT of the evening! They sell but a few desserts, banana pudding, pecan pie, German Chocolate cake and a couple others. Trust me when I say that you have never ever had a slice of German chocolate cake as delicious as the cake at Hill Country BBQ! NEVER, have I had a German Chocolate cake that good. The price is $8.00. Yes I know it's a little pricey but once you eat it you will not have a problem with the $8 price. It's like two slices in one it such a big slice, so that should help you get over the price. Simply the most delicious, moist cake I have ever enjoyed! I keep asking myself, could the cake be that good all the time or was it a fluck. Must try again to make sure. Do not pass GO! To Hill Country BBQ.

1  Thank Niecie718