“Good meat! Not fancy!”

Hill Country Barbecue Market
Reserve with OpenTable
Hill Country Barbecue Market is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #322 of 13,554 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: Between Broadway and 6th Avenue
Transit: 1, 6, N, R, & W trains to 28th Street, and F & M trains to 23rd Street.
“Good meat! Not fancy!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

This is far from fancy. Grab your boots and jwZns and you will fit right in. I will get right to it. This is all about the Pork and Mac and Cheese. The beef spare ribs were not good at all. The brisket was tasty. Food could have been a bit warmer for my liking. But the rub placed on the pork, chicken and brisket was tasty. The Mac and Cheese was outrageous. If i go back, it will be for this dish. Sweet tea was just like in the south. Service was great from the guys behind the counters to the waitress. It is "line style" and you need a meal ticket. Bring your ticket up to the front at the end or else you will be charged $50.00. For me, I kept my ticket safe. Overall, this place was decent. I will not be running back, but if I want meat and cheese, I'll hit this place up.

• Korean first
Michigan
“ORDER THE MOIST BRISKET”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

This restaurant had a great atmosphere, a real texas feel to it. We ordered all of the meats. They were all great but the brisket is championship worthy. Very filling meal....make sure you are hungry before u go. Will visit again.

• Visited October 2012
Billund, Denmark
“Big food, big night out!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

Wow! The food was huge and delicious... the meat is amazing, with a great selection and the sides are bigger than you think, so order with caution! Our server was loads of fun, and we had an awesome time! I ordinarily don't like lining up for food, but the whole experience adds to it. Well worth a visit if you are hungry or feel like something a little different!

Los Angeles, California
“Good food , nice atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

Just fun, Best BBQ , live country music show ...just fun .
I will be defiantly go there again in my next visit .

• Visited October 2011
New York City, New York
“Whole Hoggin' It!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

My cousin came into town on a business trip so my brother recommended this place. My cousin is originally from Texas and has been out of the country for a few years. We figured he's hurting for some serious BBQ type food.

We got there on a Tues night and the place was busy. Not overly crowded but for a party of 8, we had to wait 45 minutes. While waiting, we ordered a few ribs to gnaw on. A sign of things to come! It was delish! My pre-teens were definitely putting teeth marks in the ribs. I would've like it better if the hard skin part was taken off the rib first. It was a bit like biting into a piece of packing tape.

The staff at Hill Country is young and casual. Very helpful when explaining how to order your food. You get a meal ticket and stand on line to the "carving station". Once there, you have your choice of the daily special, pork ribs, beef ribs, moist brisket, lean brisket, boneless prime rib, chicken, etc... You order by the weight. I saw "whole hog" and I just had to have it. I was hoping for a crunchy piece of skin as well but the meat was stripped off and the skin looked pretty tough (think football...) I also got the boneless prime rib and the brisket moist (recommended by my brother who is a total carnivore). The meats were divine! They're weighed out on a scale and wrapped up in butcher paper. When I placed my order of a 1/4 pound brisket moist, the server yelled out to the carver.... "QUARTER MOIST!" It was like a scene from a restaurant in a movie. Very juicy, tender brisket! Highly recommended. You will not be disappointed.
As yummy as the brisket moist was, just when I thought things couldn't be better,,,,, the whole hog was the top rung of the ladder for me. Fall-off-the-bones tender, perfectly seasoned, juicy, and utterly delicious. It was so tempting to start picking at the pieces while I was standing on line for the sides. The boneless prime rib was also excellent. Perfectly cooked medium rare. Not bloody, not tough. After the meats were weighed out, a sticker is placed on your meal ticket and you pay at the cashier after eating.

I shared a meal ticket with my son and thank goodness I divvied the meats beforehand otherwise I'm not too sure I'd have any for myself. He was gobbling it down so fast!

The sides I got was the green bean casserole and the mac and cheese thing. Both were nicely seasoned. Someone else at our table got the corn pudding. Pretty good as well. Has a bit of spiciness to it. It looked good and I will get it the next time I'm here.

The decor is pretty homey/country. Wooden tables, wooden seats, conversations of people having good food and a good time. I couldn't take any photos to post because I was so engrossed in the eating! It was THAT good! Needless to say, my Texas cousin loved it, I loved it and my brother that recommended this place continues to love it!

• Visited September 2012