“Outstanding experience...”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Harlem
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I felt welcomed immediately after walking into the restaurant at 7:30 p.m. The staff was excellent -- attentive and warm. Melba introduced herself and appeared genuinely interested in ensuring an outstanding dining experience. As with other posters here, I ordered the fried chicken and egg nog waffles. The chicken was spiced just right (not overpowering) and had the the right crispness while maintaining its succulence. The waffles were perfect, with the strawberry-flavored butter adding a new taste sensation. The sweet tea was the best I have ever tasted, which says a lot becuse I love the stuff. At the end of the meal, I received a hug and nice parting words from Melba. It was a dining experience nothing less than outstanding.

Reviewed May 25, 2012

live 2 blocks from Melba's and I frequent the restaurant at least once every two weeks. The food is great from the brunch to the dinner and the prices are reasonable. You can't go wrong eating at Melba's no matter how picky you are. The only reason why I did not give Melba's 5 stars is because there is another restaurant in the area that I believe is slightly better. I will not post the name since this review is about Melba's.

The best dishes on the menu are:

Mac and Cheese
Beef Ribs
Collards
Tilapia
Sweet Potatoes

Reviewed May 18, 2012

I took my cousin here for her birthday. It is best to make reservations in advance since they get packed very easily due to the small space. The food was delicious, especially the pecan crusted tilapia and the mac & cheese. Service was excellent. I will definitely eat here again!

Reviewed March 6, 2012

I went to Melba's ready to have the chicken and egg nog waffles for breakfast. The place was small but quaint. The décor...contemporary and functional. The atmosphere was casual and comfortable. The staff was very attentive. I ordered the signature fried chicken and egg nog waffles. I was expecting one large waffle; instead I received three small waffles. I was a little disappointed after seeing how they looked on the website. However, the taste made up for the disillusionment; they were exceptional. The waffles were adorned with fried chicken and fruit. My husband had the sweet potato pancakes which he raved about, so I will definitely try that on my next visit to NYC. There is a brunch menu that consist of Fried Fish, Smothered Chicken, Steak & Eggs, Chef ’s Vegetable Frittata, and Salmon Croquette….to name a few. It's a menu that will have you coming back for more to sample the other dishes.

I heard Melba's is the place to celeb watch…however not when I was there. I'll need to come back in the evening when the "joint is jumpin" as they say! I will go back and would recommend to anyone who's a comfort food "foodie."

2  Thank GigiNYC
Reviewed February 26, 2012

Melba's is truly a wonderful restaurant. Casual but elegant! The comfort food menu is delicious. This was a great food experience. Will return (often). Enjoy!