“worth another visit”

Neighborhood: Midtown
Dallas
“worth another visit”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

My 2nd time to 2nd Ave. only this time it was in the new location since they moved. Still as great as it always was. Feels like the old location and the food is exactly the same which is awesome. Still meats piled a mile high and delicious and tender cuts. Fast service. Seems expensive of course, but those sandwiches can be shared they are so big. Pickles and slaw served ahead of time are a nice compliment to the food.

Visited July 2014

• Turkish first
New York City, New York
“A Real Deli”
Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

The Second Avenue Deli is not on Second Avenue. However it is a Deli that gives you overstuffed sandwiches. I usually ask for two extra slices of bread and make two full sandwiches out of their large servings. Not inexpensive, but you definitely get your monies worth, Service with a smile and sometimes a good joke.

Visited May 2014
5 Thank jeremy t
“Food ok but not worth the cost”
Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

This food is pricey for what you get. Our waiter was friendly service was great but would not go back.

Visited July 2014
Washington
“Could be cleaner, but very good pastrami”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

If you're not the type to be bothered by stained menus, tables that need better cleaning, and orders to/from the kitchen being shouted over what sounded like a speaker system, settle in and enjoy some of New York's best pastrami and other deli. The complimentary chocolate seltzer at the end is a nice touch.

• Visited July 2014
Ocean View, Delaware
“Almost 5 stars...but!”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

With all our favorite midtown delicatessens closing, I went to Trip Advisor to help me find another one. Our VERY favorite deli remains Katz's in lower Manhattan, but we were in for a show that night and didn't want to battle rush hour traffic. TA members recommended this one and we tried it.
First, you have to really hunt for this one! It's not in the original location and is on a side street, between 3rd and Lexington, but eventually, we found it. The restaurant is not big, but very nice and the staff (especially the hostess), was extremely friendly. I'm a born and raised New Yorker, so a deli has to pass a lot of tests for me. As mentioned it gets an "A" for staff.
Now for the food! I give it 4 stars. We ordered the soup/half sandwich combo, which was plenty of food! You get a nice cabbage slaw to start. We also split a potato knish, as an appetizer, because I miss having them (we currently live in coastal Delaware). It was very good, but a bit pricey, at $5.50. The soup we ordered was Mushroom Barley and it was delish! There were plenty of mushrooms and it wasn't too salty. My husband's pastrami on rye was very yummy! It was flavorful and had just the right amount of fat (enough to make it juicy, but not greasy). The four star rating was based on 2 things, one of which was my corned beef, which the restaurant prides itself on (even highlights it on the menu). Mine was good - not great. In fact, it was a bit dry. I know corned beef inherently is drier than pastrami, but this one was more dry than usual and not terribly flavorful. That being said, there was plenty of it and I did enjoy it, but I wished for more flavor. The other thing that disappointed me, just a bit, was that I am used to getting a large bowl of pickles and pickled tomatoes on the table in a deli. Instead, they give you one each of the crisp, new pickles and one each of the more aged dill/vinegar pickles on a plate - no tomatoes. I guess we could have asked for more, but we were afraid that would come with a price tag.
Our lunch, with an iced tea ($3.50) and a Dr. Brown's canned soda ($2.50), came to $59.00 (which includes a 20% tip). To me, this was pricey for lunch, but I knew going in what it would be and chose to indulge, because we were "coming home".
Would I go back? Hmm...jury is still out on that one. I think we will program in more time, on our next visit and go back to my old standby - Katz's. But if I do go back - I'll opt for a different sandwich choice and customize my pickle allotment! ;-)

• Visited June 2014