“Well we enjoyed it!”

Southern Hospitality BBQ
Reserve with OpenTable
Southern Hospitality BBQ is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,248 of 13,820 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 45th Street
Transit: We are a few blocks away from Times Square and the Port Authority. The following subways lines stop nearby: A, C, E, 1, 2, 3 N, R, M, S
Description: SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY is an authentic Memphis-Style BBQ restaurant and bar. We boast some of the finest southern food found this side of the Mason Dixon Line. We feature traditional specialties including Dry Rubbed BBQ Ribs, Sweet and Sticky Baby Back Ribs, Crispy Southern Fried Chicken, Fried Pickles, and Mac & Cheese that you'll never forget. Our Southern fare is complimented by juicy corn fed Steaks, grilled jumbo Gulf Shrimp with Rosemary Grits, and lighter fare like our Watercress and Praline Salad, and Grilled Salmon with Black Eyed Peas. In addition to our fine cuisine, we offer a full line of draft beers, an extensive list of sipping tequilas, and over 50 of the Country's finest Bourbons. World renown wine expert, Gary Vaynerchuk, has hand selected an eclectic wine list that pairs beautifully with our diverse menu.
Queensland, Australia
“Well we enjoyed it!”
Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

Notice some not so great reviews. We stopped in for a drink before a show and thought, mmmm, might be a good place to try after the show for dinner (waitress smiled at least). We had the ribs (partner had baby back ribs and I had the wet ribs), as you do at a ribs place! Wine list is very limited so a slight negative there. Service was good, not great. They calc the gratuity for you on their bill which is helpful as a guide only of course.

Visited April 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
“Good not great”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Have been eating here for about 1/2 dozen times since they opened. It's in our neighborhood so it comes up as a possibility to have dinner. Lately it's not been as good as it had been. the place is getting 'divey' looking and feeling although at one time it all seemed to work. Now it's all mismatched chairs and knocked up tables that wobble and need to be wiped down better. the front of the restaurant is better than the back room. We stay with our 'tried and true' but when we've ventured off of those the results were just okay. Our server made some recommendations for dessert as the carrot cake was no longer offered. All three were not nice at all and at $7-8 not recommended. What is recommended is to go here to drink and hang out with a bunch of friends.

• Visited April 2014
New Jersey
“Hit or miss flavor.”
Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

I am very partial because I have traveled extensively through states that specialize in BBQ. The fried pickles were good, but the batter they are fried in has little flavor. Same with the fries, very little flavor. The pulled pork was good, made better with some sauce. If you are looking for THE home run BBQ meal, it wont knock it out of the park, but it is a decent option.

Chicago, Illinois
“It's alright”
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

Went on Easter. Had heard great things about it. It was ok. I wasn't wowed, it wasn't bad. French toast was different and very good. Biscuits and Gravy, & eggs were typical and average like everywhere else. I liked the atmosphere and the blue grass band. I found our waitress to be very unhappy to be there and impersonal. She never said her name, it was just kinda "what can I get you". As someone who's served myself, I always give servers the benefit of the doubt and go easier on them than some others would. But she was not a good server. The busboys and host were fabulous though. Very attentive and nice. I've heard lunch and dinner menu is very good. Maybe I'll try that next time if I go back. I was just excited about having a good true southern breakfast like my Grandmas. Thought it was going to be a step above most other restaurants try on down home cooking. It was disappointing in that respect. So my opinion is it's just alright.

Virginia
“All the Hospitality, Without the Flavor”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

So, my friends have really hyped this restaurant up. I was expecting big things and what I got was mixed. We had the nachos which are loaded with the usual fare and then given a southern twist by adding bbq sauce and instead of nachos cheese they pour on mac and cheese sauce. Which oddly, the mac and cheese sauce was on the bottom of the nachos instead of being drizzled on top. Didn't make much sense. Honestly, they were just alright. I also had the bacon mac and cheese as a part of my meal and I have to say that the cheese sauce that was used on both the nachos and the mac and cheese was so bland, it was almost tasteless. For a restaurant selling comfort food, I expect much more of the mac and cheese. Not enough flavor. Needed more sharpness to their cheese. I will say, I had their bbq pulled pork sliders and they were very good. But I cannot forgive bland mac and cheese at a comfort food joint.

As for the hospitality, there was plenty of that. The staff was wonderful. Our server came from the Memphis area of Tennessee and she was truly a sweet southern girl. Good job on the hiring and keeping it authentic!

But if you are looking for comfort food, you would do better to go across the street and get yourself a burger and a milkshake at Five Napkin Burger. For the money you spend (the prices are high considering the quality), this place is just not worth it.

• Visited April 2014