“Good hotel - well located and reasonably priced” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo

Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo
Ranked #292 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London
“Good hotel - well located and reasonably priced”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2011

We just got back from 3 night stay at this hampton inn. The hotel is reasonably new, and the rooms and public areas are still in good condition. We stayed in a two double bed room and although it wasn't huge, it was a good size by New York standards, The bathroom was also good - clean and everything in good working order.

Although there isn't wifi, there is wired ethernet, but as other reviewers have pointed out, then tab on the end of the ethernet cable was missing, so it would keep popping out, but this is a pretty minor detail. As other reviewers have mentioned you do get some traffic noise. We were on the 7th floor and it was fine for us, you heard some noise but nothing that kept us awake. On our booking we did as for as high a room as possible.

The staff were very friendly and helpful, they were very well organised about holding our bags after checkout, and getting the bags back & transportation etc was very efficient and easy.

The rate includes breakfast, but to be honest this is where you see what compromises have been made to acheive the rate. There is nothing wrong with it - you get cereals, toast, eggs, bacon, waffles etc, but the quality of the ingredients are a little cheap.

The location of the hotel is excellent it is very close to the shopping on Spring and Prince, and not a long walk to Chinatown. Greenwich village etc are all a short cab ride away. The hotel is also very close to a number of subway lines, so getting uptown is very easy. We normally stay in midtown locations, but this worked really well.

Overall I would say for a reasonable priced hotel in New York it's pretty much as good as it gets.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
karlbaugher, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo, responded to this review, January 13, 2011
Dear Harryb,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us here at the Hampton Inn Soho. We really do appreciate the comments and glad you enjoyed your stay. Just to let you know we are in the process of getting wireless internet thoughout the hotel soon and as with wired, it will be secure and complimentary to all of our guests. As for the breakfast, we try to serve a variety of goods each morning. We follow the Hampton standards and service what we are required to serve. The really great news here is that we are now using all bio-degradable plates, bowls and flatware at the hotel. Both in the rooms and in the breakfast area. We feel allot better about being eco-friendly and getting rid of the styrofoam and plastic.

Thanks again for your review and we hope you'll come back and visit with us again soon!

Best Regards
Karl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for four nights from 28 Dec '10 - 1 Jan '11. We're from Long Island and wanted to take a mini-vacation in the city for holiday break/New Year's eve. I love the neighborhood-y feel of downtown Manhattan (and abhor the overcrowdedness of midtown) so I was looking for a well-located hotel with good access to subways, that would not break the bank. The Hampton Inn fit the bill - it's right at the junction of SoHo and TriBeCa and was a very quick walk to the 1, 2, and 3 (red) lines, and the A, C, and E (blue) lines. Though the night of New Year's eve was very expensive, that's to be expected. And the other nights were very reasonable for a Manhattan hotel. The hotel itself was very nice. The lobby is small but has a little bar and access to computers and printers. The room was bigger than I was expecting for the price, and was nicely appointed - same for the bathroom. The room had FREE wired internet (wireless available in the lobby). Most hotels use the internet connection as a way to make a few extra bucks, so the Hampton Inn having a free connection was great. Another free amenity was hot breakfast from 6:00 to 10:00 every morning. They had little omelets, home fries, a do-it-yourself waffle maker, fruit, breads, an assortment of cereals, etc. And 24 hour complimentary coffee and juice. Breakfast time was a zoo, and one morning we had to bring food back to the room for lack of a place to sit, but the staff kept it moving as well as they could, and again, it was free, which like the internet is usually an area hotels will try to make a buck (or save a buck by not offering it at all). We took the train in so didn't need parking, but I think they had a deal with a local garage to park at a discounted rate. For NJ folks it's also a few hundred feet from the entrance to the Holland Tunnel, so easy to get in and easy to escape on your way out. The hotel itself is on a quiet block, but as mentioned, it's at the junction of SoHo and TriBeCa so you would be hard pressed not to find plenty to do - shopping, eating, drinking, music, etc. are all within walking distance. This hotel is in a great spot and is well looked after by the staff. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
karlbaugher, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo, responded to this review, January 6, 2011
Dear Tom S.

What a fantastic review of our hotel Tom, thank you so much for making our Hampton Inn in Soho your vacation spot away from Long Island. Reviews such as yours are so important to us and a great morale booster for the staff. I'm going to share this one with the staff today.

Here's wishing you are yours the happiest of a New Year and please, if we can ever be of service to you again in the future, we'd love to have you back.

Best Regards
Chattanooga, TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2010

I booked this hotel because of the great price and finding two double beds. Because I paid in advance, I got the room for $150 a night. We got there about 10:30 am and were allowed to go on and check in if we were willing to take a lower floor. We did and it was fine. We could occasionally hear a few sounds from outside, but not at night or in the morning and there were no sounds from the hall. Breakfast was included in the fee and it was a good breakfast for hotel food. I ate at 9:30 and they had plenty of food and lots of seating. There were omelets (ok, but free), potatoes and bacon (surprising good), lots of cold choices, and surprisingly good coffee. The location was great. We were one block from two different subway lines. The room was a typical New York room smaller, but modern looking and clean. The beds were very comfortable. The bathroom was good. The staff was very helpful with eating suggestions and getting us a car for the airport. We were able to leave our luggage for free on our last day and could have left it when we got there if we wanted to wait for another room on a higher floor. This hotel is two years old and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
karlbaugher, Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo, responded to this review, December 30, 2010
Dear First Time Traveler Mom,

What a great review of our hotel. Many thanks to you for taking the time out to review us on tripadvisor.com. We always appreciate the comments good or bad. I will share your comments with my staff at our weekly meetings.

Thanks again and have a fantastic New Year!

Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2010

I was in town for one night only on business. The advertised rate online was $149/night for a King Room but I found a coupon code online that reduced the rate to $131 and some change.

The moment that I walked in the front doors, I was greeted by Jay who was absolutely amazing! He provided me with a map of the area, information about the property, & was more than helpful. He told me that I should feel free to ask him a thousand questions. Very pleasant, professional, & polite.

The hotel is super convenient to 100 restaurants & all the shopping that your heart desires. Everything that you need without the crowd of Midtown.

I was in room 909 (9th floor) & while my view was not jaw dropping, (which I didn't expect for $131/night) I slept like a log. I didn't hear any traffic at all. Absolutely NO complaints.

The complimentary breakfast in the morning was everything that I needed. If was very clean & the staff was extremely polite. I sat out in the covered patio area. Very peaceful & a great way to start the day.

My business appt was rescheduled which left me with nowhere to go after 11am checkout until my flight at LGA at 8:30. This is when I met Amanda, another Hampton Staff Member who was also very friendly & accommodating. She extended my checkout until 12pm & then the hotel held my luggage until around 5pm when I ventured back to the property.

I would once again see Jay before departing to the airport. I had to sit in the lobby, waiting for my ride for over an hour...but, Jay offered to fix me a plate of goodies to snack on while I waited.

This was a great hotel, cheap rate, excellence service, friendly staff, & I would without a doubt be staying here again. Actually, I can't wait. I LOVE NYC & I now love this hotel. It looks like the manager gets involved in these reviews which I personally think is a huge plus. I was even offered his cell number at check in, just in case I had an issues or wanted to give praise. Well here it is.....Jay & Amanda are phenomenal. They made my solo stay much more pleasant!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank aimeefreeman
karlbaugher, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo, responded to this review, December 30, 2010
Dear Aimee,

OK, I've just shared your comments with the staff and they were thrilled to say the least. It's comments like yours that make it all worth while knowing we are meeting and exeeding the guests expectations. Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about us. I take pride in my staff and through comments like yours, it shows.

We are all about guest service and are committed to maintaining our level of service to all guests, so much so that I do give all guests that check in to our hotel my cell number incase there are issues that need resolved requiring my personal attention.

Be on the look out for great changes in 2011. We have alot in store this coming year and hope you'll be able to return to us again soon.

Again, thanks Aimee and the very best of a New Year to you and yours.

Delaware, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here for two nights in December for a leisure weekend. Couple of points to be made.
-Parking is free in the streets on the weekends. The garage is $30 a day.
-Subway is super close and very convenient to get around the city.
-You are right by the entrance to the Holland Tunnel. Although this might be a noise issue for some, I thought it was great being able to zip right out of the city Sunday morning to go home.
-The lobby is super small and tight with only two elevators.
-Rooms are clean, hallways are so so.
-We tried breakfast and were a few minutes late on Sunday morning and it was very sad looking, everything was a mess, trash piled over, shelves cleared of food, and no one speaking english to ask for assistance.
All in all, it was a good place to stay, not for a luxury weekend but a place to lay your head.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
karlbaugher, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo, responded to this review, December 17, 2010
Dear Giulianova84,

Thanks for staying with us recently and also thank you for taking the time to rate us and write a review. As always I will share with my staff. I should point out that breakfast is served from 6AM to 10AM daily. The entire breakfast staff speaks fluent English so I'm not sure who you asked to assist you in getting food even after breakfast hours were over. I apologize for that.

Thank you for your business and wishing you and yours a happy holiday season!

Long Island, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2010

This truly is a fantastic hotel...friendly staff, beautiful rooms, comfy beds. However, keep in mind that this hotel is located on Watts Street, at the entrance to the Holland Tunnel, heavily traveled at all hours of the day and night. If horns don't wake you up, then by all means...stay here! But even up on the 18th floor, I didn't sleep all night.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
karlbaugher, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo, responded to this review, December 9, 2010
Scott,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review of our hotel here in Soho. I'm going to share this with my staff as I always do. I'm truely sorry you didn't sleep well during your stay. With the Holidays here traffic has increased all over the city and with us being 5 Blocks away from the Holland Tunnel entrance, traffic did get backed up during your stay. I believe you stayed during a grid lock day here. Again, I apologize.

Thanks you again for the review and best holiday wished to you and yours.

Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2010

Stayed 1 night in a room on 14th floor (actually, the missing 13th). Room had 2 double beds and a full bathroom. Paid $200 ($232 including taxes).

On our frequent trips to New York, we usually stay in Jersey City or in White Plains and take the PATH or MetroNorth trains into the city. Decided to take a chance this time on a cheap NYC hotel, and we are glad we did.

We were pleasantly surprised that the room and the bathroom were decent size. The room was clean, and everything was in working order. The beds were comfortable, and we had a nice view of Midtown, facing north. The AC/heat was located under the window, a little noisy but not too bad.

The people at the front desk, and on the phone were friendly and efficient.

Nice public open-air terrace on the top floor (19th).

Did not try the breakfast. Hotel was busy - always people in the lobby.

Location was very convenient to anywhere in Lower Manhattan. The subway is a 3 minute walk.

The one bad thing was the fact that the hotel was on a street that was a ramp directly into the Holland tunnel a short distance away. There was traffic gridlock around the hotel most of the time. We left the car in the garage around the corner on W. Broadway and walked the 1-2 blocks to the hotel.

Another small aggravation was the lack of wireless internet in the room. The wired ethernet connection worked, but the ethernet cable clip was broken, and kept falling out.

All in all, we thought this was a good value for the money and we would definitely like to stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank samodelka
karlbaugher, Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo, responded to this review, December 1, 2010
Dear Samodelka,

Thank you as always for taking the time to write such a nice review about our hotel. Sorry you didn't get a chance to have breakfast here though. Just to let you know, we are now working on getting wireless internet throughout the hotel, so I'm hoping very soon we will have this amenity to offer you on your next trip to the city.

Happy Holidays to you and yours and again, Thank You