“A Hidden Gem!”

Ranked #295 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“A Hidden Gem!”
Reviewed October 26, 2009

I picked this hotel, because I've had great experiences in the past with Hampton Inns, but must admit I was nervous about quality because the rate I secured was so low I figured it was too good to be true. Wrong! I had a wonderful experience and cannot recommend it enough!

Incredibly friendly staff, impeccable service and cleanliness, safe location (short walking distance to Metro and right in the heart of Soho). The breakfast was above and beyond what one should ever expect for a free "continental" breakfast! The room was beautiful and clean, and the beds are incredibly comfortable... We were right next to the ice machine and elevator, and didn't hear a peep. Also greatly appreciated was the free internet...

The only difficulty we had was in the "new-ness" of the hotel, and found that none of our taxi drivers knew where it was! As long as you prepare in knowing cross streets and general directions, there shouldn't be a problem getting there. I'm sure, too, that this will pass with time... Traffic can be ridiculous approaching Watts Street, as it feeds into the Holland Tunnel, so you might want to be prepared to walk a block or two with luggage to save yourself 45 minutes of gridlock.

All-in-all I will definitely return and must insist that this hotel receive at least one more star. If for nothing else, than for outstanding quality for an incredible value! Seriously, why pay for 3 or 4 stars when you can get the same (if not better in many cases) for a 2-star rate?

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank MyBackPages
karlbaugher, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo, responded to this review, November 2, 2009
Dear Portsmouth Guest,

Thanks for all the stars and the great review. Glad you had a great time and hope you were able to explore the Soho area while you were here. Also, sorry about the cabbies not knowing the location of the hotel, it actually has to do with the street configuration in lower Manhattan. Since this is the original part of NYC, we have street names. When you travel just a few blocks north of us, you start the Avenues and the numbered streets which makes it a piece of cake for a cabby to get where you're going to. At least you made and and that's what counts.

Thanks for the review of our hotel and happy holidays to you and yours.

Karl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Washington
Reviewed October 23, 2009

My Husband and I stayed for a week at the end of August.
Hot and muggy as it was first few days never felt that way in the Hotel.
Had a king bed room and I mean to tell you it was tight! But we were were only in room to sleep and shower and it was just fine,Bed was very comfortable and bedding nice.
Bathroom was quite large and tub was nice.
You can get creative as to where you store your empty luggage and things so as to make more space (on top of wardrobe worked well for us).
Breakfast was fine to get you going for an early start and saved a few bucks as well.
We really enjoyed the location close buy many interesting shops,great dining,chinatown,little Italy ect.... Soho was my favorite area in Manhattan was very happy to stay at such a location and hope to go back sometime.
Also Subway close by easy to get around.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Katherine C
Dear Demetria44,

Thanks for taking the time to write about your stay with us here in Soho. We're glad you ahd a great time and better yet, you figured out the key to creating more space in your room.

Thanks for the shinning review and please do come back and stay with us again. We value all our guests patronage always.

Thanks
Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 21, 2009

Nice hotel in a very convenient location. The front desk staff was extremely nice and helpful. The hotel is clean, our king-size bed room was a bit small, but very pleasant. if you are taking your car, ask for directions to the garage that costs $35, not the $30 one. It is much easier to get to and from.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
karlbaugher, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo, responded to this review, October 22, 2009
Dear Leedsie,

Thanks for the review on our hotel. Sounds like you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate all the positive feed back and share comments like yours with my staff. I hope next time you're in NYC you'll select our hotel as your lodging choice again. We really appreciate the business.

Best Wishes and Happy Holidays
Sydney
Reviewed October 18, 2009

Stayed here for 5 nights from Oct 11.
We were placed in a large room on the 18th floor, (not the cityview I expected, but an excellent room).
I cannot say enough positives about this hotel and its staff check in excellent, room excellent, cleanliness excellent, service excellent, checkout excellent.
Breakfast was free so it is hard to complain about, I have noticed the management are upgrading the breakfast, so that too will be excellent.
The location is fantastic,(despite what you read on other reviews)the hampton Inn Soho is so cose to all that NY has to offer, two subways within walking distance, fabulous Soho shopping and dining right at your door, the delights of the West Village, Tribeca, downtown, Chelsea, Greenwich Village, all so close.
We stayed there at the time the previous reviewer mentioned the problems with getting the rooms, all I can say is that I noticed staff working so hard to provide alterative arrangements for the guests, way into the night which was fantastic to see.
This hotel is spotlessly clean, well presented, very safe and very well staffed.
I cannot wait to return and have no hestiation in recommending this hotel to anyone.
thanks again Hampton Inn Soho, you were fabulous !

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CraigLloydP
Craig,

Wow, now that was another great review and thanks for taking the time out to write it. Like the previous reviewer before you I shared your comments with my staff, the loved it and it really energizes them when they see guests review us in a positive light. They really are a great staff and all work hard to make sure our guests are satisfied. You're right about the breakfast, we have added bacon, home fires and fresh made waffles in the morning. It was time a change was made and what guests have tried our new selections love it. Please tell your friends about us and again, thanks for the review, it means alot to us.

Happy Holidays to you and yours!
Chicago, IL
Reviewed October 18, 2009

This place kind of blew my mind. I just booked another room here for January 2010 and realized I never wrote a review for my July 2009 stay. If you are on somewhat of a budget yet want a top-notch place to stay, you can't get much better than Hampton Inn Soho. I got a good rate. This place is great. Super nice people in the lobby upon check-in that joked and talked to me and supplied me with many take-out menus when I asked about that. The elevators and corridors and lobby and bar are all nicely designed (and seem brand-spanking-new). I think my jaw dropped upon entering my room - plush king bed, great view, incredibly nice bathroom, flat-screen TV, decent size for NYC. Very comfortable, and they spent some time with making the decor nice (including great NYC photos on the walls). I was very happy to have stayed here, and I had a great time in New York. This hotel is close to the Village and SoHo, my two favorite neighborhoods. No complaints at all on Hampton Inn SoHo - so it definitely gets five stars from me.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Keith,

Hey, thanks for the great review. I shared it with my staff during our weekly meeting. They really get a kick when positive reviews come in like yours. Even better, you're coming back in Janaury to see the city. Glad you decided on returning and making us your hotel to stay while here again. Please stop by the office and say hi to us, we always like meeting those that write reviews both good and bad. Thanks again and see you in January!

Best Wishes for a great holiday!
aberdeen
Reviewed October 15, 2009

Good hotel with great location to all the trendy shops. Lots to do around the area and only short stroll to china town/little Italy ect.

Stayed here for 7 nights and loved the location. Room top terrace is also fantastic. Close to the Holland Tunnel but noise was not bad at all. We were in room 501 which had a ok view, only gripe little to close to elevator and heard noice during night. Put earplugs in and i was happy as larry!!!

Breakfasta good way to begin your day, basic but fresh. Good little cafe around the corner called amelia's very cheap and great eggs and coffee for so little $.

Second time in nyc and will stay there again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
karlbaugher, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo, responded to this review, October 16, 2009
Hey, thanks for the plug on Amelia's Restaurant around the corner and for reviewing our hotel. They do serve great food there. We just got the 19th Floor terrace set up with plants, trees and furniture for guests to enjoy, glad you got to enjoy it. I do hope you stay with us again, we really appreciate your business.

Best Regards,
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2009

This well maintained hotel is in a good location with friendly and helpful staff. The complimentary breakfast is really quite good, and the fitness centre and free wifi are both deserving of mention. My room (206) would have been just right but for one thing. There was a very loud and constant noise from machinery of some sort housed in a room next door. Now I know that, due to their love of airconditioning, Amercan hotel guests seem more used to noise than European ones, but it's difficult to see how a constant din on this level could be considered anything like normal. Fortunately I had industrial ear plugs with me, so I stuck it out in the interests of TA research and in the knowledge that if I was moved someone without earplugs would be given the room. I'll still recommend this hotel to anyone not getting that or other rooms in the vicinity of the noise, because apart from that it's a good place to stay.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Wansteader
karlbaugher, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo, responded to this review, October 14, 2009
Dear Wansteader,

Thanks for taking the time to write a mostly positive view on our hotel. I do aologize for the noise you experienced and this is the first time I am hearing any guest was bothered by it. That being said, it's comments like yours that make me check into situations like this. I'm going to see what insulation we can install this week to make every attempt to baffle the noise. The room in question was a boiler room so not sure what noise it was making unless it came from the outside. Again, I do apologize and will check out the problem to se if we can correct it as fast as possible.

We hope you enjoyed your stay in the states as we get a large amount of guests from UK and love it here.

Thanks again and best wishes always.