“Clean and reasonable”

Ranked #295 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Medford, New Jersey
“Clean and reasonable”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Room, clean! Bathroom clean! Location, walking distance to most downtown locations! Not great but very nice breakfast with good coffee.. Parking, close and reasonable. Price, can't get much nicer for the price plus aaa discount. Location from Holland Tunnel makes for lots of traffic at the four o'clock check-in so get there early, let them store your luggage, park and come back later. AC, responsive but alittle noisy. Overall, really pleased with the experience. Gets high marks from me. An earlier check-in time was all that was missing.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
JayKumar54, Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear JRL5,

Hampton Inn Soho thanks you for choosing our hotel while you enjoy the likes of New York City. Based on your kind feedback, looks to be that everything went smoothly and we are happy to hear that. We hope that we’ve left an everlasting impression and hope to see you return.

Jatin Kumar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Apart from having to wait until 5.30pm to check in (we arrived at 2pm) the stay was excellent. All staff were really friendly and the room was spot on, we had a great view on the 18th floor which made the room worth the wait! Close to a subway and not too noisy, the hotel was gret, would stay there again

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sussexgreen,

Thank you for choosing the Hampton Inn Soho, we are happy you chose our hotel for your trip to NYC. I want to apologize about the delay in your check-in time, this should of never occured. No excuse is good enough for that issue but I am glad that regardless of that initial situation, you ended up with a room up high and an enjoyable stay. We are happy to hear that you will be returning and look forward to it. Thank you for your feedback.

Irvine, California
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is a somewhat strange location, right at an entrance to the Holland Tunnel. So it's often gridlock in front. But, no worries. Just catch a cab at either end of the short street. Very nice staff while I was there. They work hard for you. If you are a Hilton Honors member, they treat you to waters and snacks. The hotel is a little tired here and there, but still clean. Stay on the back side and it will be quiet for you, if you want some sleep. Pretty easy Subway access. And you are not far from a a lot of good places to go in SoHo. Rooms are plenty big for New York. This is a fine business hotel and a decent place for tourists if you just need a solid place to stay and are willing to get out and walk and take the Subway.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear TVH350,

Thank you kindly for taking time out and sharing your feedback about our hotel. We are our glad our staff delivered the hospitality you deserve. We are currently going through renovations so we do apologize about certain areas you may have encountered. Thank you for choosing the Hampton Inn Soho.

Regards,

Stoneham, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Room: Clean room, responsive heat/ac, modern bathroom, very comfortable bed. No problems with noise from street or other rooms. The rooom wasn't huge but it's NYC...

Location: Easy reach to downtown by subway, nightlife via cab and the High Line via 1 mile jog.

Dining: No kitchen but a takeout place nearby will deliver to you in your room or at the bar. Hot and cold breakfast buffet includes numerous options and an enclosed patio area.

Service: The morning I checked out EVERY hotel employee I passed greeted me, a nice touch. I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: I had a corner room in the front. No view, but no noise at all.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JorMolchan
JayKumar54, Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear JorMolchan,

We greatly appreciate your feedback and are delighted to hear that your stay went smoothly. I will make sure to compliment our entire staff on giving your departure experience that nice touch you mentioned. Hopefully we’ll be seeing you here again soon. Thank you for choosing the Hampton Inn Soho.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My stay at this hotel got off to a bad start when my mother and I had to wait beyond the check-in time to get a room. I arrived at the hotel at 10 a.m. and asked about early check-in. They were sold out the night before so it was unavailable. Fair enough. I stored my luggage in the bar area. I came back to the hotel at 4 p.m., the proper check-in time, after a long day of walking around the city in the rain. The room STILL wasn't available. Then I got upset. The front desk agent was very rude - while I was standing in front of her, soaking wet, she stopped looking at my reservation to run away from the desk and greet a fellow co-worker who was just walking in. "OH MY GOD!!!! HEEEEEEY! I HAVEN'T SEEN YOU IN FOREVER, GIRL!" They hugged. They commented on each others' new hairstyle. It was all very moving. And I continued to stand at the desk with no assistance, dripping wet.

My mother and I seated ourselves in the lobby and waited until 4:30 before a room opened up. I had requested a room on a high floor away from an elevator, and I received a room on the lowest floor, closest to the elevator (though, to be fair, all of the rooms are within earshot of the elevator, as there are only about 10 rooms per floor).

The room itself was very nice for the area. I was happy with the size of the bathroom and the cleanliness of the whole room. But my unpleasant check-in really left a bad taste in my mouth. I will not be revisiting this hotel during my next trip to NY solely because of that front desk agent's unprofessionalism.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jaime C
JayKumar54, Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Dear Jaime C,

Firstly, we want to tell you how much we appreciate you allowing the Hampton Inn Soho, out of all hotels, to host your stay. It really means a lot to us as we strive to deliver the best hospitality out there in hopes of building excellent reputation.

Pushing forward, I want to sincerely apologize about the negative situation you encountered at check-in. I am personally disappointed to hear about this and can assure you we will address that issue. First impression is just as important as how an entire stay goes and I am astounded to hear about the rude check-in.

I am hoping you can reach out to me by calling our hotel or by e-mailing me at jatin.kumar@hilton.com so we can further discuss this matter. We would like to somehow get rid of that bad taste we’ve left behind.

I want to also mention that I am glad that the other parts of your stay went better. I am looking forward to our talk.

Warmest Regards,

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2012

After a disasterous flight & transfer to NYC we arrived late at the Hampton but were instantly greeted by friendly & welcoming staff! The room was spacious by New York standards and perfect for exploring the city. Everything was spotlessy clean and the bed extremely comfy. We chose this hotel for the location as we wanted to be outside of the hustle & bustle of the city but within easy travel to the main attractions. Our first day we were up early for breakfast (mainly due to our body clocks not adjusting to the time zone & my excitement @ getting to see the Rockerfella Christmas tree) The buffet style breakfast is perfect. Just help yourself to as much or as little as you like and there is something for every taste! We had great fun with the waffle maker! Then we ventured out on foot & walked the length of 5th avenue to central park. Took a while & future trips we chose the metro to maximise our few days in the big apple! In the afternoon when you arrive back to the hotel we loved the home made cookies & hot chocolate you get from the lobby, perfect for to warm us up after a day sight seeing! We loved our NYC experience & our stay @ Hampton! X

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Cooperage25,

We appreciate you choosing the Hampton Inn Soho while you vacationed in NYC. We are sorry to hear about the bad experience with your flight but are happy to hear that we made it all the better. Looks to be that you took full advantage of what we have to offer, we are glad to hear you left a satisfied costumer.

Regards,

Philadlephia
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Recently stayed here for a couple of days while attending the US Open with 2 kids. The best things about this place are the location (couple block walk from subway and Westside jogging trail), friendly and helpful staff, value (only? about $300 for a room for NYC), coffee in morning that starts early (around 6 I think), proximity to Lupe's a great local Mexican restaurant 1 block away), and the decent shower in the room. The bad things are the copious traffic on the front street (cars attempting to enter the Holland tunnel), the smokers congregating on the chairs in front of the hotel, the double beds (try sleeping with your teenage son in one!), and the quality of the free breakfast was less than desirable. But the ambience in the breakfast area was quite pleasant if you get there before all the tourists arrive around 8. I would definitely stay here again and just go pay for a nice breakfast elsewhere.

Room Tip: Away from front street
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
JayKumar54, Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan-SoHo, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear ajlcdl,

We thank you for taking time out to give us feedback regarding your stay. It is great to know that you will be returning and we hope the next time around, things go as good as the last time. We apologize about the congregation of smokers outside of our hotel as we are a strictly non-smoking hotel. Perhaps you may want to give our balcony area a try the next time, it has a great view. We hope to see you in the future, thank you kindly.

Warm Regards,