“the real deal”

Cuisines: Delicatessen
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: Consistently rated the best Bagel in New York and possibly the US. Run by the same family of bakers for 40 years.
Reviewed March 3, 2013

a vanishing breed...a real jewish deli..Great Nova.....stand in line...know the rules...pay the money
it's worth it...whitefish salad, nice......go......these places are fading even in nyc....plus for my money, the best bagel in the city......ask what's hot..............

Reviewed March 1, 2013

If you are looking for a solid local NYC bagel shop this is it!!! There is a variety of bagels and homemade cream cheese spreads. We ate here every morning and the food was great each time. However lines can get long but they move rather quickly and one morning they ran out of all bagels except for two different kinds. Great staff!!

Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

We went here mid week and had cream cheese bagels to eat in, the bagels were nice but the staff were dull and rude and the service was generally poor. The place also stinks of fish, which for some may be fine, but it put me off my bagel.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Ok so we didn't know about its reputation. Just wanted somewhere not too far from Murray Hills. Saw it in passing and you just cant go to NYC without a bagel. And loved them. Loved the atmosphere, loved the phone ringing, the internet orders, the buzz, and the Nova. Loved the NooYalk accent, "whadya want". Perfect.
So we were there as tourists. A bit more comfort to eat in would have been good.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I wanted to love Essa sooooo badly! I had heard such great things from friends that I walked a mile to find it.

You enter this old school bakery and the menu is endless. I ordered my favorite everything bagels and a breakfast bagel. The cream cheese is good and they give you a lot of it but the eggs were really watery and fell apart in my mouth without chewing. It was such a strange texture. The bagels themselves were huge but they lacked that crunchy chewy crust that I love so much. Also, they skimp on the toppings-- the bottom of the bagel doesn't have any fixings so it's really like eating a half everything/ half plain bagel and plain bagels are not my favorite. They also don't put sea salt in their everything mix which is really lacking for flavor.

Not the best..

Oh and the walnut brownie is terrible