“Great food, cozy place”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Nolita
Reviewed December 21, 2013

We were on our last day in NY, but had some time to kill before leaving for the airport. My wife had a sudden yearning for some pasta, and a quick search threw up L'asso as an inexpensive but good option. I think it's fair to say we weren't disappointed! My wife had the aglio olio, while our daughter had the carbonara and we shared a pizza (culo di porko). The pastas were very good, with our daughter rating it "the best carbonara I've had", and the pizza was excellent. The restaurant itself is a cosy little place on the corner of Mott and Canal street, and the staff were friendly.

Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

Met family and friends here on a glowing recommendation from
a cousin. Cozy casual place. Nice servers. We arrived about 6 pm and the restaurant was pretty empty. They were already completely out of meatballs which was a staple in several dishes and what my two children had planned to order. Confusing how such an establishment can't whip up some more meatballs?? My kids therefore had margarita pizza which had a mushy crust and too much red sauce. They split a bowl of spaghetti marinara which I asked to have lightly sauced and chicken added. It came soaking in sauce with about 2 oz of grilled chicken strips (for a $5 added charge). It was a small portion and not enough for my kids to split and be sated. The 5 adults split a couple of salads and 2 large pizzas. All were fine. Thin crust was good and gourmet ingredients on pizzas (brussel sprouts, asparagus, Gorgonzola, thinly sliced apples, ricotta salata) were tasty and sufficient. I thought it was marginally overpriced but not heinous. Overall, it had it's positive and negatives but was overall an average brick oven pizza and ancillary dish experience.

Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Don't be put off by the exterior of the restaurant! After reading a recommendation from a website we subscribe to we decided to try L'ASSO out. So pleased we did, organic ingredients and just soooo good. Pizza was presented to us in rectangle pans, good size portions and straight from the brick oven. All in all a great restaurant.

1  Thank Kirdosch
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Great place to go for a pizza and a wine! Wood fired pizza with a twist. Staff were helpful and you didn't have to wait too long for food to arrive.

1  Thank Jane A
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We came here since we were in the neighborhood and the pizza place across the street didn't have gluten free options, which my wife and daughters need. I like regular pizza though. Theirs tasted fine, and mine was pretty good too.
What I really didn't like about it was the rectangular shape. I ordered a medium, 21 inch pizza expecting a normal circular shape and plenty of leftovers to take home. Instead I got a 21 inch long and about 7 inch wide pizza that I ate entirely without stuffing myself (the dimensions might have been even smaller than that, see the photo). Can't believe I would have come close to finishing a medium pizza by myself. (I am not a big guy at 5-10 and normal weight.)
The waitress even warned me the 21 inch was really large to be sure I didn't over-order. I wish she explained the shape clearly or let me see the pan it would be served on before it came out. I've never seen a pie served like that especially that narrow, and felt the menu was deceptive even though I doubt they intended that. The pizza I ate was less than half the size of what I thought I was ordering. Do the math. That explains why I ate the whole thing and could have eaten more and was expecting to have leftovers.
Live and learn.