“Casual, Funky and Delicious”
Review of L'asso

L'asso
Ranked #1,573 of 14,593 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Nolita
Reviewed April 21, 2013

L'asso is a funky and casual pizza restaurant a block of Little Italy's Mulberry Street. It offers some very unique and tasty pizza options--not traditional, but very recommendable. Come here for the tasty pizza, and you'll also eat at a place committed to healthy ingredients--organic unbleached flour, organic tomatoes and tomato sauce, hormone and antibiotic free chicken, etc.

We very much enjoyed the Tartufo pizza (portobello pesto, mushrooms, smoked mozzarella, rosemary & truffle oil), which was a surprise to me since I don't enjoy mushrooms. The pizza was covered with mushrooms and they were so mild and delicious that I had a second helping. We also ordered the Bufalina (tomato sauce, fresh tomatoes, uncooked buffalo mozzarella, oregano, basil & extra virgin olive oil), and it was also very good.

My only minor complaints: First, the place is a bit cramped; the table next to ours had to move their table so we could sit down. Second, L'asso's pizza crust is not very crisp--I prefer a somewhat more crispy crust, but L'asso's crust in keeping with NY pizza traditions.

I'd definitely be back. I've yet to have better pizza on the row of Italian restaurants a block away on Mulberry. L'asso is a great option if you don't need the old-school Italian ambiance common in Little Italy and prefer some different, tasty, organic options for your pizza.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

The thin, crispy pizzas were excellent and the choices plentiful. The surroundings were relaxed and casual, just what we needed to re-charge after walking all morning. The place does get busy, though.

1  Thank michellec2010
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

I didn't realize I was so particular about my pizza. We ordered the Snow White and they piped the ricotta cheese on top of the pie. I first I was a little freaked out and then I wondered where the garlic was every time I had a question it was answered with an even better taste. Yes there was garlic and I was ricotta the crust was decent. We also had bruschetta duo which is tasty. It was a nice sitdown place I think I was in the mood for a dirty hole in the wall. All things considered it was great.

1  Thank Paganlover
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Pizzas sounded awesome on paper... execution was mediocre. Service is horrendous, I had to wait 45 minutes to get my pie after waiting for 15 to get the waiter's attention - and I went there on a Monday afternoon. I had the Mela, which is a Gorgonzola mozzarella asparagus apple pizza. The Gorgonzola was nowhere to be tasted which eventually sank the pizza. Dommage.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Arrived early on a weekend for lunch. Although I was advised that getting a gluten-free pizza would take around 20-25 minutes, it took about 40 minutes after ordering before my pizza was done. Delay aside, this was the first gluten-free pizza I've had in a restaurant that was delicious! I got the Margherita DOC while my friends split a giant Snow White that was too much for the 3 of them. Although I plan to try other gluten-free pizza places in the future, I definitely recommend L'asso and wouldn't object to returning!