“Yummy food, OK service”
Review of Ammos Estiatorio

Reserve with OpenTable
Ammos Estiatorio is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,083 of 13,937 Restaurants in New York City
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 45th & Madison
Transit: 4,5,6,7 and Metro North to Grand Central Station S or 7 from Times Square.
Description: If you feel the urge to slip off your shoes, we understand; "ammos" is Greek for "sand.” This is in airy, light-filled restaurant and lounge, where sandstone pillars conjure images of a sun-drenched Greek island.For a casual lunch, a romantic dinner, or to celebrate those special moments in your life, you found the right place. Ammos is conveniently located in the Theater District just steps away from Grand Central Station.Ammos offers a three course pre-theater menu for only $33 and the best prix-fixe lunch in town including selection of the freshest fish, brought in daily from the Mediterranean water.We import many of the fine ingredients directly from Greece, such as sea salt, dried oregano from Taygetos, capers and caper berries and many of the staples used in the dishes-like first and cold pressed extra virgin olive oil, honey and the feta cheese produced on a family farm in Greece.Choose from a wide selection of whole fresh fish brought in daily from waters around the globe. Come and taste the Fagri (Mediterranean Snapper) and the Barbounia (Red Mullets).Join us for drinks during our lounge hours - the perfect place to unwind after work before heading home on the train, and a great setting for a meet-up anytime.Ammos Estiatorio will dazzle and delight guests with two stunning venues for dining and entertaining. We can accommodate up to 200 guests for a cocktail party and 150 guests for dining, as well as smaller groups of up to 25 in our private Mezzanine area.
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Started off with the soup of the day broccoli puree which was delicious. The portion was so huge that by the time I was finished, I wasn't really hungry for my meal. Thankfully it was just a salad, which was also good. The service was only OK. They have a happy hour that is quite popular so most of the attention from waiters was on the guests in the bar area.

1  Thank USCTwin
Dimitris N, Owner at Ammos Estiatorio, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

It sounds like the broccoli soup really hit the spot -- we're thrilled to hear it! It's disappointing that the service wasn't equally as impressive, though. Each guest should receive attentive and friendly service, so we apologize. Next time you come in, we hope you're hungry enough for one of our fresh entrees! We'd love show you another great time.

All the best,

There are newer reviews for Ammos Estiatorio

Reviewed March 22, 2014

I've eaten many times here, and whether I had lunch or dinner, Ammos never disappointed me. I love its salads, each and every one of the appetizers, the grilled octopus, and the seabass "plaki". My friends swear by the "moussaka", which is very tasty. As for deserts, the galactoboureko is must. They also have a wonderful choice of Greek wines. Last but not least, the location, right across Grand Central, can't be beat.

1  Thank Antigoniesq

Thanks for sharing your lovely review! It sounds like you have your favorites all picked out, which is great. You can't beat a classic Greek dish with a glass or two of wine, right? The next time you're craving, we'll see you in!

Take care,

Reviewed March 20, 2014

third time and still great service and food. the grilled octopus salad is a keeper and the roasted snapper was fantastic!

1  Thank bjhughes26
Dimitris N, Owner at Ammos Estiatorio, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Three great trips in a row? We're thrilled to hear it! Thanks for sharing your review. We hope to welcome you back in soon for more of your favorites.

Best,

Reviewed March 6, 2014

We stumbled on this happy Greek restaurant and bar while staying beside Grand Central Station at the Roosevelt Hotel.

The main attraction was the almost endless Happy Hour that seems popular with well-heeled commuters served by excellent bar staff. $6 house wines are a rarity in New York and sometimes there is free bread and cheese on the bar. The bar is small but there are tables and stools alongside.

The menu is very much Mediterranean with many Greek dishes. There is a good choice of seafood but the preponderance of expensive Greek wines on the list represents a challenge to the wallet but good advice is available from the knowledgeable beverage director.

We ate late one night and my wife had a salad with a lot of goat's cheese but unfortunately the latter was freezing cold and had not been warmed or grilled as one would expect. On the other had I had a large tender lamb shank with an unusual gravy which I enjoyed.

On some Friday nights the place is packed out with dancing to live music.

Dimitris N, Owner at Ammos Estiatorio, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

We're so glad you stumbled our way during your stay! You can't beat $6 wines, right? Especially after a long day in the city. We're sorry to hear that the goat cheese wasn't what your wife was expecting, though. If you ever have any issues or questions about a dish, please don't hesitate to ask your server. We're always more than happy to chat and check in with the kitchen team right away!

Thanks for sharing your review with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in for many more visits!

Cheers,

Reviewed February 26, 2014

As for most restaurants in NYC it is impossible to get a "good" table or a quiet spot in this restaurant if you are by yourself, therefore business guys, think twice if you like to enjoy a meal in this place.
The good part is that I showed up early (30 min) and I was seated, not without a little begging involved.
The drinks came fast, as the bread and the olives. The bread was a little aged....
Ordered the risotto, which it took a little while to arrive. Well cook, however poor in taste, which it was saved by the well cooked and seasoned prawns and single scallop. Interesting enough was the garnish placed in top of the centered placed scallop, a branch of parsley that had seen a better life maybe 2 weeks ago. I noted this last because in a high end restaurant like Ammos pretend to be the details like this one and the mentioned bread, make a difference.
I would come again, only if I can seat in a quiet place where I do not have to listen to my table neighbors stories so clearly, and I can hear my own thoughts
Overall, I am disappointed and I would think carefully if I like to return to this pretentious, loud, but service friendly place.
I am sure there are better greek restaurants in the city.

1  Thank Alex O