“Nice Cuban restaurant, quaint and a touch of Havana, Paladar feel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Cafe Cortadito

Cafe Cortadito
Ranked #8,829 of 13,551 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Latin, Cuban, Caribbean
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: East Village
New York
“Nice Cuban restaurant, quaint and a touch of Havana, Paladar feel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

I had a nice dinner with family and friends at Cafe Cortadito. This small and quaint restaurant on the lower east side - Soho area of New York City offers a feeling of being in a paladar in Havana (a touch of La Guarida here with the candle lit tables, art on the walls, and kitchen in view) with style. The owner is around and asks how is everything to the guests. So there is attention to customer satisfaction. The food is very tasty. We ordered the Picadillo (ground beef cooked Cuban style) - very good, full of flavor, Rabo Encendido (Oxtails Spicy Style) waiter told me they serve 4 pieces, but was actually served 3 (note to kitchen), and the Seafood Paella was a full plate (actually could have served two people easy). The wine list is par for a restaurant like this. Some good Malbecs on that list but list needs expanding or allow BYOB. The Alma Negra Malbec was particularly good. However, they do not allow you to bring your own bottle of wine. The restaurant should change this policy and simply charge a corkage fee for BYOB. For dessert we had a flan which was quite creamy, well done and presented. The vanilla and caramel flavors begin from the aroma to the melt in your mouth feel of the custard. Very rich, so you may want to share dessert as we did. The Cuban coffee is very good. One suggestion I hope they also make at Cafe Cortadito is to play Cuban music - mambos or salsas in the background, not to loud so conversation is not interrupted, but to add another level to the experience. Fairly priced, Cafe Cortadito turns the heat up on the competition in New York City. Sabroso. Enjoy... Reservations suggested. I will be back...

• Visited November 2011

Petropolis, RJ
“Honest Cuban food, great atmosphere, fast friendly service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

I went by myself one cold Saturday night in November. Everybody seemed to be having such a good time. Music well chosen, a little too loud. The menu is brief but pretty much covers the gamut of Cuban cuisine. Good wine by the glass. Fast friendly service.

New Haven, Connecticut
“Best Cuban Food to date. Better than Victor's.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2010

I went to this very sm. restaurant w/ few expectations, and left knowing I would return over and over again. Perhaps it was the outstanding food, or the friendly service. It could have been my white sangria, which seemingly came in an endless glass. No matter, one of the nicest restaurant experiences in recent memory.

New York City, New York
“Very Unfriendly Place for Solo Travelers”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2010

A friend was in NYC this past weekend and she and I were to meet at Cafe Cortadito for dinner at 5:30. I was running late and when I got off the subway at 5:40 I called her immediately to let her know I was on the way. She said she was outside the restaurant and it was cold, and that they'd not allowed her to wait for me inside the restaurant. I said let them know I'm a few minutes away and go in and get warm! When I arrived at Cafe Cortadito a few minutes later my friend was still outside. She said she'd asked if she could have a beer inside while she waited for me and that I was almost there, and was told "no". There were tables available. I wonder what they would have done had she come totally on her own? Does this place deny tables for solo diners? Would that even be legal? I am appalled by this place and the rude, unfriendly behavior of its staff.

3 Thank CelesteFrancesca
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“From savory apps to dulcet deserts, the...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2010

From savory apps to dulcet deserts, the food is consistently delicious. For the main course, I highly recommend the ropa vieja, arroz con pollo, or plaintain-encrusted trout. And for dessert, it's a toss up between the bread pudding, tres leches cake, and flan; but if I had to choose, I'd say the flan couple with a cortadito espresso.

The wine list is also very reasonable, offering several decent bottles in the $25 to $35 range

The presentation is far more exquisite than you would expect from a Cuban restaurant, and elevates the restaurant into a class of its own. .

1 Thank nuyakcity