“What A Find”

Neighborhood: Chelsea
Cross street: Between 21st & 22nd
Transit: E train
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We went for a walk from our hotel room and found this gem of a restaurant. The service was great, the food was great and the portions plentiful. The only downfall was the hostess, she was very busy texting, and paid no attention that we were waiting to be seated. I'm sure people have walked away. To bad cause they missed a great meal.

There are newer reviews for Il Bastardo

Reviewed September 8, 2012

Whilst visiting NYC we were meeting up with a friend from NYC we hadn't seen in 18 months. Obviously, this would involve conversation. Sadly we had been advised that this restaurant was great and no mention was made of a live band playing when I called up to book.

Whilst the food was great and we had cocktails too we had to ask to be moved to the back of the restaurant so we could hear ourselves speak. The band were live and LOUD! Guitars, Bongos and 3 people singing! Even in the back area we struggled to hear one another. I think the management at this restaurant need to decide if they want to be a restaurant and cater towards that end or be a live venue where people come in to listen to music and drink at the bar. The current mix does not work.

Food wise we all liked it but we definitely won't be returning on our next visit!

1  Thank st5om
Reviewed September 5, 2012

A massive restaurant that is totally empty. This should be your cue to keep walking.

My wife and I ordered dinner: salads, pastas and a bottle of wine. The wine and the service were the highlights of the meal. The salads were actually tasty. Fresh greens nicely dressed and the service was polite and attentive.

The pastas were another matter. The waiter said the pastas were made in house, however my goat cheese ravioli were overcooked and the filling was ricotta based on the texture. The ravioli didn't have any flavor, and I'd say they were pre-made frozen pasta. The "sundried vodka tomato sauce" was a plain red sauce (possibly premade, no signs of from scratch cooking) that also lacked flavor. I could've recreated the dish by opening a box of fresh pasta and jar of sauce at home.

With so many wonderful restaurants in NYC, skip this one.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Working in the hospitality industry, I appreciate great, and even standard service. However, when bare minimums aren't even met, a person should be compensated in some way.

Hostess was beyond rude from the moment we walked in door, did not give us menus, told us she had no idea where we should put our bags (were going on train after). I also called her the morning of the reservation to make sure she had the birthday note for my friend, reminding her to PLEASE do something, whether it just be writing 'happy bday' on a plate or a few strawberries with a candle. Needless to say, no one ever did anything or said happy birthday, she didnt even tell the waiters of the special request. We had the SLOWEST service, couldn't even tell who our waiter was because anytime they did check on us, it was a different person.

WORST PART: I asked to speak to manager, and as I was telling him my complaints, he turned and WALKED AWAY as I was still speaking, leaving me clueless how he would compensate us. He later yelled at us (in a condescendingly manner) telling us that we are RIDICULOUS and that we were EMBARASSING ourselves... If anything, I was embarassed that a restaurant establishment would allow someone so inept in the world of hospitality to manage a brunch crowd, and sad that my friends birthday brunch was ruined.

2  Thank BOSfoodLover
Reviewed May 31, 2012

After meeting with the Manager and calling a few times before our party of 20, I was reassured they were experienced and all would go smoothly. It was a party for my 81 year old Dad. Granted, the Manager and staff were warm and friendly but they seated us in front at one long table, despite that we requested the back, more private room, and a scattered-table seating for people to mill around and socialize. The service was slow. I had NO IDEA it would not be air-conditioned on a day with a temperature of 85 degrees. As the host, I was worried the whole time that our guests were as uncomfortable as I was; I was sweating through the entire party. The food, I thought, was okay. Overall, I wish I had done better research before throwing a party here.

1  Thank KillerLove