“Surprised, pleasantly.”

Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Transit: 23rd Street (6 Train), 14th Street-Union Square Station (N,Q,R,W Trains, L Train, 4,5,6 Trains)
Description: For over 10 years, Via Emilia has been providing the Gramercy/ Flatiron neighborhoods with quality home-style Northern Italian cuisine. The authentic fare includes fresh-daily pastas, locally sourced vegetables and meats, as well as regional specialties like Modenese lasagna and Borlengo mountain bread. Our wine list focuses on Emilia-Romagnan wines, and boasts the largest selection of Lambruscos in the US. Whether you are looking to book a large party or an intimate dinner, Via Emilia can accommodate your needs.
Reviewed December 2, 2015

I have walked past this restaurant for years and never stopped in. Well this past week i did and I'm glad. Had a nice family dinner, good, solid italian food, very well priced, especially if you're just looking for pasta. The service was very solid. It could be my new "go to" Italian neighborhood restaurant.

The entire family enjoyed their meals - we all had pasta. Each dish was well prepared.

Unfortunately didn't have dessert because we were so full, so can't provide feedback tehre.

Reviewed November 20, 2015

Been goin gto Via Emilia for about 10 years or so (when they used to be located on Park ave). Seriously some of the best Italian food in NYC and I have been to Italy many times so I am a bit of a mini expert. The food is homemade and simply fabulous. My Favorite is the pumpkin torelloni, and the chicken pasta with truffle oil. everything on the menu is amazing, its a very delicious hidden gem. I dont love the décor (it reminds me of Ikea or a carpet store) but that's not important, the food is awesome and if you want great fresh homemade pasta at a reasonable price, make a reservation ! ps bravo to the amazing (real Italian - accent and all) waiter we had as our server last night)

Reviewed November 18, 2015

The thought of a restaurant that truly focused on the food and wine of Emilia Romagna was too tempting for me to not try. While the restaurant bills itself as Modenese, you'll find a mix of dishes and wines from all over Emilia and Romagna. I don't know of too many places where one can get gnocco fritto or tigelle in the U.S. so I had to get some gnocco fritto with affetati to start. Of course, paired with a glass of Lambrusco. That was filling so rather than go for taglietelle as my primo, I opted for tortellini in brodo. All very very good. I'll stick with five stars despite a couple of reservations.

So, the wine list had wines from Rimini, Bologna and throughout Emilia Romagna. What threw me off, though, was that the wine list only had one Lambrusco. It wasn't event a Grasparossa or one of the other varieties like Salamino di Santacroce or Sorbara. That was odd to me, especially since I heard Balugani was on the wine list. So, of course, I ordered the only Lambrusco that was available. What I found scandalizing, though, was that the "wine of the day" was a Cote de Provence rose'.

????

C'mon Via Emilia... your wine list highlights the wine of Emilia Romagna. Who in the world made a French rose' your wine of the day? That's great in a brasserie but not in here.

Also, my waiter was not letting me sit and enjoy my time... I was feeling a bit rushed which made no sense since I ate late and the restaurant was not overly busy.

Still, I'd go back just for the gnocco fritto. Maybe some cotechino would be good to add on the menu...

1  Thank Brichford
Reviewed October 16, 2015

A sleek contemporary interior, attentive and friendly staff. Although a northern Italian restaurant I was in the mood for a steak. And what a great piece of beef it was! I had the skirt steak with pom frites and my friend had a shrimp with pasta dish. I'll end with this, there was nothing, nothing left on either of our plates!!!!

2  Thank Michael C
Reviewed September 25, 2015

The area around Via Emilia is packed with now and happening restaurants, filled with young hipsters, loud conversation and high pitched laughter that clearly resonates with one drink too many, finding Via Emilia was a blessing because it's a peaceful oasis where you can actually hear a conversation and enjoy the great food.
We started with the Borlengo and Gnocco fritto both of which were delicious beyond our expectations, then continued on to the Lasagne which was exceptional in it's crispness and savory flavor, and finished with a Torta Tipo Barozzi Con Mascarpone
(flour less chocolate cake with creamy sweet mascarpone) that was a golden closing to the meal

1  Thank Deluxpinion