Via Emilia
Reserve with OpenTable
Via Emilia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,997 of 14,202 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Flatiron District
Transit: 23rd Street (6 Train), 14th Street-Union Square Station (N,Q,R,W Trains, L Train, 4,5,6 Trains)
Description: For over 10 years, Via Emilia has been providing the Gramercy/ Flatiron neighborhoods with quality home-style Northern Italian cuisine. The authentic fare includes fresh-daily pastas, locally sourced vegetables and meats, as well as regional specialties like Modenese lasagna and Borlengo mountain bread. Our wine list focuses on Emilia-Romagnan wines, and boasts the largest selection of Lambruscos in the US. Whether you are looking to book a large party or an intimate dinner, Via Emilia can accommodate your needs.
Reviewed March 20, 2013

This restaurant has become our favorite place to eat authentic Italian food in New York City. The chef/owner, William, welcomes you with open arms and makes you feel like you are in Modena, his hometown. Modena is in the Emilia region of Italy and the region is recognized as having the best food in Italy. William has been able to recreate the same eating experience in the Big Apple!
The Tigelle starters are a traditional Modenese food and are a must. The pastas make you feel like you are in Italy: the Squash Tortelloni with sage, the Caramelle di Castelvetro, and Wiliiam's signature Lasagna are all exquisite and must all be experienced!
And William is a great guy! He is a fountain of knowledge and makes you fell like you are dining in his home in Modena! He only needs more time to spend with all of his customers!!

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Our favorite restaurant in New York. Pasta is homemade, and everything is imported from Modena, Italy. Not your traditional Italian. Try the Borlengo, a thin, crispy bread with rosemary and parmesan cheese.Recognized in the New York Times and something you won't be able to eat at any other restaurant unless you go to Modena. Gnocco Fritto with prosciutto is also a must. Then onto the primi piatti or pasta dishes. All of them are delicious and homemade. Entrees to try are Cotechino, a modenese sausage wrapped in veal and prosciutto, Chingalle, a wild boar with a rich gravy that is delicious. The mint and earl grey Panna Cotta was delicious and the Profiteroles, zabaglione and chocolate flourless torte are always a must have. They have a nice variety of imported wines. My mouth is watering as I write and I am anxious to head back to New York to eat there again.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

I'm young but I've travelled a lot in my life.
I am italian (a true "Modenese") and love Italian cuisine. I have tried Italian restaurants wherever I have happened to be and obviously compared them to the ones I used to go with family/friends when I was much younger and was still living in Modena.
Well, the experience of "Via Emilia" was shocking: one of the best restaurant where I have ever been, certainly the best Italian (and "Modenese") restaurant outside Modena.
Truth to be told I have only tried "gnocco fritto con prosciutto crudo", "tortellini in brodo", "caramelle", "cotechino in galera" and "pannacotta".
The "gnocco fritto" and "tortellini in brodo" were even better than the vast majority of other restaurants in Modena, pretty similar to those my old grandma used to cook for us. The "pannacotta" deserves a note, as well: tender, sweet…way above the average pannacotta you usually eat at restaurants.
The chef, a true Modenese emigrated in NY more than 20 years ago is kind, willing if you have questions and always present.
In conclusion, a great restaurant with lots of tasty (yummy) courses. Needs a visit if you are in search of true, genuine, authentic Italian food.

1  Thank LucaLCModena
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I've been to this restaurant twice and was impressed both times. It's in a great location and the prices are really good by NYC standards. My friends enjoyed their sparking red wine. The best part was they don't rush you out like many places do. Great place to meet friends for dinner!

Reviewed December 11, 2012

My wife and I have been going to Via Emilia for many years. It is our top choice for Italian cuisine in NYC. We have never had a bad meal here. Everything is made to perfection. William Mattiello the chef / owner brings to NY the food his family has enjoyed in the home country.

His lasagna is probably the best I ever had. An 8" square 1" high piece of lasagna heaven, super rich and tasty. The grilled squid appetizer is a must have if it's on the menu. William's menu is seasonal and the specials change daily. In the Winter they served us some of the best hot chocolate we have ever tasted. Made with imported Dark Italian chocolate!

William's wine list is also as original as his cooking. William and his wife import some of the finest Lambrusco wines to be had in NYC. These are not the cheap Lambruscos that you find in your neighborhood wine store. The Lambruscos at Via Emilia are a must, we have never been disappointed, they have all tasted great.

Give William's cooking a try you will not be disappointed. This may well become one of your favorites too!

1  Thank B_Skyscraper